Cereal question

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am going shopping tomorrow morning to prepare for phase 2 on sunday....but the book just says to chose a low sugar cereal (that has fiber etc)....but I don't know what is considered low sugar......is it 5 grams per serving or less or more.......
  • I am not sure, and I know there are others on the forum much more qualified to answer this question. But I think a cereal like plain shredded wheat or special k protein plus cereal is low sugar and phase 2 appropriate.
  • In The SouthBeach Diet, Super Charged book, for cold cereal it says to choose a low sugar cereal with 5 grams of fiber or more per serving. I believe low sugar would mean no more than 2 grams of sugar per serving. For hot cereal, you should choose a whole grain cereal with at least 3 grams of fiber and no more than 2 grams of sugar per serving.
  • I really do not think special K is qualified. I am pretty sure it has like 1 or <1 g fiber per serving. As for the sugar I am also not sure.

Most of the general mills/post cereals probably are not the best choices for high fiber cereals, even if they are low in sugar.
  • I did a preliminary check a while back and I don't think I found a cereal with less than 2 gram of sugar per serving.....do you know of any cereal names that i should look for?
  • I did some researching and discovered that in the original book, for cold cereal the sugar amount should be less than 8 grams per serving. Fiber One is a popular cereal, as is Kashi Go Lean and Shredded Wheat. South Beach also has some cereals. I'm not a big fan of cold cereal, but I'm sure there are more out there.
  • aaaahhhh okay 8 grams I can work with .....thanks
  • 3/4 cup Uncle Sam cereal has 10 gm fiber and 1 gm sugar.

Ingredients are whole wheat kernels, whole flaxseed, salt, barley malt, niacin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1).
  • I am assuming uncle sam is an american store....I live in ottawa, canada and for sure that isn't here ......alot of the stuff you guys get aren't available here....so I usually drive to messena NY once or twice a year to get that type of stuff....I feel a trip coming on soon ....
  • Uncle Sam is American, but it's a brand, not a store. It's owned by U.S. Mills. The cereal has been around since 1908. It's usually to the side of regular cereals, with kashi brand and other non-mainstream cereals. I wonder if they give it a different name when they want to market it outside the States!
  • Hmm, I wonder if Newman's Own Cereal qualifies.. i had some for breakfast the past two mornings..
  • Can you get Weetabix where you are?
    That is phase 2 friendly.
  • Yes I can get weetabix here....never tried it before....the trouble with cereal like that and shreddies etc is in the past I have always showered it in brown sugar lol......not sure how these cereals taste without ....guess i'll find out .....
  • Remember you can use a little splenda or other artificial sweetener and/or berries to sweeten it up a little. Blueberries or strawberries and shredded wheat is always a favorite summer time breakfast.
  • I became curious about my favorite cereal, Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs. 1cup serving lists 0g sugar. I add fresh fruit for texture and sweetness. My store was recently out of stock and I bought the Go-Lean, but I find that too sweet for me. I love my sugar and sweets, just not on my cereal.