Medication induced weight gain

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been searching all over for other people that have gained weight due to medication. I take Depakote for Bipolar Disorder, and have gained 40 pounds.

Anyone else with a similar situation? Anyone that has seen success in losing?

I would love to talk if there is anyone out there.

Thanks for listening,

Meg
  • medication and weight gain
    Hi Meg,

I also have experienced weight gain while taking Serzone (an SSR I) for post partum depression. Unfortunately, I was overweight before I got pregnant, and have gained almost forty (!) pounds too.

My doctor said the medication indirectly causes weight gain. The Serzone interferes with my brain's ability to register that I'm full. So I end up eating more than I need to and gain weight.

I have not been successful losing yet, but to be totally honest, I have not been trying hard enough. I hate to exercise, and have other medical problems (hypothyroidism, anemia and a bad back)

I hope some of this information can help you. Best of luck-I know how difficult it is to deal with depression, and weight gain makes you feel even worse.

Sherry
  • I've got some experience with this. I started taking Tofrinil 5 years ago for anxiety/depression. One of the side effects is cravings for sweets. I'm now approx. 45 pounds heavier than I should be.

I discussed switching meds with my dr. but this one has the least amount of "intrusive" side effects, so I have to learn to deal with the cravings.

I'm getting ready to try WW again (at home). I have to admit to being discouraged before even starting, so I've got to change my attitude. I'm glad I found these forums -- hopefully I can make a permanent change!
  • Hi Meigg!

I have heard of people gaining weight while on medications that are commonly prescribed for Bipolar Disorder. Ever hear of Topamax? I believe it's a seizure medication that some doctors are now using to treat Bipolar patients. I have seen people whom have gained weight w/ Depakote, LOSE that weight when switched to Topamax. Although your mileage may very.

More info on Topamax here:
    http://www.psycom.net/depression.cen...opiramate.html

Love and Laughter,
    ~~Star
  • thanks
    Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. I have a set of drugs that has made me stable (I can work again, etc.) and therefore I am choosing not to alter them.

I have tried Topomax, and unfortunately I started suffering from blurred vision. There is new evidence that Topomax can cause early onset glaucoma, and that the first sign is blurred vision. I went off it immediately, and my vision came back after a couple of days.

I am meeting with a dr. next week that specializes in "medication induced weight gain". I am hoping she can provide some insight.

Meg
  • I gained with the Zoloft. I stopped taking it for a while, but I guess the effects stick around for a while. I'm getting ready to go back on it, but will take a lower dosage and hope that I won't experience the same problems.

Maybe weight gain isn't such a bad side effect compared to other more serious complications. The thought of developing something like glaucoma is very scary!

Meg, please update us after you see your doctor, if she tells you anything that you want to share. And good luck
  • Thanks to all who have responded!

After a month of following a high fiber, vitamin filled, strict 1,200 calorie diet, I lost NOTHING. Even the dietician I was working with was shocked, as she read EVERY PAGE of my food journal. Her recommendation: food replacement bars 2 meals a day, cottage cheese and a fruit cup 2x a day, and a light dinner (I usually eat fish and steamed veggies). It worked. I have successfully lost 13 pounds. I am exercising 4 days a week, and have a much brighter outlook.

Wish me luck! And thanks for such a great board!

Meg
  • I too am taking Depakote for bipolar. I am starving all the time. I have gained 125 lbs in six years. Most of the time I was to sick with my bipolar to care about my weight. Now that my bipolar is stable and I am on the right drugs to stabilize my mood I care very much about my weight. My doctor has me on Ritalin hoping to use it's side affect of dampening the apettite to help.

I have not been serious about any of this weight loss buisness until now...we (my husband and I) are watching what we cook and are trying to get an exercise routine on our Nordic Track.
  • hi, i've gained 25 lbs in about 3 months on paxil and seroquel. i have been on so many and they have made me gain. i asked to be put on something that wouldn't make me gain so much and the put me on effexor, and i have been holding steady since, now trying to lose the extra weight
  • FlaminRed - did you find the seroquel focused your weight gain in your tummy? that's what it did to me.
  • Meigg- yes that is where most of my problems are, the hardest place to lose,target training doesn't work
  • I can not tell you how excited I am to have found people who are going through what I am. I was diagnosed BiPolar two years ago and have had the most difficult time in dealing with the diagnosis 1st of all and then being slammed by the weight gain.

I have always had a weight problem, but in the past if I disciplined myself it pretty much dropped off (only to come back again).

At the time of my diagnosis, I had lost 37 lbs. only for 25 off it coming back since the meds. I am on Depakote ER and when I started freaking out to my Dr., due to the weight gain I was put on Topomax as well. However, that impaired my concentration and cognitive thinking far more than the Depakote already did. Not good for a grad. student.

So here I am feeling completely powerless. Not only have I had to readjust my life because of the meds and my learning ability - YaY! but I feel I am at the mercy of the meds in regards to my body. I am at 198 lbs. right now and my goal is 145 -150. For three months, I worked out 5 to 6 days a week SUPERINTENSELY and followed a low-glycemic diet. I only lost eight pounds. I can't help but think that for the effort I was putting in I would have had a greater pay off.

I'm thinking about continuing the low-glycemic eating, but using along with WW, which I did before, because I think the points will give me some sort of caloric parameter.

I'm sorry this has turned into a novel, but I am at my wits end and I would love to get some guidance or support from others who are going through or have gone through this.

HELP!

Lawchic
  • So are you taking both Depakote and Topamax? I take both as well as seroquel (it is a - guess what - I just totally blanked - probably from the topomax!). It is a....wow, scary. I really know my drugs. Anyway. It is for schizophrenics. It is the drug that changed my life. I used to take Depakote, Valium and Ambien (to sleep).

A few years ago I was taking 250 mgs of Topomax, and I lost weight. I currently am only taking 50. That study just came out saying it is best to take around 200 mgs, so I am going to talk to my dr. at the next. appt.

My highest was 194 - now 184.5. Everyday is a battle. FYI - research has proven depakote reduces your metabolism up to 30%.

I would love to continue a dialogue and support each other if you are interested!

Meg
  • Meigg-

I am only on Depakote right now, but I'm thinking about trying the Topomax again. I stopped, because of the loss of memory, etc., but I may try it again.

I'm hoping to get a handle on the cognitive thinking issue and get this weight off with the Topomax. We'll see.

I had no idea that Depakote affected the metabolism so drastically, (Yikes!!!) but that would make sense given my lack of success in the wieght department. Where do you go to get info. on drugs and the disorder? Although I've been diagnosed for two years, I've pretty much relied only on what my Dr. informs me and have ignored the disorder overall.

I definitely feel encouraged now that I know that there are people out there like me!

Thank you so much for your reply!

I would definitely like to continue dialoguing, esp. because I feel very deficient on what's going on with my body and I need all the support I can get!

Thanks again!

Lawchic
  • glad to know i'm not alone
    hi, I too have been dealing with the struggle of losing weight I gained on medications...so far i've been through several diagnoses, and i'm fortunately under the appropriate diagnosis of depression and doing very well with my weight loss. Before, I was on at first schizophrenia medications (due to a severe reaction I had to diet pills..phentermine), and then bipolar meds, now I'm on an antidepressant only, and am losing weight very well. I probably gained 100 pounds on meds, and thankfully, about 90 of that is gone!! Thanks to sheer determination, a great dr, a great med, and a great therapist and support system. I'm 26, as of yesterday and just graduated with my B.A. last December. I hope to hear more from you all. Take care!!!

austinloser