Feeling Fat

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Can you believe this? In high school I weighed only 140lbs, and I thought I was a cow. I hated my body and everything about it and wanted to always be thinner. Now I am 240lbs after a baby too (she is 14 months old) no reason for me to be this overweight though. I have lost weight. I was up to 260 and slowly losing it now.

But when I look back at pictures of me now at 140lbs and think about how I felt about my body I feel stupid. I wasn't fat, still in a healthy weight range, not the skinniest person in the world, but I was by no means fat, and NOW I am FAT!

Does anyone else feel that way about the way they use to weigh?
  • Oh yeah. I felt the same way in high school, at 145 lbs. - which is my goal weight now! My perception of my body was so out of whack.
  • I think it's very common. Nothing like a different perspective and a little age to make us realize how unnatural our society expects our bodies to be.
  • I hear you! I was 140 as well, and always thought I was fat, now I know differently. I'd love to be 140 again!
  • I am the exact same way! I'd do ANYTHING to just be 180 again, let alone 140!
  • Yeah I was 145 in high school and I would LOVE to be that way again....only then I thought I was fat so basically i was borderline anorexic and this time it is all HEALTHY
  • i was never skinny in school....
    im thinner now than i was then....
  • I never remember thinking I was skinny... I was around 105 through High School and remember thinking I would never be over 120 pounds no matter how much I ate. I was the biggest out of my best friends.. One was 5'7" and 98 pounds and the other was shorter about 5' and under 90 pounds. I remember we couldn't even give blood at the the blood drive in High School. BUT even then I didn't think I was thin enough. Don't get me wrong I wasn't obsessed with losing more weight but I just didn't think i had a "good" body even when I was getting a lot of positive feedback from people. At one point my parents did take me to a doctor b/c I was malnutrientioned which was acutally due to depression not an eating disorder.

My point is that I think that especially during adolescent no one is every happy with what they have.... even the skinny popular girls.

I do believe that it would have been harder to be overweight in H.S. and definitely can appreciate the hurt people can inflict on others. I'm glad I was never mean to anyone for being over weight.

I joined Facebook recently and a bunch of my old H.S classmates found me and they all look the same... I'm the ONLY one who has gained weight from what I can tell. I'm sure they are all talking about it LOL oh well

Anyway... i guess i was sort of venting and TMI
  • Quote:
    My point is that I think that especially during adolescent no one is every happy with what they have.... even the skinny popular girls.
    I think you're so right! When you're a teenage girl the hormones, the other girls, the wanting guys attention, all of that contributes to make you never satisfied with yourself.
  • SAME thing for me!! I thought I was always the big girl! In middle school I was, but then I evened out in high school, but never really knew it..looking at the pictures, I can't believe I didn't embrace it and keep it that way..college was the killer..it was all over after that. Until now. I'll get there. I will. I have to. I WANT to!
  • I remember being 120 and thinking i was too chubby!
  • How much our perspective changes! I remember crying for weeks because I had "ballooned" up to 125 pounds from 105 pounds between my soph. and junior year in high school. I crash dieted back down, of course, and now pay the price for those years of yo-yo dieting with my current snail-like metabolism. Silly teenaged me!
  • No matter my weight, I've always felt fat (especially as a 100 lb 8th grader!). Soooo basically I need to ignore how I feel, since it is unchanging, and go by objective measures, which is something I've learned to do.
  • I was overweight since 2nd grade, I can't remember ever being thin.
  • When I look back at myself at 85lbs I still see fat. I don't think I was ever thin enough but I know that it's ridiculous and I don't need to go back there. The goal weight I have chosen is reasonable and healthy, regardless of if I get there and still think I'm fat. My perception is still skewed so I've got to work with what is logical not what looks right to me.