Lentil Crunchies

• 1 c brown lentils
    1 quart water
    Spray oil
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    salt to taste

Place water and lentils in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain and spread out on paper towels to dry. (I just left mine in a strainer for about half an hour, tossing a few times) Spray a cookie sheet well with spray oil. Spread out lentils on sheet and give them a light coating of spray. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until crisp, stirring often.
    Combine seasonings and toss with hot lentils. Cool and store in an airtight container.
    Adjust spices according to taste
  • Looks yummy! I'm going to try it!
  • This looks like a great recipe, Cyndi!
  • Methinks these could be addictive. I cup dry lentils cooked is 716 calories so better not nibble away at the whole batch.
  • Quote: Methinks these could be addictive. I cup dry lentils cooked is 716 calories so better not nibble away at the whole batch.
    They have the same issue the chick pea crunchies have. Luckily 1 cup dry = a lot more cooked and they are filling and spicy so I actually still have some left
  • CyndiM... GREAT recipe... I recently bought some lentils and wasn't so sure what to do with them. So far, made them with seasonings, today made them into a soup with chicken and v-8.. now I've got something else to try.

They really ARE incredibly filling. Great recipe! Trying it out tomorrow.
  • Quote: Methinks these could be addictive. I cup dry lentils cooked is 716 calories so better not nibble away at the whole batch.
    I was just making a batch of these and looked at my bag of brown lentils. It claims there are only 70 calories in 1/4 cup dry. Just to confuse things further a bag of French green lentils list 160 calories for 1/4 cup dry. That's quite a difference even for calorie counts which are notoriously inconsistent.