Stretch marks from losing weight?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This is weird, but it seems that overnight I've accumulated fresh stretch marks...can you get stretch marks from losing weight? The're just on my stomach, which is where I carry a fair amount of the weight, but I lost 10lbs so far, how can I gain stretch marks?
  • im not sure, maybe you always had them but now they are more visible?
  • hmm, no, they look new and the're small right now, the biggest one is maybe 1 inch long, theres a few other smaller ones...its just very strange. My old stretch marks are all faded to white now, thats why I noticed the new ones...weird
  • I've heard that you can get stretch marks when your skin expands OR contracts too quickly....so maybe you're losing weight from your stomach right now?
  • Quote: I've heard that you can get stretch marks when your skin expands OR contracts too quickly....so maybe you're losing weight from your stomach right now?

that would be awesome lol I'll take the new stretch marks for a less fatty stomach lol, they fade eventually anyways
  • mine were definatley more visible about 10 ago....
    now they seem to be fading in....
    which is fantastic!....
  • I also got some after about 10 lbs. Some advice from my Cousin who just gave birth said that she kept her skin moist so it could expand and contract, by using lotion and she barely got any. So, I've been putting on some lotions every night to help keep my skin "flexible".
  • yeah, i've had a problem with stretch marks so i've been putting on cocoa butter to try to moisturize them every night...
  • Jayohwhy is rite u can use coco butter and it fades them so there not so noticable. I have them on my stomach 2 but there pretty faded even though I've lost 15 lbs in 2 months.
  • That happens to my sister, when she loses weight too fast, she gets stretch marks.
  • It is totally possible. I got new stretch marks when i first starting losing. Losing rapidly does the same thing to your skin as gaining rapidly.
  • Mmm I have in my boobs.. Ive heard the red/purple ones fade easier than the white ones..
    The trick is to use a LOT of lotion.. probably you got some when gaining weight and others when loosing it... the trick? not to gain weight again LOL sounds easier than it is!
    Cocoa butter? anybody know a good brand? My aunt is in the US right now, so maybe I can ask her to bring me.. any advise?
  • Honestly, I've heard that stretch marks have more to do with genetics than anything else. If you are genetically predisposed to them, you can swim in lotion morning noon and night and still get them. Seriously, I know. I've been using cocoa butter, something new called Vita-K and CoQ10&Copper religiously in an attempt to prevent new ones/fade old ones. The problem isn't that they're red-they're white. But like I can see them. And they are like little indents. So it's not so much the color I'm worried about as the texture I suppose-if that makes any sense.

Does anyone know of anything, aside from the cocoa butter, that actually works when the marks aren't red? Bc I would LOVE to hear any advice on the topic...bc serioulsy, i have them on my thighs, which means even if I lose 40 lbs I can never wear shorts again-bc they're soo noticable! urgh.

sorry for the side tangent =).
  • Hi everyone, I have strech marks as well, in my butt and the sides of my tummy (not sexy at all). I've bought Strivectin-SD cream about a year ago, I've used it for about a week then stopped using it (just because I am lazy to put it on twice a day). I am going to start using it again tonight and hope that those nasty stretch marks will fade
    Cocoa butter is also good, but it would take longer for them to fade away.
  • You can use creams day and night and it doesn't really do much. A lot of it has to do with genetics. BUt you can getthem from extreme shrinking or expanding of your skin. My suggestion is to drink lots of water to keep your body hydrated and use olive oil often in cooking. Ahhh the joy of stretch marks!