Black Bean "Stoup"

• This is a Rachael Ray recipe, and I absolutely LOVED it, and so did Tom. Not too spicy, not too bland, just loaded with veggies, flavorful, and yummy! She calls it a "stoup" because it's a cross between a stew and a soup. It's good topped with a little LF sour cream and LF cheddar cheese. Here's the recipe:

Black Bean Stoup

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
    1 sprig fresh bay leaves or 1 large dried bay leaf
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 ribs celery with greens, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    3 (15-ounce) cans black beans
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
    Salt and pepper
    2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce
    2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with peppers and onions or, stewed tomatoes

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add EVOO to hot pot then bay leaves, jalapeno, garlic, celery and onions. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, then add red peppers and continue to cook. Drain 2 cans of beans and add them. With remaining can, pour the juice and half the beans into the pot. Use a fork to mash up the beans remaining in the can. Stir the mashed beans into the pot and season with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce. Add stock and tomatoes to the stoup and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes over low heat.
  • This is definitely going to be used soon as the weather gets cooler here! I can't believe I am longing for fall... soon enough I will be longing for spring and summer again!!!