Samhain?

• So, how does everybody celebrate/how are you planning to celebrate Samhain?
  • I hide inside w/ hubby and watch movies all night. We always start with Shaun of the Dead.
    I will usually spend some time by myself remembering people who have passed too.
  • what is samhain?
  • Samhain (pronounced Sow-WHEN): Samhain marks one of the two great doorways of the Celtic year, for the Celts divided the year into two seasons: the light and the dark, at Beltane on May 1st and Samhain on November 1st. Some believe that Samhain was the more important festival, marking the beginning of a whole new cycle, just as the Celtic day began at night.
    With the rise of Christianity, Samhain was changed to Hallowmas, or All Saints' Day, to commemorate the souls of the blessed dead who had been canonized that year, so the night before became popularly known as Halloween, All Hallows Eve, or Hollantide. November 2nd became All Souls Day, when prayers were to be offered to the souls of all who the departed and those who were waiting in Purgatory for entry into Heaven. Throughout the centuries, pagan and Christian beliefs intertwine in a gallimaufry of celebrations from Oct 31st through November 5th, all of which appear both to challenge the ascendancy of the dark and to revel in its mystery.

Thanks to the following article: http://www.chalicecentre.net/samhain.htm
    (chalicecenter samhain article)
  • I generally only celebrate the solstices and equinoxes, so nothing special is really planned for Samhain.

I did put out Halloween decorations, though.
  • I am Asatru, so I don't celebrate Samhain, but I do celebrate Winternights which for our kindred is coming up a week from Saturday. The plan is to get together, have a blot, then eat, then have our sumble.

I am cooking a 15 pound pork roast with apples, and a honey cake. My kindred sister is making side dishes.
  • We are having a full-on Samhain ritual...I can't WAIT!!!