Happy Autumn, Everyone!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • thanks for the welcome to new england, ms. welcome wagon faerie

thankfully, i sold my car before i moved up here and am strictly a pedestrian. i say thankfully b/c there are a bunch of non-driving peeps around these parts. so yes, i will be walking in a winter wonderland and am in the market for a good pair o'boots. fairy dust snow sounds lovely. and i miss the it's been grey here for days now. suppose i need to get used to it? also, and i've always been meaning to tell ya this, i think it's rad that yer location reads "terra firma".

dig the norris, zenobar.
  • Autumn and winter are my favorite times of year, I absolutely love 'em. Something about this time of year just makes me feel more hopeful and comfortable. All the dark nights, the lights, the atmosphere, the leaves! Ooooh!!! I love it
  • Quote: Faerie - just wanted to agree with you that fall is, in fact, the absolute best time of year, and I wanted to wish you the most wonderful fall wedding!

(I have big plans for a fall wedding, too. Only, I suppose I ought to find a groom sometime...)

Today was the first really fallish day here in Ann Arbor. Chilly, a little overcast, the smell of yellow leaves on the wind... Heaven.
    When the fiancee & I were still talking about "when", we mentioned maybe in May of this year to make it sooner. But I have always wanted a Fall Wedding, and so he said "We only get to do it once, so we better have it when you really want it, not just to "get it over with"." I'm very happy we waited for the Fall. My heart is lifting already.

Definitely a heavenly season

Quote: thanks for the welcome to new england, ms. welcome wagon faerie
    Hey that is my job!

Quote:
    thankfully, i sold my car before i moved up here and am strictly a pedestrian. i say thankfully b/c there are a bunch of non-driving peeps around these parts. so yes, i will be walking in a winter wonderland and am in the market for a good pair o'boots. fairy dust snow sounds lovely. and i miss the it's been grey here for days now. suppose i need to get used to it? also, and i've always been meaning to tell ya this, i think it's rad that yer location reads "terra firma".
    Yeah, no need for cars in the Boston area. Not to be creepy or stalkerish, but have I mentioned that by the end of October we'll actually be somewhat of neighbors, ollie I'm going to be living in a town about an hour from Boston.

Ha ha, like that? I was being all deep But seriously, it's good to be reminded that I'm on firm ground and all that jazz. And, although I've mentioned many a time that I live in Southern CT, I didn't want it completely plastered all over the intarwebs on my every post. I may change it when I move... or just add in my new location area.

ETA: Oh & yes, it gets gray here. So if you've got SADD start pulling out the sun lamps. It makes New England a little more somber sometimes. That being said, the weather changes often.
  • neighbor deighbors! awesome, faerie.

i live in a town 8 miles outside of boston. funny, that you say you'll be moving an hour away from boston b/c that means absolutely nothing to me. where i am originally from it was easy. an hour meant 60 miles if you were going 60 mph. easy. cause there was no traffic! up here, on some days it takes like an hour to get 15 miles. weird!

so marriage and move! you have a big, busy and exciting fall ahead, huh?

and i am super stoked about having an actual fall. where i moved from it was a loooong summer then fall for maybe a week or so then winter.
  • What temp is it up in New England?

It's averaging 85ish around here. It's a relief from the summer, but 80ish would be nice.
  • It is "officially" fall weather here in my area of Washington....it's been a little gray over the last couple weeks, with some pretty sunny days in the 70's () thrown in.

Today, however, it was pouring rain off and on, not to mention VERY windy...it was raining diagonally, not quite horizontally, but close. Leaves blowing off the trees, which are now completely orange/yellow/brown/red......Hooray!!! I love this season.
  • enjoying a bootyful "altweibersommer" over here (literal translation: old ladies' summer-equivalent to new england's fantastic indian summer-can you still say that??...) just baked an a whole-grain apple cake with freshly harvested apples....hmmmmmm
  • Quote: awwwww! cranberries don' grow on this continent.
    I don't know if I could live without cranberries, especially on Thanksgiving! Another CON on the PRO/CON checklist my husband and I drew up about whether or not we could ever move back to Poland
  • I have a total love/hate relationship with fall... I love fall and the smells and the colors and, aw yeah, the boots! but in the back of my mind I keep thinking the days are getting shorter and shorter and I hate that! I hate the short, cold, wet days of what seems to be forever winters here.
    LOL, when I lived in Alaska the first year, I was so anxious to get to summer and be rid of the snow, until summer did come and the snow DID melt and all that was under all the beautiful white crystal-like snow was dirt! muddy, dirty dirt! everywhere, always! then all i wanted was for the snow to return...
  • same here missy. i'm def not a fan of winter! not even southern winters, so i know what's coming and i def have a hate relationship with that. i saw on my day planner last night that daylight savings time is ending soon and i actually let out a childlike "awww, man!"

however, it's beautiful here in new england right now. i made some very fall butternut squash soup over the weekend and have pulled out my trunk o'sweaters. i've gotten in the habit of putting on the tea kettle every night and breathing deeper when i am outside. the air is so crisp and clean!

only downside is--i'm so friggin busy with school i haven't time to enjoy much of it. i wish i could report back on how i went canoeing or hiking or fall foliage sight seeing, but so far it's been lifting my nose out of a book and peeping out the window or enjoying it for a mile walk on my way to sit in a classroom. grrr.

hopefully next weekend i'll at least have one day to go leaf seeing....i hear it's a must round these parts.

happy autumn-ing!