heart rate monitor..

• So I have heard that treadmills say you are burning more calories that what you actually are. My heart rate monitor actually says that I am burning more than what the treadmill says. Do I go with my monitor or the treadmill since my monitor said like a good 50-100 sometimes over? Thanks in advance!
  • They are both just estimates. But I would go with the heart rate monitor since it knows how hard you are working by your heart rate.
  • My heart rate monitor does that sometimes, too. I've found that the treadmill calorie counts are actually pretty accurate, according to my heart rate monitor, but other machines, like the elliptical or arc trainer, are WAY too high.
  • really? Awesome then. I just was taking what the treadmill said and only taking half the calories burned. That's kind of exciting. Thanks girls!
  • The treadmills and stepmills are pretty right on with my HRM. The ellipticals and freerunners run high - at least at my gym.
  • My treadmill tells me I burn around 200-300 cals for a 45 min fast paced walk and my HRM (Polar F6) tells me I burned 700-800 cals for the same workout. I have no idea which one to trust. I just keep going.
  • I would tend to trust the Polar ... as long as you've properly programmed all the info in. I still take whatever they say with a grain of salt, but at least it's somewhat of a guideline.

• I've never had mine say it was that much off. CRAZY
  • Quote: My treadmill tells me I burn around 200-300 cals for a 45 min fast paced walk and my HRM (Polar F6) tells me I burned 700-800 cals for the same workout. I have no idea which one to trust. I just keep going.

Have you double checked the data you input about yourself? 700-800 sounds hella high for 45 minutes of walking. 200-300 is a little more likely to be correct.

But I'm with you - just keep going.