SUGAR BUSTERS APRIL/MAY/JUNE 2002 SECOND QUARTER RECIPE BOARDS

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Also from the ARROWHEAD MILLS FLOUR BAG

PASTRY PIE CRUST

1 cup WW Pastry Flour
    6 tbsp. veg. oil
    3 tbsp. cold water

Blend all ingredients. Press evenly into a 9: pie pan. Prick bottom of crust a few times with a fork. Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes until done.
  • CHICKEN AND BROWN RICE BAKE

1 fryer chicken, cut up into pieces
    2/3 C brown rice
    6 Cups chicken broth or water or a combination of the two, I use 4 C canned broth and 2 C water
    1 onion, sliced
    10-15 cloves raw garlic, peeled
    Optional: 1 fresh tomato, sliced, and 1 bell pepper, sliced
    Salt and pepper to taste

Lightly brown chicken pieces in skillet with just enough oil to prevent sticking. Place in 3 qt. casserole dish (or larger). Put onion slices on top of chicken and sprinkle garlic around in the casserole dish. If desired, put tomato and pepper slices on top of chicken also. Put rice and broth/water into saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Pour rice and broth over chicken, distributing the rice evenly between the chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours at 350F. This will be very runny when you assemble this dish, but in baking, the rice will absorb all the liquid and you will have a delicious flavorful dish. This can also be made with pork chops instead of chicken.
  • Found this recipe on the following site and thought it was worth passing along:

http://www.mindconnection.com/recipes/fitpumpkin.htm

Fit Pumpkin Cheesecake

Ingredients:

15 oz can of pumpkin
    8 oz Ricotta cheese
    8 oz nonfat plain yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp allspice
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/2 cup honey or maple syrup (USE AGAVE!!!!)
    (or use 1 tbsp for less carbo)
    2 eggs amp 4 whites
    (or use 5 whole eggs)

Preheat oven to 425 DegrF
    Mix pumpkin, cheese, and yogurt.
    In separate bowl, beat eggs.
    Add eggs to mix, mix thoroughly.
    Add vanilla and other ingredients.
    Mix thoroughly.
    Pour mixture into pie pan.
    Place in oven.
    Reduce oven temperature to 350 DegrF.
    Bake 40 to 50 minutes.
    When you can insert a knife into the middle and it comes out clean, pie is done.
    Cool on a rack for about 2 hours.
    Best when served immediately.
    Refrigerate, but don't freeze.

Nutrition facts (prepared as above):

8 servings per cake.
    150 calories per serving.
    12 grams protein
    1.5 grams of fat
    20 grams of carbos
    17 grams of sugar
  • Here's another good sounding one from the same site as the one above:

http://www.mindconnection.com/recipes/zucchinibread.htm

Zucchini "Leanie" Bread

Try this recipe, if you want zucchini bread without getting the insulin rush most such recipes provide.

Ingredients:

3 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
    2.5 cups whole-grain flour
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
    1/4 cup honey or molasses (USE AGAVE)
    2 tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp mace
    1/2 tspcloves
    4 egg whites (or 3 whole eggs)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Smear a thin film of olive oil on one 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
    In large bowl, combine ingredients one at a time, mixing as you go--but add zucchini last, and only after thoroughly mixing the other ingredients.
    Pour batter into pan, into shape of loaf.
    Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
    Cool on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
  • Chana Hummus

2 cups cooked chana dal (about 1 cup uncooked)
    Juice from 1/2 a lemon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 cup tahini
    2-3 cloves garlic OR 1/2 onion, chopped

Rinse the chana dal and soak in hot water for about an hour or in fridge overnight. Cook in boiling water until tender, about 30-45 minutes depending on soaking period. If soaking is omitted then cook for about 1 hour. Drain, reserving about a quarter cup of liquid.

Put all ingredients in food processor or chopper and process until smooth and creamy. If too thick add a little more water or lemon juice. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Above recipe adapted from a recipe on Rick Mendosa's website.

Here's the link to the original recipe: http://www.mendosa.com/recipe4.html
  • opps
  • Curried White Bean Dip
    Curried White Bean Dip
    Yield:6 servings
    1 glove garlic, peeled and minced
    1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon gound white pepper
    1 Tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Juice of 1 lemon
    Salt to taste

Combine ingredients in food processor; process until smooth.

Per serving: 68 calories; no fat; no cholesterol; 4 gram protein; 13g carbohydrate; 1g sugar; 5gfiber; 1mg sodium; 39mg calcium

Pita chips make a perfect partner.
  • As you know, Falafel is traditionally deep fried, but here's a low-fat baked version.

1 C. (237 ml) medium grade bulghur wheat
    1 C. (237 ml) cooked garbanzo beans, well drained
    3 slices whole wheat bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    3 T. fresh parsley, minced
    1 t. baking powder
    1 1/2 t. ground cumin
    1/2 t. ground coriander
    1/2 t. paprika
    1/4 t. cayenne pepper
    1 1/4 t. salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Soak bulghur in warm water to cover by 1 1/2" (3.5 cm) for 1 hour. Drain off excess water.
    Preheat oven to 400 F. (gas mark 6). Put all ingredients into a food processor including the soaked bulghur wheat. Process until everything is well combined. If mixture seems too dry and will not process well, add 1 to 3 T. water. Adjust seasonings to taste.
    Lightly oil 2 baking sheets with canola oil. Drop falafel mixture from a teaspoon onto baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork for more even baking.
    Bake 10 minutes. Turn the falafel over with a spatula and bake for 10 to 12 minutes longer. Makes 45 to 50 small falafel cakes.

*Bulghur wheat is available in natural food stores and Middle Eastern grocery stores.

Tahini Sauce

makes a tasty topping over the falafel or a sauce to moisten the falafel in a pita sandwich.
    1 C. (237 ml) sesame seed paste (tahini)*
    1/2 C. (118 ml) + 1 T. lemon juice
    3 ‚ 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1/4 t. ground cumin
    1 to 1 1/2 t. salt**
    3/4 C. (177 ml) to 1 1/4 C. (296 ml) water

Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Using a whisk, beat briskly into a smooth sauce. This takes about 1 to 2 full minutes of beating. This sauce can be served at room temperature or chilled. Refrigerate leftovers. Keeps well for 5 to 7 days. Makes 1 1/2 cups (355 ml).

BOB
  • Garlic Parmesan Chicken

Chicken Breast (as many or as few as you need)
    Butter
    Crushed Garlic (I use the jar kind from
    Christopher Ranch- 1 carb per tsp.)
    Shredded parmesan
    1 egg
    Toothpicks

Beat egg and set aside. Pound chicken until about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Put one tablespoon of butter and one teaspoon of crushed garlic in the center of the breast. Roll the breast up keeping the butter and garlic in the middle and secure with toothpicks. Dip chicken in egg and then in parmesan to coat outside. Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes or until done.
  • Rolled Omelets
    4 oz cream cheese
    3/4 cup milk
    2 Tablespoons ww flour
    16 eggs

preheat oven to 350 line jelly roll pan (15 1/2 x 10 1/2) with foil. generously grease or spray with cooking oil. Beat flour milk cream cheese and eggs until smooth.. there will be small chunks of the cream cheese. bake until the eggs are set 15-18 minutes..add your extras and sprinkle with cheese. roll up the omelet beginning at the narrow end of the pan and using foil to lift roll up the omelet. cut into 1 1/2 inch slices to serve.. it serves 6 to 8

extras
    I use grated cheddar cheese, toasted pine nuts, asparagus, and tiny sliced roma tomatoes..
    you can add bacon ham or whatever else you like..
    I hope that you like it !!!! It is one of our family favorites
  • In my search for eggplant dishes I came across this one on the web and thought it looked pretty good (and easy). See my notes below.

Eggplant Gratin

1 1/2 c. onions, finely chopped
    3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
    1 (1-lb.) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1/3 c. plus 2 T. fresh parsley leaves, minced
    1/2 c. fresh Parmesan, grated
    1/2 c. dry bread crumbs

In a heavy skillet cook the onion in 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately-low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is golden. While the onion is cooking, in a steamer set over boiling water, steam the eggplant, covered, for 10 minutes, or until it is tender. Transfer it to a colander, and let it drain 5 minutes. In a bowl, toss together the eggplant, the onion mixture, 1/3 cup of the parsley, and pepper to taste. Spread the mixture in a greased 3-cup shallow baking dish. In a small bowl stir together the Parmesan, bread crumbs, and the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Sprinkle the mixture over the eggplant mixture, and drizzle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Bake the gratin in the middle of a preheated 400° oven for 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the mixture is bubbling around the edges.

MY NOTES: I made this dish when my Mom was here and we both gave it a "two-thumbs up!" We thought it was not only delicious, but VERY easy to prepare.

I cooked the onions in just 1tbl of oil, put in some salt, used some bread crumbs that I made from some rye whole grain bread from Harry's in Hotlanta and found that there was more than enough topping to have leftovers, so I think you can reduce the parm. cheese AND the bread crumbs to 1/3c each and reduce the parsley a tad as well for the topping. It was so good, I made another batch the same night!!!!
  • From the Whole Grain Baking Sampler

WHOLE-WHEAT ENGLISH MUFFINS

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    Pinch of sugar or honey
    1 cup scalded milk, cooled to lukewarm
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    About 4 cups whole-wheat flour, divided
    1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

Soften yeast in the water with a pinch of sugar; when it bubbles, add milk, oil and 2 cups flour. Mix well and cover. Let rise in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.

Mix together salt and remaining flour. When the sponge is light, add to it enough of the salted flour to make a soft dough.

Beat the dough well. Cover and set in a warm place to rise. When dough is doubled, turn it out onto a floured board and lightly work in a little flour.

Roll dough out to about 1-inch thickness. Cut into large rounds; cover and allow to rise for about 1 hour.

Bake slowly on both sides on a lightly greased griddle. Serve hot. Split cold muffins and toast them. Makes about 1 1/2 dozen muffins.
  • Eggplant Cutlets

1 lg. eggplant
    3 T. mayonnaise
    1 T. water
    2 T. lemon juice
    dash garlic powder
    6 T. grated Parmesan cheese
    6 T. bread crumbs

Spray cookie sheet. Blend mayonnaise, water, lemon juice
    and dash of garlic powder in a shallow plate. Combine cheese
    and bread crumbs on wax paper. Trim eggplant and cut into
    3/4 inch slices. Dip each slice into mayonnaise mixture,
    turning to coat each side, then press lightly into crumb mixture.
    Arrange on cookie sheet. Place tray in 450° oven for 5 minutes
    each side.
  • Can you stand just one more eggplant recipe???

Eggplant Fritters

1 large eggplant, 1 1/2 lb. - cut into 1/2 inch slices
    2 T. olive oil
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    4 T. chopped fresh parsley
    2 1/4 c. plain ww bread crumbs
    1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
    1 c. feta cheese. crumbled
    3 T. flour
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375°. Brush the eggplant with olive oil and
    place them on baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes until
    tender. Chop the slices finely and place them in a bowl with
    the egg, garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs and cheeses. Add
    salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Let mixture stand for 20
    minutes. If mixture looks very sloppy, add more bread crumbs.
    Divide mixture into balls and flatten them slightly (smaller balls
    for appetizers, larger ones when used as a main course). Place
    the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Coat the
    fritters in the flour. Shallow fry the fritters for about one
    minute on each side, until golden brown and drain on paper
    towels.
  • SHRIMP SCAMPI
    Please keep in mind there are no set amounts, these are apporximations of what I use. I don't measure. Except the shrimp comes in 2# bags and that's the amount I use.

In a large frying pan melt 1 1/2 - 2 sticks of butter. Add several chopped cloves of garlic or 1/4 c. dried garlic rehydrated. Cook a few minutes to blend flavors. Add 2# fresh or thawed frozen shrimp, salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook until shrimp are pink, do not overcook or shrimp will be tough.

Fresh ground pepper gives a little more flavor than regular ground pepper. In MHO.

You can add a bit of lemon juice if you like.

Someone on the Board said they added parmesan cheese too.

Let your imagination soar!!!!

I serve over brown rice.

Shirley