Headaches

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ok, am I allergic to Fruit, Fruit Juice, and Fruit Flavored Water with Splenda? It seems every time I drink either of these or eat most fruit I get headaches? I have no trouble with Splenda in Diet Sodas or putting in my Green Tea.
  • My mother gets a headache from ascorbic acid, either naturally occurring in fruit or when it is added as an ingredient to food. She can eat small amounts of fruits that are not as high in ascorbic acid as others, but as an additive, it's always a problem.
  • I can eat cantaloupe without a problem, I just don't eat other fruits and drink fruit beverages anymore, sick of getting headaches.
  • Sounds like it could be hyperglycemia.
  • Someone here was saying that they get headaches from Splenda. Then again, I see that in other usages of splenda, you don't get headaches. That must not be it then. *puzzled* Or maybe it's something about the fruit juice entering your blood stream more quickly then say, green tea, and the splenda takes effect... Wait, nevermind, I'm no scientist or doctor and that sounds ridiculous.
  • I would have to think it has something to do with blood sugar more than an allergy being that the fruit and fruit juice are both simple sugars. The splenda puzzles me though, being that it is non nutritive, it won't affect your blood sugar. What else is in the water?

What about eating smaller amounts of fruit and combine them with higher amounts of protein. Peaches and cottage cheese for instance.

If it is a blood sugar issue, especially hyperglycemia - that could also be the effect of your chronic constipation and could be an indicator of something more serious, ie. ketoacidosis.
  • I've heard of splenda having that kind of effect on some people.
  • Apples & peanut butter, juice with a turkey roll up (not mixed with the turkey roll up, but as the beverage), blueberries and plain yogurt. (Just adding some extra suggestions to Zeffryn's.)

Did you ever find a free clinic in your area, Jellybean?
  • Quote: I've heard of splenda having that kind of effect on some people.
    Most fruit that I know of doesn't have splenda in it. Those crazy hybrids.
  • Quote: Apples & peanut butter, juice with a turkey roll up (not mixed with the turkey roll up, but as the beverage), blueberries and plain yogurt. (Just adding some extra suggestions to Zeffryn's.)

Did you ever find a free clinic in your area, Jellybean?

I'm waiting to see if I got hired for the job I applied to first, cause they got benefits.. obviously for a thrift shop they certainly look you over before they make a decision.. but damn it's been 3 weeks already, and the manager isn't the one that hires as I found out, it's the corporate boss of the company.
  • Quote: I would have to think it has something to do with blood sugar more than an allergy being that the fruit and fruit juice are both simple sugars. The splenda puzzles me though, being that it is non nutritive, it won't affect your blood sugar. What else is in the water?

What about eating smaller amounts of fruit and combine them with higher amounts of protein. Peaches and cottage cheese for instance.

If it is a blood sugar issue, especially hyperglycemia - that could also be the effect of your chronic constipation and could be an indicator of something more serious, ie. ketoacidosis.

I've had this for years now, prob why I don't eat much fruit. I was checked out about a year ago with blood tests and all was perfect and I was MORE overweight then, so i dunno.. I have some symptoms but not all, could be any number of things.
  • What kind of fruit flavored water are you drinking? What are the ingredients?
  • Quote: What kind of fruit flavored water are you drinking? What are the ingredients?

It's Adirondack fruit flavored water.

Ingredients: spring water, natural flavor, citric acid, potassium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), sucralose (splenda), panax ginseng extract, niacinamide (vitamin B3), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), and cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12).
  • Hrm, it's really hard to tell without consulting the company just what that "natural flavoring" is.

I'm about positive it isn't a real fruit juice or extract.
  • Quote: Hrm, it's really hard to tell without consulting the company just what that "natural flavoring" is.

I'm about positive it isn't a real fruit juice or extract.

who knows, but alot of things trigger my headaches, and of course the doc figures they are from my poor eating habits, lol.. i get em regardless, headaches run in my family, i don't think there is a cure for them.