Crazy HFCS Commercial

• I can't believe what I just saw yesterday. I am maybe behind the times here because I don't watch that much TV, but it was about HFCS. It had two teenagers discussing how it wasn't that bad for you and could be enjoyed in moderation.
    I dont think that's very ethical.
    Have these commercials been on a long time?
  • Yeah... there have been a few threads discussing it, too.
    It's craziness!! One poster noted that she was encouraged by the commercials - meaning the general public is getting smarter about ingredients and HFCS manufacturs are getting scared. I think thats a good take on the issue!
  • And there's new research out about how HFCS suppresses leptin and leads to obesity in rats (leptin signals satiety, so you'll stop eating HFCS blocks this so you eat more.) We try to avoid it in my family, but it's in so many things!
  • Jees they were promoting it? That's crazy. Unethical, like you said, Greeneggsandtam.
  • If you watch the commercial closely you will see it is produced by the Corn Growers Association...they just countered the original anti HFCS commercials in fear of losing a GIGANTIC revenue maker for them...
  • Ugh, these commericals sicken me. I avoid HFCS like the plague now.
  • Quote: If you watch the commercial closely you will see it is produced by the Corn Growers Association...they just countered the original anti HFCS commercials in fear of losing a GIGANTIC revenue maker for them...
    Jennifer wrote a press release for a company that only sells natural foods that don't contain HFCS (etc) and she was swamped with email and snail mail letters from the Corn Growers Assoc in DC, accusing her of misguiding the public. They are really campaigning hard!
  • I saw that commerical the other day and almost could not believe my eyes, I mean they compared the "stuff" to real sugar, which is just as bad IMO! It is the same as comparing street drugs, like, "what is better, crack or pot?" Plain craziness!!
  • I think the scary part, is that it's one of the most factually accurate commercials we see. HFCS probably is safe in moderation (sugar too) - but how many folks in the USA are using moderation with either? (besides which, what is moderation anyhow? Most people figure it's what they are using and anyone using less is paranoid and anyone using more is going overboard).

Commercials are all lies. Axe will not make beautiful women attack nerds. Beer will not make you sexier. Hallmark cards do not draw families closer together....
  • I have been seeing this commercials for awhile now and i was in complete shock. I cant stand how they act like the person that thinks its bad, cant come up with a reason why its bad so it must be ok. ICK. It just sickens me.