Ideas for kicking a soda habit?

• Hi all,

I don't have a soda addiction, but my DH does... he drinks 1 to 2 dr. peppers a day, and maybe more if he goes out to eat. He's mostly the right weight but has a bit of a soda belly...

I know I feel much better not drinking the stuff. I think he would too, but he wants to drink flavorful drinks, not water. What would be a good replacement for him that would be lower in calories and unhealthy things, but still tasty.

I was thinking I could make lemonade for him, to make sure it didn't have massive amounts of sugar in it... any suggestions?
  • You can make homemade iced tea. Boil 8 cups water in a pot. take off heat, add 3 'black tea' bags, cover 10 min, take bags out, flavor with up to 3/4 cup sugar or use sweetener, 1/3 cup lemon juice, and flavors like cranberry juice, or whatever you want. you can make this decaf, or use herbal tea. CHILL!!

The problem is, if he's a soda junkie, he may not want to quit. Send him to rehab!
  • He's stated he *wants* to cut back...

I'll try the tea tonight, see if he likes it. I'd drink the whole jug of tea in a day! I love tea!

Are there any pre-made drinks that taste good but are better for you? Maybe that would be a way to ease him into healthiness?
  • you could try Crystal Light with seltzer?
    or even just the seltzer!
    good luck
  • what about diet dr pepper?

crystal light is good

ice tea works we make a gallon at a time...
  • As a former Dr. Pepper junkie, I can provide you with some ideas (some of my fave drinks)that may help.
    One of my favorite light drinks is Crystal light peach tea. This tastes great and is only about 5 cals per serving. I've tried several crystal light selections which your husband could try, but I highly recommend this flavored one.
    I also buy the Arizon (diet peach tea".) This is already made and you can find it where you buy drinks/juices , etc. in the store.

Another favorite of mine is the Kool-Aid sugar free tropical punch.
    I promise you that this tastes better than regular kool aid.

The best diet sodas I have come to love is Diet A&W rootbeer, Diet Cherry 7up, and of course Diet Dr. Pepper. Diet Dr. Pepper takes some getting used to especially if your a Dr. Pepper junkie, but once you do its pretty good.
    If your husband likes a citrus cal free soda-try Fresca
  • Quote: you could try Crystal Light with seltzer?
    or even just the seltzer!
    good luck
    There are flavored waters out there without sugar or sweeteners.
  • Not to hijack your thread but is diet soda acceptable on South Beach?
  • The only diet soda I like is coca cola vanilla zero.. that and jones sugar-free cream soda, but I limit to 1 per day now.. I drink mostly salada green tea (tea bags) with two packets of splenda added. Sometimes I have a South Beach Diet Tide Me Over packet that you pour in 16.9 fl oz bottled water too..
  • Quote: Not to hijack your thread but is diet soda acceptable on South Beach?
    yep! try to limit it to 2 a day!
  • All of these are great ideas! I'm going to stop by the grocery store on the way home and tonight we're going to do a taste test extravaganza! We'll see what he does and doesn't like.

You guys are the best at ideas.