16 Secrets

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This article is crazy! No wonder I didn't lose last week on vacation while eating out several times. It's all about things restaurants don't want you to know. Even with knowing that restaurant food is just not a good choice, some of these numbers still surprised and, well, horrified me.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/arti...0187534&page=1
  • Arrrgggg! Those sneeky people!!! I would love to get the nutritional info for my local Nugget Market!!
  • I JUST finished reading this!

Crazy!
  • Makes ya think twice about eating out!
  • no wounder it's so hard to lose weight
  • Ya know, I really can't say I'm shocked by some of these.

"unlike Jamba Juice's all-fruit smoothies, the top four ingredients in (Baskin Robbins) Blue Raspberry Fruit Blast are Sierra Mist soda, water, sugar, and corn syrup."

If you're watching calories, Jamba Juice isn't exactly your best friend, either.

But Blue Raspberry? What do you expect? It's almost like being upset the same four ingrediants are the basis of a Mountain Dew slurpee.

I do agree that restaurant portions are nearly always way too big, kinda skewing what we think is *normal* but it seems like there's just more consumer demand still for hubcap sized plates piled high... I hope for all of our sakes' that changes in the future.
  • I am shocked over Panera's info! My sons love their pastry that has strawberries and cream cheese on top....I hope there's nothing unnatural/artificial in that! Yikes! Shame on them....I wish it was a law of ALL restaurants to provide nutritional info like it is in NY.

I do know that we (Philadelphia) have outlawed any use of trans-fat, so that's a step in the right direction!
  • Geeeeez, you can't anywhere anymore!
  • Thanks for posting this. Ugh! It irritates me how something like this can happen at some major restaurants. I usually refrain from eating out but now that I've read this its making me even more hesitant.
  • Wow. Jeez...
    I don't eat out often, even when I wasn't dieting.. mostly because I feel like
    it can be a waste of money sometimes, but when my friends started to go out a lot to eat, I started to feel left out.. but really this just reinforces why I don't like eating out..
    Occasionally it's fine to go out and eat but this really makes you curious about what exactly you're going out to eat. Why pay all this money to put crap into your system when you could spend a little effort and make equally as delicious meals? I think I will stick with the occasional sushi...
  • Yikes. Now I feel fat just reading that! Thankfully I haven't been out to eat in over 10 years.
  • Quote: This article is crazy! No wonder I didn't lose last week on vacation while eating out several times. It's all about things restaurants don't want you to know. Even with knowing that restaurant food is just not a good choice, some of these numbers still surprised and, well, horrified me.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/arti...0187534&page=1
    That's why I don't eat out, and when I do, I go to local vegetarian or vegan restaurants.

I think that these chain restaurants are deceptive in that they lead you to believe that their food is healthier than fast food since it's a sit-down restaurant, but it's not healthier.

I was SO PISSED OFF when I went to Applebee's and got the Cesar Salad with shrimp and the SHRIMP WAS FRIED!!!! It was just disgusting. And I asked them to go easy on the dressing and it was still drenched. So no thanks Applebee's. Never eating there again.

However, I love Chipotle, but I get the vegetarian burritos with black beans and bell peppers and lettuce, and no cheese, no sour cream, no guac and no rice. And it's delicious. And I eat half and throw the other half away.
  • Hey scorpio, I'm a vegetarian too!!! woot woot! except I eat seafood. can't give that up.
  • hey i love chipotle too!
  • I think it's kind of silly. We all know how bad eating out can be for us, but we go there and choose to eat these horrible options. You have to order smart. If I order a regular sized menu item, I get a to go box with it right away and put half in there immediately so I don't pick at it. Or I usually just order of the kids menu if they let me, or just get a side. We wouldn't eat out if the food didn't taste so amazing, so of course they have to make it high calorie and fattening.

Just my opinion.