bruises

• i work as an it technician in a school....
    i always used to carrry pcs and rest them on my hip....
    purely cos i cud and it was a very simple way to transport them....
    i am noticing problems with this nowadays....
    i have/am loosing/lost weight and it hurts to carry them in this way....
    whats more i am noticing an increase in bruises....
    not just from this but from every knock....
    are you expriencing more bruises as you get slimmer?....
  • yes!! I have noticed that I am bruising more everywhere! Especially on my hips (which I think is because they stick out more so it is easier to bump them) but also I have soooo many bruises on my legs now! It's crazy. Maybe.. less fat so less cushion to the blood vessels?? I don't know..
  • it could be that there's less fat to cushion them, or that the vessels are closer to the skin surface now so they are more likely to break if knocked...or maybe now your circulation has improved so when you knock yourself, more blood pools there making more bruises? Im not sure

Maybe if they are really painful you could try a bruise cream. My fav is antiflam (its in a purple pot, smells like pepper mint, and makes the skin go hot, then really cold, and then its heavenly )
  • It's possible it's from the weight loss, it's also possible it's a vitamin c issue- are ya'll taking multi-vitamins or anything during the day?
  • hehehe i have TWO bruises on the same hip...I guess when theres no fat there protecting it..it's gonna bruise!
  • i know that i have to take an iron supplement because i dont eat red meat and if i dont take the supplement i bruise super easy
  • I've never even heard of bruise creme. What does it do, really??
  • Quote: I've never even heard of bruise creme. What does it do, really??
    im not sure exactly, i think it works at least partly by reducing the inflamation
  • I'd recommend going to your primary care doctor and telling them you're bruising more easily just in case it's either a platelet disorder or one of your meds or supplements causing it.

I don't know how old you are, but as we age our skin gets thinner and our blood vessels get more fragile, so it may be a natural aging thing.

(I would be surprised if it's just not having a fat cushion b/c I know I for one can definitely bruise despite fat. And there are tons of people with minimal fat that don't bruise much.)
  • im 25 and i dont take any form of supplements....
  • You should look in to that, Sh3l5! I think I'm going to start jumping on the vitamin bandwagon too as soon as I get home (I honestly just do not have the luggage space to spear right now on extra tablet bottles) especially if it means less bruising. I've read from the posts that Vit C or Iron deficiencies could lead to it - any other main ones that could be the culprit?
  • I've always bruised REALLY REALLY easily (my whole family does, but it's a little out of control with me!), but I've found that it's actually gotten better with the 20(ish) pounds I've lost, and that makes me soooooooo happy!
  • I'd suggest a multi-vitamin, so you make sure you're body is getting all the proper nutrients. Other than that, some people just bruise more easily than others.