Couch to 5K (C25K) Starters & Restarters.

You're on Page 9 of 30
Go to
  • Oh my - running in that heat would be awful!! I think 60 would be about the ideal running temperature! 60 with no wind.
  • Well done Robsia, way to get creative with it! Congrats on getting your hubby out the door with you, paperclippy. And Julie, that's hardcore, running in that kind of heat.
  • Quote: Oh my - running in that heat would be awful!! I think 60 would be about the ideal running temperature! 60 with no wind.
    That's one reason why I run before the sun comes up According to the internet, it was about 65-68 degrees at around 5:15am, but it sure felt warmer. I think I read somewhere that by the time you're warmed up and running, it feels 20 degrees higher. Part of my problem is that my apartment never goes below 75 (without a/c on) in the summer, even when it's 60-65 outside. It's sometimes not so easy to cool it off to 75 *with* the a/c. South and west facing windows. I'd be stretching outside if I had any yard/privacy. On the other hand, it's easier to keep warm in winter. Yeah, we southern Californians believe we have a winter .
  • Holy, that is hot! I would hate that.

I did w2d2 today. I'm a treadmill runner so out of the heat, cold, wind etc in the safety of my basement, lol. Love that I can wear anything I want Love my Enell bras! And good running shoes. Getting properly fitted made a huge difference for me. Will check in again after my run on Sat.!
  • I can't believe it. It is sunny, cool, with hardly any wind, and I am actually looking forward to going out and doing W1D3.

I never thought I would look forward to running.

Amazingly, I think I see a difference already. My jeans suddenly feel looser around the thighs and the muscles at the front of my waist seem harder. You know the ones I mean - the flat ones on each side of the abs. I don't know if running somehow works those too - whether you hold your body differently as you run, I don't know.
  • Week 3 day 6 for me (aka week 3 day 3 #2) today. It went well. My knees were a little grumpy this morning, probably since it's been cold, but after I got warmed up they were fine. I just need to make sure that I get up and walk around a lot today instead of sitting at my desk nonstop. I also found that wearing two pairs of pants helped. I put my sweat-wicking pants on first, then pulled a pair of thicker workout pants on top. Pretty comfy. I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to need for the winter though.
  • I HATE running and have always found it pointless and too much work to do just to "be in shape." Yesterday I did W2D1 and was looking forward to it! And I am looking forward to doing it tonight! CRAZY... I am also a treadmill runner as it's already cold up here! I am going to continue to do week 2 until I can do 6MPH on the treadmill during the running times but I am loving it that I am actually liking this. Maybe I will be a runner!
  • Well done Jessica!

I have been out and done W1D3. It was windier than it looked but it was OK. I kept mostly within the houses so stayed in the sheltered parts, and the sun was warm even though the wind was cold.

I would like to be able to run on the clifftop path though - I hate running in the streets - all those kerbs to go up and down are a pain with the stroller. But it's just too exposed and cold at the moment to run up there - I picked the wrong time of year to start running!

Ruby seems to like being pushed while I run though - she certainly doesn't complain!
  • Good morning ladies! I'm wanting to start this Monday of next week. I'll be starting outside early morning, but I'm wondering, with winter aproaching, if this can be done at all on a treadmill. I don't remember reading anything about treadmilling on the site. Just wondering. I'm excited for this. I couldn't run to save my life right now!
  • JamieJo - we posted at the same time so I just saw your post. Well done you!

I don't know what speed I go during the running times, but I enter my routes in www.mapmyrun.com and it told me that my average spped for the whole thing was 4.6 mph. And I know I walk at between 3.25 and 3.5 mph so my running speed must be quite good.

Any running for me is a good thing so I'm not getting too hung up on the times and speeds - I'm just going at the speed that is comfortable for me and if it improves over time, I'll be happy with that. I covered 2.3 miles today in half an hour so that's quite good for Week 1 I think.

Julie - I know lots of people do the C25K on a treadmill.
  • Oh, and I have definitely changed just in this one week. I was taking off my running pants and putting my jeans back on and I was mesmerised by this long slim muscle that has suddenly appeared in my thigh.

I love running!
  • Robsia - We're about the same with the running then. Right now I'm doing 5MPH when running and 3.2 to 3.5 when walking. At the end, I put it up to 6MPH to hopefully get better.
  • Where did everyone go??? I'm so excited!

Today I did day 3 of week 2. I'm going to take tomorrow off from lower body anything though because I'm sore. I did more on the treadmil after the C25K work out. I think I'm going to do another week 2 but with doing 6MPH during the running parts. That is running a 10min mile pace and I think I need to be able to do that before I move to week 3. So tonight and tomorrow is upper body!
  • Quote: Where did everyone go??? I'm so excited!

Today I did day 3 of week 2. I'm going to take tomorrow off from lower body anything though because I'm sore. I did more on the treadmil after the C25K work out. I think I'm going to do another week 2 but with doing 6MPH during the running parts. That is running a 10min mile pace and I think I need to be able to do that before I move to week 3. So tonight and tomorrow is upper body!
    They recommend that you only focus on time or distance at first, and forget about speed until you have a good base going. Definitely don't put of advancing to the next week because of speed. The program isn't about speed at all, just about working up your cardiovascular endurance and conditioning your connective tissues to take the time/distance.

Week 3/4 was a nice place in the program for me, that was when it started to feel less tortuous
  • Hmmm... now you have me thinking. Do you, or anyone else think it would be harmful to do another week 2 but trying for time and speed? I am really liking this so far and don't want to make myself unmotivated but I really want to be able to at least run at a 10 min mile pace...