Not sure where to post this. Sweet potato fry problem...

• Feel free to move this, cause i want so sure where to put it. Anyway i have really been in the mood for sweet potatoes. (My favorite way is of course sweet potato pie with lots of bad stuff in it.) Well a few weeks ago i made some sweet potato fries and they were soggy and had to be eaten with a fork. Any ideas on how to make them crispy on the outside??? And i did spray them with pam before baking hoping it would crisp them up.
  • I have the EXACT same problem!!! I can't wait to here what the amazing experts here at 3FC have to say about that...
  • Mine are soggy too. I'll move this into the chatty part of the Forum in case someone has a good idea. I've eaten them in restaurants where they were crispy but know they deep fry them.
  • How about try baking them? Just a suggestion, I have not tried it before so I have no idea if this would work. Maybe instead of using cooking spray, use nothing at all, or maybe "bread" them with parmesan. (For some reason, that sounds tasty if odd.)
  • I make them the same as regular potato fries. Spray pan with Pam - spray fries with Pam and season - bake at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.
  • I cut them up (the small thin pieces are the best!!), throw them in a ziploc, pour a 1/2 tbls olive oil or whatever you need for the amount you cut up, and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle w/salt & pepper (or your preferences) I've read you can't have them too close together, they need space to cook better. Also, I broil mine. Normally for 20 min, flipping half way through.

They were fantastic!! And I am addicted!!
  • I par boil my cut up potatoes to make them crisp (3 minutes is all). I'm not sure if this would work with sweet potato though.
  • i also have only ever made soggy sweet potato fries...but they were still delicious! TGIFridays has really good SP fries!
  • Is there any sort of good SBD compliant dipping sauces that anyone has come up with for sweet potato fries? I'm looking forward to having them on ph 2.
  • I know that to make extra-crispy french fries with white potatoes, I used to slice them up and put them in an ice water bath for a while, then dry well with a towel before frying. Don't know for sure but it might help with the sweet potatoes too.