jogging question..

• I am a total newb when it comes to exercise.. so i was wondering if it is ok to jog 2x/day (approx 30 mins. each time). And should i take any days off?

Thanks!
  • For me, the jogging 30 min twice a day would be difficult. My concern would be burn out. You want to start gradually and then work you way up to more intense work outs. I also found that I got shin splints when I jogged. If you are able to maintain that I'd so go for it though.

I would definitely take one day off a week if not two.
  • There would be nothing wrong with splitting up your workout I don't think, but I wouldn't be able to keep myself motivated. I bore easily I think.
    A suggestion would be to find a different kind of cardio that you also like to do, if you tire of jogging twice a day. Examples:
    -intervals
    -cycling
    -swimming
    -a fitness class
    -aquafit
    Anyways. Those are just suggestions, good luck!
    Tam
  • I think 60 minutes a day of jogging for a total newb is way too much and asking for injury. Assuming you can jog 30 minutes at a time (I know I sure couldn't at first, I only just barely jogged 20 minutes after 5 weeks of working up to it with walk/run intervals), it still takes time for your joints and ligaments to get used to it. I'd be afraid you will hurt yourself.

Check out C25K (Couch to 5K):

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Thanks for the responses.. I am going to work my way up to that... I am no where close to that yet, I just wanted to know for future reference .. Currently I walk/power-walk and that is enough for now lol
  • Quote: Thanks for the responses.. I am going to work my way up to that... I am no where close to that yet, I just wanted to know for future reference .. Currently I walk/power-walk and that is enough for now lol

Oh good. You scared me a little.

BTW, there's lots of great running threads. Several are based on the C25K program (in the Support Forum - Challenge subform). Also see the Cool Running thread in the Exercise Forum.