This Week's Healthiest Food - Olives

• Oh I love olives... I usually have a couple and snack on from time to time. I am careful because me and olives do have a history....

Food of the Week . . . Olives

Did you know that the monounsaturated fats, vitamin E and polyphenols found in olives help provide anti-inflammatory protection and reduce the severity of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and osteoarthritis? Olive oil's monounsaturated fats have also been found to lower blood pressure and help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke, while its antioxidants and polyphenols help balance cholesterol levels, boost the immune system and protect against some cancers. Vitamin E is the body's primary fat-soluble antioxidant that helps protect cells from the ravages of free radical activity. The one caution with eating olives is that they are usually high in salt content. If salt is problematic for you, rinse them off under cold running water to remove some of the salt before enjoying them.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=46
  • Mmmmm...olives.

I love all kinds of olives, as does my 8 year old DD.

One of my fav snacks right now is sliced turkey breast with laughing cow cheese topped with sliced garlic stuffed olives and rolled up.

Just a few during the day takes away a hunger edge. I love the flavor and saltiness.
  • The only olives I really like, I love them in fact, are the black pitted ones.

At 9 calories a piece though and knowing how I am with them, (like Nelie, we've got a past) I steer completely away from them. Haven't had a single one since I changed my eating habits.
  • I always think olives get short-changed by olive oil. After all, olives are the whole food
  • I LOVE OLIVES!!!!

And, I eat them daily. I put 4 pitted kalamata olives on my signature daily salad. Yum!
  • I love every kind of olive, even unsalted, but I most often eat kalamata and stuffed green olives with sun dried tomatoes or jalapeños in them.
  • Olives are amazing! And here's the weird thing: My cats LOVE green olives. One day I had the jar sitting on the coffee table and my fat cat was knocking it over trying to get one so I gave him one, and all three of them fought over it. They never ate it though, they just stole it from eachother and carried it around. I asked the Dr. that I work for (I work in a Spay Neuter Clinic) why they were so crazy about it, and he said he never heard that before. I guess I just have weird cats!
  • I never really cared for them until I tried some from the deli case of a Middle Eastern market. Pits in. I can get just a small scoop. I know they are salty, but when that kind of craving hits, I slowly eat one and then keep the pit in my mouth (TMI ?) and kind of work on it. Really drags the calories out time wise, so just 2 or 3 will do.
  • more weird cats
    Quote: Olives are amazing! And here's the weird thing: My cats LOVE green olives. One day I had the jar sitting on the coffee table and my fat cat was knocking it over trying to get one so I gave him one, and all three of them fought over it. They never ate it though, they just stole it from eachother and carried it around. I asked the Dr. that I work for (I work in a Spay Neuter Clinic) why they were so crazy about it, and he said he never heard that before. I guess I just have weird cats!
    I've had a couple of generations of cats who love olives. Green olive juice is my cats' favorites. My cats also like cantelope and other melons--again a couple generations of unrelated kitties loving the melon.
    BTW, I love olives, too.
    Amy
  • OOooOO, I love olives! Especially stuffed with blue cheese in a dirty martini

I've heard of cats loving olives up, although mine don't. Cats are so weird, love them too.
  • Graber Olives

Graber Olives: The ultimate olive for me...I love every kind of olive, Greek, French, middle eastern, stuffed, green, etc. but these are a bite of childhood for me and absolutely amazing. Buttery-creamy-salty melt in your mouth sort of taste while still having the firm flesh of an olive. WORTH the splurge if you have an extra $5 for a can. I grew up with a granddaughter of the family and she would bring bags of them to school in her lunch to share....ah...those were the olive days.
  • Mmmm..olives. Think I'm gonna snack on some now.

<<<Off to the kitchen to look for olives.>>>>
  • Just found some black olives. Yum!!
  • Mmm. I love black olives and green olives, but never cared too much for the kalamata ones.