Switching diets

• I was on Atkins for maybe 6 weeks. It made me miserable and caused me to binge because I was depriving myself of so much. So now I'm going back to doing a low calories diet, which consists of mostly carbs. I'm worried I'll gain weight because of the carb shock on my body. Any advice?
  • You can do a lower carb plan without going as extreme as Atkins . . . just make sure that the carbs you eat are the good lower GI/GL kind -- lots of vegetables and fruit and whole grains.
  • Why does your low cal diet have to consist of "mostly carbs". Why not have a balance low cal diet that balances protein, carbs, and healthy fats?

• by mostly i mean about 150g carbs, which isn't TOO bad compared to how many I used to eat before trying atkins. after atkins i need this amount of carbs to keep me sane, slowly i think i can reduce them. when i cut them too much all i think about is food. they are mostly grain carbs and not sugar carbs.
  • Funny that you bring up this topic. I have been posting on threads lately how I had the same problem on Atkins. I have really struggled with changing my outlook on carbs as well. I have never been successful at losing weight until I started doing WW at my home. I don't have any books or anything. I basically just do the flex program. I have lost 30 pounds and have gone from a size 14 to a size 8 since April 7, 2008. I feel wonderful and don't have nearly the cravings that Atkins left me with.

I remember when I was doing Atkins just feeling miserable about the fact that I may die tomorrow and not have gotten to eat pizza or tacos or a McDonald's ice cream in soooooo long. I love counting calories, because I really do get all the foods that I ate before. I do find lower calorie options for a lot of them. I will admit that I miss eating all the bacon that I used to go crazy on with Atkins. But I bet you my cholesterol is a lot lower. I found that the longer I was on Atkins, the less I ate because I was totally bored with the foods I was allowed. I felt so restricted. I was starving.

I do feel like I learned some useful tools. I am a pro at reading labels and knowing exactly how food is going to affect me. I love WW because it really rewired my metabolism. I had these huge fears that once I started eating carbs again that I would gain all this weight. Not true. Don't be afraid. Bread has never tasted so good.

I will give you an example of what I eat for a menu:

Breakfast:

Three pieces of Milton's bread, toasted, with I can't Believe It's Not Butter and honey.

Snack:

Banana and blueberries

Lunch:

Toasted English muffin with deli turkey, slice of provolone, some Light Lays Potato chips, a couple tomatoes, some carrots, and a small salad

Snack:

Light and Fit Yogurt or melon and berries

Dinner:

Chicken breast, Wild rice or cous-cous, small salad or an omelet made with two egg whites and one egg and some Kraft fat free cheese and tomatoes. The omelet also makes a great snack.
  • you lose eating that menu? thats amazing! it sounds delicious. i'm soo happy to be off atkins i've had no problem staying within my calorie limit
  • I've been searching for Milton's bread for the last 3 months....Sam's seems to have stopped carrying it...any ideas for NJ?