atkins diet success stories?

You're on Page 3 of 7
Go to
  • Quote: I can honestly say Atkins saved my life When I began Atkins over 4 years ago, I was 245 lbs I could not walk up 3 stairs or a quarter of the way around the block without being totally out of breath. My Dad is an insulin dependant diabetic & has CHF (congestive heart failure)...I KNEW I didn't want to end up like that.

I bought Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, I read it and I began the Atkins lifestyle on 4/13/04. It took me slightly over a year to lose over 100 lbs. I did not count calories...only carbs. I ate mainly Induction foods...lots of veggies & salads. My exercising consists mainly of walking and I am a big fan of Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds. I think I have almost all of her dvd's.

Four years later, I am still on Atkins and have maintained my weight loss I can honestly say I have never found Atkins difficult to stick to. There are so many wonderful recipes out there! Atkins is one of the best things I have ever done in my life! Thank you Dr. Atkins...I Love You!!!
    What an inspiration you are....congratulations on your success!
  • My first 7 dys on high protein diet
    Hi all, I'm a newbie (hope i'm putting this in the right place!!). A week ago i started on a high protien zero carb diet of eggs, red and white meats, bacon sausages and mushrooms NOTHING ELSE. I always used to love my carbs especially white bread and pasta etc and i also was drinking 10-12 mugs of coffee per day with semi skimmed milk and 1 spoon of sugar!! Since starting my new diet i have religously taken up the active sports program on the playstation console and also a little weight lifting every day just for 15-20 minutes or so. At the start of the diet i have also gone down to only 1 coffee in a morning (same ingredients as before) and 6-8 pints of water per day!
    My meals stay the same every day for breakfast (2 boiled eggs and mushrooms) dinner is a piece of meat and 2 poached eggs and mushrooms and tea/supper is a couple of slices of bacon and a few sausages with mushrooms! In my first week i have lost 8lbs! My start weight was 238lb last monday and i am now 230lbs!! My goal is to get down to 190lb by july 7th when my wife, children and i go to egypt for 3 weeks
    My question is....If i was to stick to this strict regime would i lose the same kinds of weight week in week out? or would it stabalize??

Thank you for comments/advice in advance, Andrew
  • Hi Andrew, a couple things:

1) You aren't on a no carb diet, you are eating mushrooms! Mushrooms have carbs
    2) Are you trying to follow Atkins? If so, your vegetable intake needs to reach 3 cups per day of acceptable vegetables.
    3) No, your weight loss will not remain that fast. The first week on a low-carb diet is mostly water. The second week you will see it slow down... Then even more weeks 3-4 as your body continued to try to figure out what you're doing to it! By week 5 or so, your weight loss *should* resume an okay pace of 2lb or so per week. This is a general pattern, not everyone follows it, but it's good to keep your expectations reasonable.

Finally, it's a good idea to think about lessening your dietary restrictions over time, to make it more sustainable. You can't live on four foods. You need variety for nutrients and fiber and sanity That is why if you are following Atkins, after the first two weeks you gradually add back in other food groups including dairy, nuts, and berries, while still losing. Something to think about, anyway! Good luck!
  • Atkins worked for me 6 years ago I had my dd and after she was 3 months I started atkins and lost 50 lbs by her birthday.

Tho Im here again I have had two more children since my dd and i gained 40 with my third child lost 15 lbs and gained another 40 and lost 18 of that so here I am now that things have settled down with life so I can focus on me again!!
  • I can definitely say that low carbing works-I started at 172 and now am down to 148 as of today. I also exercise alot. I find the success stories and helpful advice from other members a tremendous help!! My goal is to get down to 135. I am 5' 3" tall and 61 years old. I hope this post helps motivate someone else as I had tried getting back on Wt. Watchers, and other plans-but the carbs were killers for me.
  • Hello! My name is Kristine. Age 21.
    My Atkins diet results: Lost 48.4 lbs (22 kg).
    Now my Body Mass Index, BMI is 21.!

I wanted to ask you all for something - Can You write a story about your Atkins success for my Website?
  • Quote: She is that! As is lilybelle!

I think it would be inappropriate at this stage to call myself an Atkins Success Story, since I'm not yet half way to my goal, but further to your questions:

How well has this diet worked for you?

So far, very well indeed! I've been averaging half a stone a month - so 1-2lb a week.

How much weight have you lost and over how long of a time?

I started on January 7th this year, and so far I've lost 3 stones (42lb).

I hate being fat - but I can change this. I AM changing this. And it's both astonishing and intoxicating to feel yourself succeeding, and to realise that all the low-fat cheese, all the wholegrain bread, all the low-fat spreads and skimmed milk and 100% fruit juice and suchlike that I HAD been eating before in the belief that these were good choices was actually contributing to my problem.
    Wowee, if I can do this and lose weight as quickly as you I can be at my goal by Christmas, Now that is a huge incentive for me. Thank you very much, I needed that boost.
  • I'm loving the success stories! They really help for those of us just starting out.
    Thanks to all who have posted!
  • I had tried Atkins many years ago but forgot how well it worked for me...now I have been on it for a little over 2 weeks and down 16 pounds! I love all the food I can eat and can't imagine going off this plan! I haven't started my fitness plan yet but am working my way towards it...way too long as a couch potato, my body just about gave up on me. Good luck to all of you on your weight loss adventure!
  • I did Atkins for about a month back in 2010. I lost about 14 lbs in that month, I stalled for one week after two weeks of induction when I tried to move onto OWL and started using the Atkins bars for snacks.

I thought it was OWL that stalled me, but it was after that I realised it was the bars that had done it. Once I cut them out I kept losing.

The reason I stopped is I felt good about how I looked and my husband and I (we were just engaged at the time) decided we wanted to get married in 3 months and then move to a new city and then start trying to start a family. We got married in January, moved in February, and I found out I was pregnant in April.

Now I've had my baby a month ago today and I'm ready to get back on track
  • Hi StephanieM! I am so glad you posted a response today...it has been a while since I have been to the site and have fallen way off track and probably would still be avoiding it if I hadn't gotten an email from 3FC about a response to this thread. I think I have let myself off the hook long enough.

I love Atkins, I was also using the bars...quite often actually and think that's why I hit a plateau as well. They made it so easy to make me think I was on the right track but at the same time halted my weight loss almost completely after the initial water weight was gone. I am so ready to get back on track too and think this time I will do it without them. I am afraid of OWL since it also slowed my weight loss down but will probably put it off for a while...maybe until I am about 20-30% to my goal.

Good luck to you!!
  • I'm glad you are wanting to get back on track! I have a large amount to lose and I want to get started ASAP so I can get back to that awesome weight I was at. I like Atkins too, I didn't feel hungry and the weight just melted off when I had stalled from just calorie counting and weight lifting.

Good luck to you as well! I hope more people become active in this part of the forum, seems like there are a lot less people then when I was on over a year ago.
  • Hi ladies - these success stories are brilliant and the support I also need.

I done Atkins about 8 years ago and lost 16lb in the 1st 2 weeks and then with the help of exercise and portion control lost a further 25lb over 3 months and felt great. Managed to keep the weight off for quite a while aswell.

Now I've had another baby and have piled the weight back on and need to lose 70lbs so have today started Atkins and the comments here have totally inspired me.

Thanks and good luck everyone
  • Trying to pull myself back onto the wagon...the more weight I have to lose the less motivation I seem to have to do it! Today I am hoping to start fresh, painted motivational quotes on my bedroom walls and trying to focus...Atkins will definitely be my partner of choice...now I just need to focus on my goal.
  • Quote: Trying to pull myself back onto the wagon...the more weight I have to lose the less motivation I seem to have to do it! Today I am hoping to start fresh, painted motivational quotes on my bedroom walls and trying to focus...Atkins will definitely be my partner of choice...now I just need to focus on my goal.
    I know exactly how you feel. I can't tell you the number of times I have restarted. But I recommitted four weeks ago and have lost 11 lbs...still hard not cheating but every day is a new day.>Good luck