sushi

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone:
    I am new to the core program and had a question about sushi

If a sushi restaurant does brown rice...and say you order tuna and avacado..would that all be core?

thanks and crossing my fingers it would be!!!
  • I really don't know the answer to your question although I have frequently heard and read that eating sushi is a dangerous health risk. I am a sushi lover and regularly take my chances.
  • lol that would be all Core So enjoy!
  • Quote: I really don't know the answer to your question although I have frequently heard and read that eating sushi is a dangerous health risk. I am a sushi lover and regularly take my chances.
    why is it dangerous? I heard it is very good for you
  • Maybe she is hinting about the dangers of mercury poisoning.

But I don't think it's really that big of a risk unless you eat sushi all the time.

I, for one, can't afford to do that so it's only a weekly treat for me.
  • wouldnt there only be a risk of mercury poisoning if you had fish in your sushi too?
  • I thought there was mercury threat in seafood like shrimp too?

And I also read something about how women who are pregnant aren't supposed to eat sushi because you can get a parasite from it.

As far as I'm concerned it's all old wives tales. I'm not a sushi eater - but I am interested in seeing what people have to say about those issues, now!
  • I'm from Japan and we had sushi all the time... never once have I heard that eating sushi can be "dangerous" until I moved to the U.S. There are lots of other cultures that eat raw fish, as well, and have been doing so for many, many years.
    If you're pregnant, yes, stay away from anything that might have mercury in it, just like you'd stay away from alcohol and certain other foods.
  • I believe there are also higher mercury contents in the fish in the US then over in Japan. When i visited my brother (he was station there in the marines) we ate sushi almost every day. Fish is very healthy for you, but the same for everything goes too much of a good thing can be bad. Personally i htink unless you are eating raw fish (not sushi) every day of your life for every meal then it has the potentiol to be harmful. There is a wonderful japanese place that makes whole raw fish plates that many of my friends enjoy a few times a week.
  • What's the core program?

I love sushi and regularly used to eat it for lunch. But now eating low carb I don't eat rice, so no sushi for me. Sashimi would work, but that's a bit expensive to eat for lunch.
  • i prefer chicken sushi over seafood anyway, so i guess im safe unless its in the seaweed too?
  • yes, can someone explain the core program, never heard of it.
    Also, sushi is dangerous for pregnant women, but what about the carb content. I always feel good about my choice if I eat sushi but I think sometimes that I am kidding myself b/c I often get tempura sushi, or spicy salmon (with lots of mayo in the roll) etc.
    hmmmm, is sushi a good choice?
  • It's generally the risk of food born illness (bacteria and parasites, primarily) that is discussed in regard to sushi. However, while fresh water fish shouldn't be eaten raw, because of the risk of parasites; the parasite risk in saltwater fish is minimal, especially with modern handling laws.

The US food sanitation laws are much stricter (more based in paranoia than fact) than in most countries, and we warn and protect people against even the slightest risk. Like the risk of eating undercooked eggs and meat. It's a real risk, but minimal, and unless your immune system is severely compromised; bacteria and food born illnesses such as e.coli and salmonella are rarely serious (though you can get an unpleasant evening of diarrhea).
    This is true of the sushi "risk" as well. If you're in decent health, your risk is minimal.

If you've ever had a "24 hour flu," you can bet that it wasn't the flu or any other virus, but rather a bacterial infection, usually food poisoning.

And for those who are paranoid about such matters, select sushi with no raw fish ingredients (california rolls, cucumber rolls, etc).

One thing to remember about sushi, is that sushi refers to the seasoned rice, not the presence of raw fish. Sushi does not have to contain raw fish, or any fish at all; and of course if it contains no raw ingredients, it would be safe for pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems (who might want to avoid raw ingredients as an extra precaution).
  • I love sashimi!

There are many misconceptions re food poisoning vs "stomach flu". True food poisoning is rare. The "stomach flu" is common caused by bacteria, or viruses or even parasites getting into your stomach via hands etc, it is rare that it is due to food gone bad. Food poisoning is a very sudden onset and very intense- if you have had it or seen someone who has had it you would immediately know the difference. It feels and looks like your body is being turned inside out.

Re Sushi Rice- white rice approx 30 cal, 8 carbs, .5 g protein no fat per piece. No question brown rice would be a better choice.
    Fish is great high protein, low fat no carbs ie salmon 3 pieces less than 100 cal 17 g protein, 4 g fat. You do have to be careful with quantities and as far as the rolls go they can add up and the spicy rolls tend to have more mayo in it than you would think.
  • Hmm, it was my doctor who told me that many people have had salmonella and e.coli and other foodborn illnesses without knowing it, assuming it was the "24 hour flu." He said that healthy people often have very mild symptoms to such bacteria, saying that no true influenza or even most viruses would exhibit symptoms of such short duration.

He said foodborn bacteria was very common, though unlikely to be a serious health concern for anyone with a healthy immune system. Unpleasant, but an inconvenience more than a serious health hazzard.

Perhaps he was oversimplifying for me,