Stuffed Pepper Improv - What do you think?

• I want to make stuffed peppers without the rice. This is what I'm thinking so far:

I have 4 peppers. I am thinking of lean ground meat, mixed with a can of lentils, chopped mushrooms, and canned tomato sauce (no salt, or anything non-P1), italian seasoning, 2 tbsp sour cream, and the part skim mozzarella on top.

What do you think? Sound weird? Any advice? TIA!!
  • I think it will be delicious!
  • That should work, although I don't really think you need the sour cream. But let us know how it tastes, you may have a new winner!
    You could use any type of bean in the stuffing, too, and omit the meat. I sometimes mash cannellini beans into ricotta cheese, add a little parmesan, a spoonful of pesto, and spoon it into the pepper shells. Then I pour the tomato gravy over and around the peppers and top each one with some mozzarella cheese, cover, and bake.
  • Thanks! Your's sounds wonderful.

My mom always added sour cream to the stuffed peppers when I was growing up. She swore it helped hold the filling together. I just always add it because of what I know, I guess. LOL!

I figure with this version, everyone is happy. I have a P1, my son has lentils, and hubby has meat (How many times have I heard, "So where's the meat?").

I like the idea of ricotta - maybe that instead of sour cream?
  • I use ground turkey breast to make it extra lean, also black beans, onion, mushrooms and a little cumin with NSA tomato paste. I love RF sour cream on mine too, and I top it with some wonderful pico de gallo!
  • Sounds delish!
  • Sound great.Here is a tip though. If you like it cheezy, you could add fat free or low fat cottage cheese to help hold the filling and it makes it very cheesy.
  • That's it, I'm putting stuffed peppers on the menu for tomorrow!
  • Thanks..now I'm starving!!! LOL I was going to make turkey burgers tonight, but I think you just changed my mind!
  • Sounds fantasic....I love the idea of a mexican inspired pepper. Something to think about for next week's menu.
    Thanks!
  • This was GREAT! Even a hit with my picky 4 year old. It was a bit wetter due to the missing rice, but I used 2 tbs. ricotta with 2 tsp. sour cream mixed in, garlic powder, basil (fresh), oregano, and onions. I also used fresh mushrooms. I can try to work out a precise recipe, but it's always hard since I wing my spice additions. I made a side of cauliflower because I worried it wouldn't be enough, but one pepper a piece filled us up!

This'll be a keeper.