Anyone Happily Single?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I'm quite content being single. I'm 37, never married, no kids. Luckily, my parents weren't always asking me when I was getting married, having kids, etc. And, since my brother has made them grandparents, I'm pretty much off the hook!

It does get lonely at times, but I'm also very independent. I don't have to ask anyone's permission if I want to go somewhere, don't have to rush home to fix someone's dinner, etc. Honestly, I couldn't imagine having someone around 24/7. I think either he or I would have to be gone from the house for a couple of days a week. I really like my space. I am the master of my remote control.

I've gotten used to doing things alone, if no one wants to join me or being a "3rd wheel" with my married couple friends.

If someone comes along that I want to spend the rest of my life with, great; but if not, I will continue to be content.
  • IS ANYONE HAPPILY SINGLE?

Angie is....but she's married to me.
  • I am happy to be single. I enjoy being alone alot of the time and taking care of myself a lot better than any man would allow me to. On the rare occasion that I feel lonley, I simply remember that I was a lot lonlier when I was married. I would rather be lonly alone than lonley with someone else.

Now I would love to have a BF sometimes to travel and enjoy things with. But Mr. Right now is just fine by me.

My theory on Mr. Right? Yes, I know he is out there. But he was snatched up years ago by Ms. Wrong. He is in a horrible unfulfilling marraige that has left him bitter and cold. Since my Mr. Right is so loyal and faithful, he will never look outside of his sham of a marriage. So I will never know if I meet him.
  • I was NEVER happily single...except for brief moments after I'd dumped one of the many idiots that did their best to make my life a living study in brainwashing and torture.
  • Interesting theory about Mr. Right.

I'm 36, never married, no kids. Sometimes I do think I'd really like a mate. But I've had bad relationships before, and being alone is so much better than being in a bad relationship. Sometimes it is just so nice to be by myself, enjoying home or even going somewhere and enjoying it by myself. I have lots of friends to keep me busy socially, too.

It is kind of annoying that it's economically harder to be alone. Even sharing the cost of a hotel and gas for travel or splitting rent. And intimacy would be nice, including back rubs and kissing. But it isn't as if I'm unhappy and willing to settle for any man to end it.

I guess I have mixed feelings. Happy and content sometimes, lonely other times.
  • Quote: On the rare occasion that I feel lonely, I simply remember that I was a lot lonelier when I was married. I would rather be lonly alone than lonley with someone else.
    I said almost those exact words once. I had just kicked out the man I was engaged to, after one year of no affection, no sex, and lying beside him in bed knowing he wasn't going to want me, and thinking "I have never been so lonely in my life!"

I can't imagine being married and feeling so lonely and trapped. I may be lonely at times now, but there is always the possibility, however remote, of that changing. As I would never been unfaithful outside of my marriage, I would have face either divorce of years of being miserable.

WHAT DOES TICK ME OFF BEING SINGLE..is being "fined" for it. Paying the highest membership at gyms, tickets for events that charge more for singles than couples, hotel rooms, cruises etc. I wish resorts and cruises would offer the option of being matched up with another single. Perhaps a site that allows singles who wish to travel to post a profile and travel plans...then you could meet up and book it. A girlfriend and I got so ticked at the price for two single memberships being $150(!!!!!!) more than a couple's price for a summer pool membership at a local hotel, that we walked into the office holding hands and asked for a couples' membership! LOL WHAT COULD THEY SAY!
  • Quote: I'm quite content being single. I'm 37, never married, no kids. Luckily, my parents weren't always asking me when I was getting married, having kids, etc. And, since my brother has made them grandparents, I'm pretty much off the hook!

It does get lonely at times, but I'm also very independent. I don't have to ask anyone's permission if I want to go somewhere, don't have to rush home to fix someone's dinner, etc. Honestly, I couldn't imagine having someone around 24/7. I think either he or I would have to be gone from the house for a couple of days a week. I really like my space. I am the master of my remote control.

I've gotten used to doing things alone, if no one wants to join me or being a "3rd wheel" with my married couple friends.

If someone comes along that I want to spend the rest of my life with, great; but if not, I will continue to be content.

I could have written this word-for-word!

I admit there are times I wistfully think about how nice it would be to have "the one" in my life, kids, and all that.

Then when I really start to think about it..... well, I just don't know if I could really cope with the reality of it.

There are times that I feel like a sort of "freak." I'm the family spinster. I never thought I would be, and I certainly never planned for it. I'm not happy about being the one person in my family without a SO, but I am content with my life for the most part.

And mollymom: I SO agree with you about being fined for being single. Intellectually I understand the BS reasons for it: hotels are charging me basically the same price that two people would be able to split. But on tour packages, WTF do they have to add on a "single supplement" for??!!! Isn't it bad enough I have to pay the same price for a room with no one to split the costs, but then they have to punish me for daring to have a whole room to myself?!!