personal experience with Bodybugg/Sensewear

You're on Page 16 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: Hi iwishfor,

I am new to this forum as well - I've been reading it all week trying to find out if this thing is worth purchasing... I have to say, I've read more good than bad about it. Now, for me, I'm trying to decide if I should get the bodybugg v2 or wait for the v3? Or buy the sensewear everyone is talking about. I emailed apex re: bodybugg v3 and the customer service person told me they are shooting for Nov. '08. However, they had barely any information. I want it now, but if I waited til Nov. to get it and it didn't come out I would be so mad

anyway, iwishfor, you said you are using the website now. One thing I haven't really gotten too much information on is how comprehensive is the food database? That was another question that I had asked them. I got another email from tech. support saying they are striving to make updates to it constantly and it is a 'work in process'. He also said that other users have commented that sites such as calorie king are better. Anyway, this is a huge sticking point with me because i'm used to using WW site or others that have a lot of info. For a site you have to pay for, I think it should be state of the art (or as close as possible) - hence providing value to the customer.
    I've never used WW or calorie king's site so it's hard for me to compare, but it is extensive enough for my needs. I hardly go out to eat and cook whenever possible, so the use of restaurant food information and such is minimal for me. And when I do go out to eat, it's hardly at a major chain restaurant and more local stuff that would be impossible to find in any database anyhow. LOL I do like their custom food option where I can combine ingredients I am cooking together and group them as one thing. My online only program expired a couple of months ago and I did not elect to start paying for it when there are other food logging sites out there for free. I've been using SparkPeople, which works okay. It is a bit more difficult for figuring out things that I cook from scratch. Much easier for me at least on the bodybugg site. I prefer bodybugg's online system more, the data looks more accurate.

I think I've decided to bite the bullet and get the v2 and not wait for v3. No sense in delaying what can help me progress more with my weight loss when there is still no target release date for v3. My trainer wasn't aware of v3 until I brought it up. They had their speculations because all the new promotional posters, flyers, etc they have to put around the gym has photos of Ali from BL with the new version. But they have been given zero info about it.
  • thanks for the info. does anyone have any postive or negative responses between the BB and SW user interfaces? I read through the posts and it looks like SW is more comprehensive of a product; perhaps I will get that one. I'm so confused but really anticipating getting one now! It sounds like the concensus is the BB v3 will be the same as sensewear v3 (avail. now)....
  • My sensewear came in today (I received a shipped e-mail this morning, so that was a nice surprise!)

I'll update with my first impression thoughts when I hook everything up tonight.
  • ATTENTION ANYONE THAT IS THINKING OF BUYING FROM BODYMEDIA!

ok - So I have been pretty quiet on the forums about the body media band since I started posting. So I wanted to give everyone an UPDATE on my experiences so far with this company.

A week or so after I started using their v3 band I noticed a few issues - calories weren't being tracked properly on the digital display; usually there would be a 1k difference between the display's calorie burned and the web's calorie burned. My steps weren't being tracked at all. And from the graph there were periods where my calories would drop to 1.0 (like i wasn't wearing it at all) during a work out or during daily routines.

I called, SUSAN QUIGLEY, the woman who sold me the band over the phone. She was REALLY EASY to get a hold of when she wanted my money. Now that I am having problems (Since September 15th!! I received the band on the 9th!!!!) I have not been able to get a reply to my emails, or calls back from my voice mails. I got a hold of her today and she promised to call me back once she gathered information about my sale. This was at 12pm PST, it is now 2:17pst and I know they are closed now. Did I get a call back? Did my issue get resolved? Is their customer support side not answering/returning calls? Nope, nope, and nope.

I am pretty angry right now.

I have sent 5 emails to her, 2 to their sales email and 1 to their support email, NO REPLIES BACK. This is starting from the 15th!! I have called ALL THEIR LINES and get that stupid voicemail.

Another thing, I noticed that soon after I bought mine, they dropped their price, by 40$.
    She over charged me, also only included ONE MONTH of the subscription, instead of the standard 6 months that a lot of you seem to have gotten from paying the full price...
    So not only did I pay the price of 431.95$ (with shipping, a digital display, and a band, with ONE month) but I also paid that much for a worthless paperweight and the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I work with customers over the phone every single day (training), and I would NEVER ever, EVER, neglect my customers like this!!! No matter HOW BUSY and over loaded we are! I will even wait AFTER HOURS for phone calls and training! NOt ditch out at 2pm/5 eastern while I have angry people waiting on me!

So BUYER BEWARE. I would wait for Apex, I never had trouble getting a reply via email/phone from those folks. And I have done business with each company. Wish I waited.

If I don't get a reply back from these guys by tomorrow (because lets be real, I have been waiting since the 15th!!!) I will proceed with a returned package and a chargeback on my Visa.
    If they treat me with some respect and acknowledge my issues, I will post it here and clear their name.

Thanks for reading and letting me rant here!
  • Well, today is my official first day using the Sensewear and, so far, I'm really pleased. The only problem I did have was trying to sync the digital display with the unit, but that was only because I skipped over the part where it said you need to be wearing the armband to sync with the display (you're not supposed to wear it when you're syncing with your computer.)

Tomorrow will be my first full 24 hour period wearing the device, so I'll update more on Friday.
  • I bought the bodybugg last night from my gym and can't wait to get it set up tonight. What was even better was that I got an extra 10% from the sale price because of the easypay I set up on my 24 hr fitness membership card.
  • Congrats on taking the plunge! I have yet to do so. Please update us with your experience. I'm still on the fence between BB or SW.... I am dying to get one of them though. I like the size of the SW but BB seems to be more accessible a the moment and cost is better.

I emailed a rep today asking about any newer technology (over the sensewear) for the BB v3 or if it will be the same as the sensewear... After doing some major research, they both need improvements with regards to accuracy.

Any help in making my decision would be great
  • Quote:
    Posted By: bodybugg Support Team
    Posted Date: 9-29-08 11:07AM
    Hello all, we are targeting Dec '08 to introduce the new device
    so december it is..haha
  • Quote: so december it is..haha
    Oh- good! I'm glad I went ahead and bought the Sensewear then. I'm doing a weight loss challenge that ends in March and I need every edge I can get on my competition. =)
  • Got my Sensewear last night!
    I rec'd my Sensewear yesterday!!!!

I was really glad to have read so many tips and reviews so I knew a bit more
    about what to expect!!

I hooked it up to my computer USB for about 4 hours so it could fully charge so by the time I got to "play" with it, it was 11:30pm.

I did get all of the software installed, the armband synced with both my computer and display unit, so all of that is done and was pretty painless.

I wore it to bed last night have had it on all morning and so far have had no problems. I don't know if it is just the novelty of wearing it, but I can see/feel an "attitude change" already.

I have been cleaning house off and on all morning and the display shows calories burned at 1.4 and 1.5 per minute-----is that pretty average?

I have logged my breakfast on the Sensewear website and that was pretty simple. I have not uploaded my calories burned yet, and will probably wait till the end of the day. I can see how many calories I've consumed after I log my meal and the display shows me how many I've burned, so I'm still able to track without uploading after every meal-----how often do you guys upload your data?

I'm excited to see how this weekend goes!!

Karen
  • I got mine last night, so far I am very happy with it.
    Here are a couple of quick thoughts:

Pros
    1. I didn't even notice it last night while I was sleeping
    2. I really like how you can move your goals around depending on how much weight you want to lose per week, or even when you want to meet your goal. It figures out how many calories to eat / burn.
    3. The food database seems pretty extensive.
    4. I like the alerts when you meet your goal.
    5. I really like having the "watch" so I can see where I am at during the day.

Cons.
    1. It doesn't seem to be keeping track of the steps correctly. It has counted 7 steps while I have been sitting on the couch for 10 minutes.
    2. I wonder how accurate the calorie burn is. It seems pretty high for me.

Those are some quick thoughts so far.
  • Jenny's 2 Day Sensewear Review

I received the items 4 days after my original scheduled delivery date, but this had been previously confirmed with my CSR Susan, so I wasn't disappointed. I received the items and everything synced up great. I did have a bit of a problem syncing the digital display with the unit but that's only because I skipped over the part in the instructions where it tells you, you need to be wearing the main unit for it sync.

If you want accurate readouts from Day 1, I recommend starting up the unit and creating your online Sensewear account the morning you start. My first day numbers are not accurate, since I didn't log anything and just put down "not active" for all the times I hadn't been wearing the unit yet. This is just a nitpicky point, but something I should have considered.

The website is easy to use- it's very user-friendly and I didn't need to read any help guides to figure out how to log my meals or upload data from the Sensewear. I did run into a problem on Day 2 where the website couldn't find the Body Media software on my computer. I restarted and all was well.

My goal is to lose at least 2lbs a week, so I'm working on a 1000 calorie deficit. I'm on Nutrisystem, so my average calorie input is 1200. I now know when I've met my deficit or I'm way off. My usual lazy day is Sunday, so I'm interested to see how lazy I really am.

Like someone else here mentioned, I was a bit surprised on the calories burned number, but after doing some research online, I found that my average calories burned (at a sedentary activity level) is around 2000, so burning 2600+ calories seems like a very realistic number. While no device guarantees 100% accurate readouts, I feel like this device is definitely closer than some website with average calories burned or the calorie counters on my workout machines.

As far as wearability, I wasn't crazy about wearing it the first day, but now I don't even notice it. People ask about it, but most of them know that I'm on a pretty strict regimen, so they have already assumed it's something like a heart rate monitor. I usually keep the digital display clipped on to my pocket, but that will probably change depending on what I have planned for the day.

I did want to note that I had a problem with the unit the evening of Day 2- both lights were solid green and it was not responding to anything- being connected to my computer, pressing the button on the device, etc. About 30 minutes later it started working again, so I have no idea what happened, but I hope it was just a fluke.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the device and would recommend to anyone who is really looking to make a change in their life.
  • Quote: so december it is..haha
    I'm glad I got the current v2 now while it was on sale then. I don't think I would have wanted to wait until December to get going on it. Perhaps a year from now and I'm still going strong on it, I'll get the v3.

Day 2 of the bodybugg and loving it. But now I sadly know just how little I burn sitting at a computer job all day. I burn as much as I do sleeping! Made me more aware and I am trying to walk around a bit more. And I also realize this thing will really really make me accountable and make me exercise. Since my trainer can log in to my online bodybugg profile at anytime, she will know if I am not exercising based on what my calories burned are!!! To the gym I go!!! LOL

It certainly gets a lot of attention. Most of my work shirts are sleeveless, minus a few button down dress shirts. So it's very visible. Everyone kept asking me what it was. A couple of people may want of their own now too!
  • Well, a lot of firsts today. Just received my sensewear armband, display, and have set everything up to start new tomorrow morning.

Also first post to any forum about weight loss. We will see how this goes.
  • Those that have these (bodybugg or sensewear):

How accurate do you find the amount of calories it says you burn to be?

Like within 100calories accuracy as best you can guestimate or what??

Also, has anyone been losing weight with this tool???

Thanks!!! I am sooo curious about this! Especially after seeing in on TBL!