Binge Amnesia

• Hi Chicks,
    I'm writing because I want to know if I'm the only one who does this: when I binge, I forget a big part of what I had. It's kind of all a blur. Don't get me wrong, I do remember a lot of it, but when I read your posts and you can list all the things you had, I find it amazing because I can't remember all that much. I usually don't just binge in one meal. Once I make a mistake, it might go on all day long. Am I the only one?
  • I dont know, do you think that is some kind of subconscious denial, 'if I dont acknowledge it, it wont really be there..' Alot of people her know what they eat because they keep a record, a pencil and paper come in handy just to write things down AS you eat them just so you dont overdo it.
  • I have, at times, gone into what can only be described as a trance-like state when I'm binging, and I have not always remembered exactly what or how much I ate. I really don't think it's all that unusual...I had a friend who, years ago, was addicted to cocaine...he never remembered how much he did when he was binging. He used to tell me that he'd even forget where exactly he'd done it, and not because cocaine "messes" you up. He'd have crystal clear memories of who he'd seen, what they talked about and where he went out, but not so clear on using the actual drug.
  • In my younger days, when I was full blown into binging/purging -- I felt like I almost blacked out during my binge, like it was some kind of out of body experience -- I always felt I was an odd one for this. Apparently, it's not unusual to seperate yourself from the unpleasant experience. Thank goodness, I've moved away from that extent .