August Activity Action and Achievement for the worldly chicks

You're on Page 11 of 20
Go to
  • Wow, every one is in a talkative mood today.
    I'm just popping into say hello.

Ruth
    Sorry to hear about Hershey. Give her lot's of love.

Mel
    You've spoiled the gs. Or is it he is afraid to fly after his last ordeal

Shy
    Ouch on the knee. Take care of yourself.

Happy
    I knew watermelon was loaded in sugar but I still eat it. Infact my aunt and uncle don't eat much fruit because of the carbs. My uncle is diabetic. You are racking up on the exercise minutes.

The humidity was high at the track last night. My feet kept wanting to slip but I did the mile then went down to the weight room. Did four upper body moves and headed home. That took about 45 minutes.

I talked to B today and he's planning on coming back to work Thursday. Tim told me that he had to see an excuse from the doctor before he let him return. His final prognosis his a hip replacement.

Hello to al the rest. My time is running short.
  • I looked up nutritional info on watermelon today. It is loaded with lycopene, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Good stuff. Of course you don't want to eat half a melon in one sitting but it didn't come off sounding like the nothing but sugar water the other site made it out to be. Sometimes this information can be so confusing...

Went to my first exercise class tonight with the diabetes program. It was good. We got an exercise band and some tiny 1 pound weights. When you're out of shape several reps with one pound weights can be taxing We marched up and down the halls too. I enjoyed the class. Look forward to more of them.

I am slowly starting to re-educate myself food wise. Reading labels religiously and each meal today I stopped and said "can I make a better choice". And I did eat watermelon today

I probably won't be able to check in tomorrow - at least not during the day so goodnight and have a good Friday morning to you all...
  • Just a quick fly-by post today, as I'll be out of commission for a day or two. Very early tomorrow is gall bladder day - I went to see the surgeon, he had an opening right away, and I decided to grab it. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well... As for the eye, it wasn't a detached retina. Phew! I think it was whatever Happy described happening to her at some point. it's still quite annoying - I don't mind the floaters, have even stopped batting at non-existant flies, but the blurred vision in that eye is getting a little old. Oh well...

Happy, a few ideas for your feet: To avoid blisters, make sure you have really good, well-padded, non-cotton socks. Thorlo makes really good ones. If there's a really good sports store (preferably one devoted to running and or walking, not a multi-sport store) with people properly trained to fit athletic shoes you might do better. They should watch you walk barefoot to assess your feet before recommending shoes. Never buy sports shoes based on how they look!!! Depending on where the blister is, they may be able to recommend a different way of doing up the laces to reduce pressure on a hot spot. You might need a larger size in sneakers than you usually wear. If the orthotics bother you so much you don't want to wear them, have you tried Superfeet insoles? They're very good. Some orthotics have a slippery finish which is death on your feet when you walk fast or run, too much slipping around in the shoe. Also, orthotics shaped to fit in dress shoes aren't wide enough for sports shoes and the edges will give you blisters where they rub. If you have wide feet with a narrow heel, Saucony shoes might be a good choice. Sorry to run on so much (no pun intended), but I've spent a lot of time dealing with bad feet...

And now I'd better rush off and drink the last bit of water I'm allowed before the cut-off. to Mel, Shad, Ruth, Annie, Michelle, Ceejay, Rennie. I'll be back in a few days.
  • Good thoughts out to you Carla Hope the surgery is a breeze - just make sure you don't feel so good afterwards that you over tax yourself. I hope that they can do the laproscopic thing - much easier all around.

Thanks for the feet suggestions. I will check them out.

Good night from me too.
  • Mel
    You are so inspirational to me. You do so much where others in your situation would do very little.

Carla
    Hope things go well. The surgery isn't bad at all. You will be up and around in no time.

Happy
    If a person likes watermelon it is a great addition to your healthy eating habits.

Cee
    I was told I would never walk again many moons ago. I was told I would never walk again by the time I reached 40. I am still going. I thank God everyday for where I am instead of where I could be. Mel is such an inspiration to me. She does so much.
  • Morning chicks,

I got 25 laps in at the pool this morning. I feel refreshed. Coffee is tasting good this morning too.

Shad, I laughed so hard at your email that I had to go and re-do my makeup. Thanks for the morning pick me up

Gotta buncha meetin's this mornin' (someone finally told me what my "accent" sounds like) so I need to get rolling.

Thinking about you Carla and hope all is going well

Hello to the rest of the crew, will get back for personals later.
  • Morning all,
    Didn't get around to posting yesterday, travelled overnight and did not sleep too well on the plane for some reason. Maybe there was too much eye candy on board!!!! We travelled Singapore Airlines this time and their cabin crews are young and mostly good looking unlike Qantas whose crews are mainly my age and close to retirement. The food on Singapore is superb as well and so much of it!!!!! Even down to the cheese board at the end. Far too much to eat. And it is like a restaurant whereby you can get a meal at a specified time - whenever you want it. You just book it when you come on board. They don't have the skybeds of Qantas, but there is piles of room in business class and the seats recline to nearly flat. Just enough elevation to stop people from snoring.

I went shopping yesterday and got in the goods for the house for the week. Lots of fruit and veges and spent an extraordinary amount of money or so it seemed after paying about $5 for a full lunch plus drink in Indonesia. Welcome home to the real world.

Carla - thoughts go out to you for your problems at the moment. Hope both the eye and the gall bladder works out just fine for you. I'd ring you just to say hello but don't want to get you out of bed or running for the phone just yet. Maybe later in the week.

Happy - think the title for September will have limits as to how many characters we can add. Carla will have to take her chances unless she wants to do it herself however, someone else may have to take over for me this time since September 1 is go-live date in Jakarta. I have stocked up on the tissues and will be busy keeping people involved and doing things and wiping away the tears. Biggest problem seems to be with the Payroll now. They are beginning to understand that the stuff that they enter will be visible to the greater community (well as many as are allowed to access this information) and they are worried they will be seen to be wanting and do not want to lose face - or control for that matter - by doing things wrong.
    Good luck for your own go live.

Ruth - I hope it all works out for Hershey this week. It will be good to know what is ailing her. If it is Cushings then it could be a lot worse! As I think I said, Shad lived to a ripe old age even with Cushings and a heart murmur. And he was active to the end. He did lose a lot of fur - pain for sweeping - but was never bald. And so it may be for La Hersh. Did you get your day alone yesterday?

Shy - sorry to hear that you have been sick again. Get better soon.

Mel - Shopping again?? Have fun. Yesterday I looked for some new work shirts and tees but couldn't find anything I liked at all. Pain. Don't really like the colours this season, although I see Navy is making a come back. I might have to go to town to get to some of the better shops (read more expensive too) and see if there is anything there.
    Like the look of some of those recipes you've posted.

Okay - I had better get on with the day. I have a mountain of washing to do, I have some new veges to plant out. I have to report the orchids and nodding violets. They are understress and I need to potter around in the rose garden and vege pots. The Coral Oak Leaf lettuces are ready to eat. Guess whats in my sandwich for lunch?

Sorry I haven't finished the personals. I'll be back but it is late already and I haven't even started yet - and I am going out to be experimented on for dinner tonight. My foodie friends down the road have found some new recipes to try out on me.

Back later
  • (((Carla))) thinking of you. Hope all goes well.

Waving HI to all!!
  • CARLA~ SENDING ALL MY GOOD THOUGHTS YOUR WAY. FACING NORTH AND BLOWING A KISS WITH A BIG OL' HUG ATTACHED. I AM GLAD THE EYE WILL BE OK OF SORTS. HOPE THE BLURRY VISION LEAVES SOON. JUST REST UP AND EAT GOOD THINGS!!!

HAPPY~ MAYBE NJ IS TRYING TO SELL YOU A NEW POOL? HEARD YOU HAD PROBLEMS...BUT I PROMISE I DIDN'T RAT YOU OUT THANK YOU FOR WATKINS...FUNNY BUT I WAS IN TARGETS YESTERDAY!! GOOD NEWS THAT THE EXERCISE CLASS WENT WELL. JUST DON'T GO NUTSO AND END UP GOING TO WORK IN PAIN!!

ANNIE...WHEN YOU GET HAPPY A JOB WHERE YOU WORK...GET ONE FOR ME TOO!!! NICE COMPANY! HOPE THE BOWLING WAS FUN. MAYBE I SHOULD GO AND FIND SOME X-RATED RECIPES TO ACCOMODATE YOUR PRODUCE

CEEJAY.....NOT SURE ABOUT THE BIRD. JEN SAYS IT A COMBO OF BAD FLIGHT JUDGEMENT AND HE'S A SPOILED BRAT!! HOPE WORK HAS CALMED DOWN. STILL ANY 12 HR SHIFTS?

SHAD....WELCOME HOME...OR DID I SAY THAT ALREADY? TOO MUCH EYE CANDY HUH??? IS THERE EVER SUCH A THING??? I MISSED THE A/C MAN BUT I HEARD HE ASKED WHERE I WAS I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY!!! HAPPY GARDENING!

RENNIE....I THINK THAT EVERYONE HAS "TOUGH" INSIDE OF THEM. IT COMES IN HANDY WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN. YOU'RE DOING GREAT YOURSELF TOO.

WHAT A DAY YESTERDAY TURNED OUT TO BE. THE FIRST STORM SEEMED TO FLY PAST US WITH NO RAIN. THE HUMIDITY WAS THE PITS BUT I WENT FOOD SHOPPING. JUST TO GET WEEKEND STUFF AND BIRD SEEDS. THE GS LOVE BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS AND HIS HAD BUGS IN THEM! ! SO I TOSSED THE CONTAINER OUT. I HATE THOSE "FLOUR" BUGS! THEN I PUT THE GROCERIES AWAY AND WENT BACK TO HAVE LUNCH/WALK WITH A FRIEND BUT SHE DECIDED WE NEEDED TO GO OUT AND ORDERED THE BUS TO PICK US UP. I COME UP TO PEE AND GO BACK DOWN AND JEN IS HERE FOR AN UNEXPECTED VISIT. SO ALL 3 OF US TROTTED OFF FOR BAD FOOD AND EVEN MORE SHOPPING. GOTTA LOVE THOSE UNPLANNED DAYS THAT TURN OUT SO WELL.
    BUT AFTER SUCH A FUN PACKED DAY I AM SPENDING THIS ONE -------->

WISHING EVERYONE A GREAT WEEKEND.
    HAPPY SATURDAY/SUNDAY
  • Yesterday was a carbaholic type day. My stomach paid for it last night.

This should be my last week end to work for awhile. B is suppose to come back to work Thursday. The bosses have been good to me so I shouldn’t complain. However, going down these stairs every hour on the hour is making it hard on the operators. I suppose that all of us should bring in a doctor’s excuse for high blood pressure. We all have it. It’s the stress.

Slept really good last night. I’ve turned off my ceiling fan which doesn’t put out very much air and am using the floor fan. It’s keeping the cooler air circulating much better. My nose doesn’t seem to be as clogged in the morning. I’ve also taken down a fake fur wall hanging that was directly over the bed.

I’m planning to drive to church in the morning in Paragould to visit with the uncles. I have two uncles that go to this church. I have another uncle that lives there and would like to visit him. He’s having back surgery on my birthday, the 27th of this month

Carla--sending good vibes your way.
  • Happy
    You go girl. 25 laps in the pool is excellent.
  • ok, so enough of these feel good titles for each month. What if we call September - Worldly Chicks SITTING ON THEIR KEESTERS Ok, I know you'd all stone me or something I guess if Shad will be busy with go live, it will be up to me or Mel to start the new thread. I'll have to think, this year I've been drawing a blank on thread titles - what if we do songs - Worldy Chicks - See You in September. I'll be alone each and every night, while you're away don't forget to write. Bye baby, bye bye... One of my favorite songs is by Earth Wind and Fire called September.

Well I frittered the morning away. Slept in as DH woke me up last night. He had a bad, bad migraine/headache and wanted to know where the hot pad was. I jumped out of bed and stood in the middle of the room wondering what the heck was a hot pad and did we really have one? Then after a couple of minutes I woke up and realized he was talking about the gel pack you can microwave. Fixed it up for him, got him in a chair with a light blanket and went back to sleep myself. He was really sick, even this morning. I rewarmed the pack and made him rub his head with the migrastick - figured the moist heat of the pack would enhance the essential oils. He said the heat helped and as the morning wore on he felt better. Not sure if it ran it's course or if things helped. I spent at least 2 hours hunting the internet looking for another heat pack to replace the one I "overcooked" in the microwave. Of course there's nothing like it now. I did order him a hot pack helmet that is a full head hot or cold pack that hits all touch points - forehead, back of neck and cranium. It looks like one of those headpieces the knights wore in the crusades. Either that or it stops just short of one of those fetish leather headpieces Of course poor boy, when he gets another headache and wants to use this, I will just about be whizzing myself laughing over how stupid it looks but don't tell him this. Of course those of you who get horrible headaches know (as I did with bad cramps) that I'd stand on my head and cross my toes if it would give me relief.

Then I had to separate the cats. Mr. Feral was sleeping peacefully on his bed. Curly, the bottomless pit came by looking for food. He and Mr. Feral had a staredown but Curly is dopey and just wants food, not confrontation so he just flopped down on the patio 5 feet from Mr. Feral and waited for his food. We had to separate the two and I had to pick up Curly and take him way over the other side of the yard to feed him so he'd leave Mr. Feral's food alone. Then Miss Boo comes trotting in cursing these boys who are invading her yard so we had to take her in and feed her. Curly finished eating and went to sit under the azaleas to enjoy the yard. Mr. Feral saw him and in a show that even tho I have no fangs, am way old, have a califlower ear and am quite decrepit, I still have to show that I'm the alpha cat and he went into the bushes and sat 2 feet away from Curly. So I had to go over there and shoo Curly away even tho he wasn't doing anything other than just sitting there being dopey and happy. Poor guy.

Then since the cats ate and none of them seemed too concerned about our hungry tummies, I made brunch for DH and I.

And here it is early afternoon and I really didn't get anything done at all.

Thank you Ceejay - you are doing great at the gym too. I am starting to realize like you how bad a carboholic binge feels. I thought it was just sugar and booze that made one feel so bad. Have a good visit with the family tomorrow.

Mel - what a pleasant surprise to spend some time with Jen. Too bad she MADE you eat bad food It's nice that you had something to enjoy for a change instead of people clamoring for your attention. Thanks for giving my number out to the pool people Hope the storms are over and done with for you.

Holly, Annie, Michelle

Welcome home Shad. I don't see how the HR/Payroll people can be worried that they will be "exposed" as no one has figured out how to navigate in SAP and you know I'm right Enjoy your time at home. Maybe the food is more expensive there but at least you know what you're eating Now that you're getting more rain is that why you're planting vegetables? Or is it near time for tomatoes? Speaking of which I need to go check my plant as DH said I have some ripe ones. What are you planting?

Carla - hope the surgery went well and you are resting comfortably. Don't spend too much time sitting in a chair but do let us know how you are doing, ok?

Shy - hope you are getting back to your old self too.

I need to get off the computer and get something accomplished. Later chicks...
  • Morning all,
    It seems that the internal clock is back and ticking as I am up and doing as per normal now without the 'benefits' of an alarm clock or the cat.

As for songs to title up the September thread - How about this one - from years back. Real memory joggers here.
    Try To Remember
    (Tom Jones/Harvey Schmidt)

Try to remember the kind of September
    When life was slow and oh so mellow.
    When grass was green and grain was yellow.
    When you were a tender and callow fellow.
    Try to remember and if you remember
    then follow
    follow.

Try to remember when life was so tender
    When noone wept except the willow.
    When dreams were kept beside your pillow.
    When love was an ember about to billow.
    Try to remember and if you remember
    then follow
    follow.

Deep in December it's nice to remember
    Although you know the snow will follow.
    Deep in December it's nice to remember
    Without a hurt the heart will hollow.
    Deep in December
    it's nice to remember
    The fire of September that made you mellow.
    Deep in December our hearts should remember and follow
    follow.
    Now if that doesn't get you all back on the memory trail, I'll be amazed.

Happy, hope DH gets better real soon. Hate those headaches. I went through a series of them years ago. It wasn't pretty and I had a wheat filled sack to heat in the microswave. If I remember rightly it also had lavendar or rosemary or something equally smelly in it as well.
    But I hope he is back to his normal self really soon.
    As for no-one able to navigate in SAP - come off it, I spend hours teaching them all the little short cuts and tricks to make life sooooo much easier. It's only HR and Payroll that don't pay attention because they are the secret squirrels and nether take it in or give it out!! Give me the practical sections everytime! I was showing a wee lady the intracies of requisitioning on Thursday and she was so excited by what she can now do - as opposed to doing everything separately and singly that she darned near hugged me. Most un-Indonesian.

I see the sun is up on another glorious day - I will be out there and at it again soon. I repotted nine of the orchids yesterday and still have another eight to go. Then I potted up the veges. Happy this time I am doing them in pots because it is easier to keep the water up to them than trying to bring the garden back into some sort of water retaining, fertile and tillable shape right now. So I have tomatoes, lettuce, peppers and chives in big pots. The first lot of lettuce is ready now. The first tomato has flowers but as yet no fruit x-rated or otherwise. Maybe when I come back from the last stint of work enough good bugs will be back to fertilise the plants.

Okay - can't think without the coffee. Need to go get some. I'll be back with some more personals later. Deep in September it's nice to remember - darn it all, wouldn't be back to remember in August!!!
  • Ouch. Remind me not to get may gall bladder out again. Actually, the pain isn't so bad, but the nausea and dizziness after I came to were really bad yesterday. I went into surgery around 8, woke up around 10, and by 11:30 they were bundling me out of there muttering about me having longer in recovery than most gall baldders so I had to go like it or not. I would have barfed on them if it wasn't taking all my strength not to fall over... Got home safe thanks to friends, one of whom even took my big cat out for his constitutional. Woke up at 2:30 am and watched Olympics all night, so today I'm tired and groggy, and not looking forward to cleaning the incisions tomorrow. (Yes, I'm a wuss.)
    Anyway, thanks for all the kind thoughts, very much appreciated. I may not post again for a day or two - the laptop is in an uncomfortable spot and a bit heavy to be moving it right now. But it won't be so long that I end up singing See you in September...
    Mel, I clicked on to CNN last night and they were talking about a tornado moving from NJ over to Manhattan. Did you sleep thru it? Or was it maybe a percocet-induced dream? Nice drug, but I have a horrible feeling it's making my skin all itchy. It'll be downgrade to Tylenol tomorrow.
    Bye all. Time for another nap...
  • Carla
    Glad you are doing well.

Shad
    Hi

Happy
    Those cats make me laugh. I am doing better thanks.

Cee
    My gosh back surgery. Sure hope things go well for you and you have someone to take care of you.

Melody
    If I had the energy I would be powered by cookie power but I don't have the energy to go to the fridge in the garage and get the cookies. My daughter ( better known as THE RAT ) put the cookies out there.