Finding strength through Spirit

• Aaaaaah Yeeah..... I think I found <enter deep echo> MY PEOPLE!!!

I was born & raised Catholic, but congratulate me folks, as I escaped without too much harm back in the '80s!
    I have always been an incredibly Spiritually minded woman, and have searched for years as to where I felt MOST comfortable. After leaving the Catholic church, much to the dismay of my Catholic Sicilian Mother (who incidentally is STILL waiting for me to baptize my children into THE faith ) I found the Baptists and discovered, I was quite unhappy there as well, as was I in all of the christian demoninations.
    Theeeeeen I found the Pagans, specifically the Wiccans. I dedicated, and went 1st and 2nd degree Wicca but found myself after 10+ years needing something different still.
    Most everything I learned about in the Neo-Pagan counterculture I agreed with but yet, I still felt myself lacking something.
    I used to have a girlfriend named Barbi who has since passed over. She always wore a pentacle AND a cross around her neck. When asked what she believed in, she simply said, "Barbi's Religion". When asked what in the world THAT was, she replied... "I believe in kindness. I think everything has it's good aspects, as there are always aspects that are bs. I have chosen to take the best of what's out there... roll it up into a ball, and believe in goodness!" I thought.... Now THAT'S brilliant!
    In the past year, I have been studying the Tao Te Ching and writings of Lao Tzu. Man oh man, was HE ever an enlightened one! I like to think all the great Masters have something wonderful to teach, whether it was Lao Tzu, Jesus of Nazareth, Abraham, Ghandi, Buddha or Billy Joe Bob down the street who is asking "Can't we all just get along!?"
    When I need strength... I meditate (call it prayer if you will), try to focus on what strength the Universe can provide me with... and walk past the Twinkies.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar mindset?

Namaste (I honour the Spirit that is in YOU and in ME),
    Catherine
  • Namaste, Catherine!

I think you'll find many of us here share the "religion" of you and your friend. I hope you make yourself at home and enjoy your time with us.

Like you, I went through many religious traditions before coming to the conclusion that there was gold and dross in all of them, which I'd just have to sort out myself if I was going to be responsible for my faith. I consider myself a phylisophical Daoist with pagan leanings, feeling that the Universe is in fact connected both spiritually and physically and that both realms are important to our existence.

Right now, I'm turning to my ancestors as a source of spiritual strength for taking care of myself the way that I know I need to. Sometimes, I just feel the need for that benevolent presence, the way I felt in my grandmother's presence as a child.

Hope to see more of you in the forums!
  • Hi Tera ~

You are a Special One, indeed!

You know, Just after I had written that last post, I had a few minutes to leaf through some others. I came across one of yours -- not sure which one, but read it. Looked at your pretty picture, and thought... I LIKE that woman! Good vibe. Good energy. Call it what you will. She lives in the world's [I]smallest[I] apartment??! Holy crap - now THAT sounds stressful! Oh.... Dallas Ft. Worth area. Noooooooow I get the worlds smallest apartment comment! (lol)
    I had to leave to go pick my daughter up from school. When I came home, I was on messenger with my fiance (A lovely British fellow who for now anyway, lives across the pond in County Durham) and when I came back on to see what was happening at the "Chickies Website" lo and behold, who replies?!

I just love how the Universe is coincedence-free!

I read your blog and was very moved by it. Partially because I feel like we have walked in similar footsteps along lifes path and partially, because my fiance Andrew also has VERY similar emotional issues that you do - so I understand where you are from someone who is in love with a man dealing with depression issues.

I also felt like I was at that place for most of my teen years - but after reading a great deal about it since then, I can say with some confidence that I believe my depression was due to hormonal imbalance which worked itself out as I grew older. So, I understand how you must sometimes feel froma first hand perspective - and also from a sympathetic standpoint.

I enjoyed your note, Thank You for that.
    I look forward to getting to know you better!

Now if I can just figure out how to "DO" that little ticker thingee!??

Catherine
  • Yes, I do love the tickers! The forum provides one, or you can go to ticker factory com or any number of ticker websites.

Unfortunately, you won't really be able to use an automatic signature for the first 20 days (iirc). Apparently they want to make sure we're not using our lovely sigs to sell stuff before we actually get to use them. But you can go make one right away and keep it updated. Then when you *can* use one in your sig, it will already show improvement since you started!

Another thing I love at 3FC is the smilies! There's a bazillion of them and we can start using them right away!

• Namaste!

I am in the same boat as you and twilit tera- studied and participated in a lot of different religions/churches/belief systems and never quite found my self completely comfortable with any of them. I eventually had the same idea as your friend - roll up all the things I liked into my own faith.

Welcome to the forum.
  • Hi there &

So glad you've found a comfy place to post ^_^ Don't hesitate to branch out to other areas where you're also comfortable. Let us all get to know you!