Need low GI diet buddies

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi,

I've been making small changes to adjust my diet from one that includes foods that are high GI to one that includes mostly low GI foods. I'm not really following a specific diet, although I have read one of the Low GI Revolution books which I really liked.

My diet is primarily consisting of lean sources of animal protein (fish, poultry, lean pork/beef cuts), eggs, low fat dairy, whole grains, and fruits/veggies. I can't say that I've removed 100% of the "white" stuff yet (white flour, sugar), but I'm definitely almost there.

I was also recently put on Metformin due to Insulin Resistance. Finding out that I have insulin resistance is what has led me to this healthier eating.

I sure could use some buddies who are making similar dietary changes. Any takers?

Thanks!
  • Hi there ANN . . . . . . Really glad that you found us and hope that you will join or regular monthly chat thread (it's up in the sticky area).

I'm like you and don't follow any particular GI/GL plan but I am dedicated to the theory behind them all. BTW, I'm definitely more than Insulin Resistant . . . been a practicing type II diabetic for about 20 years now.

Keep up the good work, Chickie . . .
  • I'm also a type 2 diabetic, and I have liver problems. I can't take Metformin (lactic acidosis). A year ago, I was put on insulin. It didn't do a whole lot in keeping my blood sugar stable. A couple of months ago, I had to go off the insulin and decided to go on a very low carb diet to try to control my diabetes. My blood sugar was still all over the place, and I felt absolutely horrible the entire time I was low carbing. By accident I discovered a book called "The Sugar Fix" by Richard Johnson. It's a lot like Sugar Busters and a low GI diet. The book stresses the avoidance of corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, even in small quantities, while foods like white rice and white pasta aren't forbidden. I discovered that the whole grain bread I was eating, that I thought was healthy, had corn syrup in the ingredients. I switched it for sourdough bread, which is recommended in the book. I also quit eating fruit, for the time being. Almost immediately, my blood sugar began to stablize and has been lower without insulin than it was when I was taking insulin 4 times a day. I looks like fructose and corn syrup are my demons. I feel better without them.
  • Thank you both for your replies to my post. Glad to see that there are others who are making similar dietary changes and having such success.

Yoshi--I agree that HFCS is awful. I wish it wasn't in so much of the food in the US. I understand that in Europe it is used much less. I'm hoping that companies start taking that junk out of our food.

meowee--I'll check out the chat thread for sure. I thought it was only for people on the Sugar Buster's diet and not open to folks who are doing a more general and/or less restrictive low GI program.

Regards!
  • Hey guys.. and hey Meowee! I fellow canadian!

I have been researching my butt off and following the GI lifestyle. I would love to be buddies with you guys and exchange recipes and chit chat about everything. I've recently had a horrible relapse and i need support, as well, I'm always here for supportfor you guys. I know gi diets backwards and forwards.. i'm just having trouble DOING IT!
  • We all have those little problems "Faux" . . . the secret is to just pick yourslef up and get moving in the right direction again. . . . You can do it, Chickie -- together we can all do it.
  • Ann, I'm in your shoes. My doctor suggested South Beach diet, but too many rules make me confused. I'm trying to go low GI (or at least lower than current) as more of a life adjustment. I've been on Metformin for about 6 months, but my glucose still went up. I'm now pushing the edge of pre-diabetes and hope to get it under control before my next follow-up in 4 months.
  • I was wondering if I could join you gals. Hubby and I just started the low GL diet, we both have weight to lose and don't want to have to go on meds if possible, and I am looking forward to getting off the blood pressure pills. Have a blessed day.
  • Hi
    Hi girls, I am getting psyching myself up to start a low GI diet too. I already avoid HFCS in 90% of my diet since I refuse to feed it to my kids.

I have about 40 lbs to lose and recently gained back in 2 months what it took me a year to lose... hubby and I think it was all the bread we were eating (I was not in a meat eating mood for months). I have also been extremely tired, weak muscles, achy hands etc for the past few months. Something needs to change in my life so I can get back to the old me.

I am following the ultra-metabolism book to start.

Boy will I miss all the baking. Bye-bye refined flours and suger!
  • glad to have you joining us, Chickie . . .

Come over and join us in the current chat thread which is called "Come On Spring, Please". Although most of the regulars are doing Sugar Busters (which is the granddaddy of the current bunch of low GI plans). Some (myself included) have kind of incorporated lots of bits and pieces from some of the other plans, too.

Hope to see you soon and good luck
  • I'm new and looking for support. After being a total sugar-holic with
    terrible habits, I've been on generic low-GI and moderately low calories
    for 3 1/2 days. The first day was OK. The second day was
    total **** and I could hardly sit still for feeling so antsy. The third day
    wasn't so bad and I kept really busy. But now I've just finished lunch on
    my 4th day and the sugar cravings are a monster.
  • Quote: I'm new and looking for support. After being a total sugar-holic with
    terrible habits, I've been on generic low-GI and moderately low calories
    for 3 1/2 days. The first day was OK. The second day was
    total **** and I could hardly sit still for feeling so antsy. The third day
    wasn't so bad and I kept really busy. But now I've just finished lunch on
    my 4th day and the sugar cravings are a monster.
    Oh, thank god!!! I keep getting to day 3 or 4 and then just losing it. Maybe that is kind of the peak day? Anyone know when it starts to get a little more manageable?
  • I just had a big dish with half unsweetened yogurt, half curried lentil/veg stew. I'm proud of myself for healthy eating. My stomach is full but I
    want to jump out of my skin with this other hunger/craving. I really
    want ice cream, and lots of it.
  • Hi all. I am currently starting a low GI diet. I feel great so far! This is day 4.
    Can anyone share an examples with me what they eat in a day?
    Thanks .

I am currently using the low Gi diet by DR Jennie Brand-Miller
  • Hi all, new here. Started Sugar Busters today. My menu looked like this:

Breakfast:
    Once slice of Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with a little butter
    One egg with reduced fat cheddar omlette
    Coffee with 2% milk

Midmorning snack:
    Grapefruit

Lunch:
    Salad with grilled chicken and roasted vegetables (peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli),

Mid afternoon snack:
    Almonds

Dinner:
    Ginger chicken stir fry (from the SB cookbook)

Evening snack:
    handful of grapes and glass of milk

I also took a fish oil pill and drank 8 glasses of water. Can someone on this diet tell me if this menu looks good?? I have the cookbook, but not the actual DIET book, so I'm pretty much going off what's in the intro of the cookbook and anything I've found online. Thanks!