Whatcha Reading July '08?

You're on Page 6 of 6
Go to
  • Quote: I didn't know there was a second book called Size 14 is Not Fat Either...I am really excited now because I enjoyed Cabot's Size 12
    There's also a third called Big Boned. I read all three -- they're fun!
  • I just finished reading the Host and it was kinda eh. I loooove the idea of a parasitic alien invasion - that was pretty cool. I liked the beginning and the end of the book but felt the middle really really dragged. I also couldn't stand all the adolescent lovey angst. It was a really fast read and I would probably pick up a sequel from the library.
  • I'm not going to lie... I'm finishing up book 5 of A Series Of Unfortunate Events. They are addicting! I got a good deal on the first 5 books, hardcover, on ebay, so I bought them "for the kids".
  • Getting ready to start Double Cross by James Patterson later today.

Finally got back into reading The Saving Graces...glad it got a little better, not bad overall. Don't think I will read another of her books though.
  • Kar73, I really liked Flowers for Algernon, incredibly touching!

Right now Im starting The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield.
  • I'm reading This Charming Man by Marian Keyes. I usually like her books, but this one is dragging a little. Also have Donna Andrews new book Cockatiels at Seven to start. Just got the new J A Jance Damage Control on audio and I'll start it as soon as I finish the Linda Fairstein I'm listening to. It's an older one called Final Jeopardy. It's funny to notice how fast things have changed. It was written just 10 years ago and while the characters have email, they have no cell phones, no internet, and no PDA's.
  • I am almost done reading Just Beyond The Clouds by Karen Kingsbury. It is a really good fast read. A very touching story about a Down Syndrome young man and how his older brother tries to protect him from getting hurt. Don't know what I will read next when I am done with that one. Sounds like you are all reading some good books right now.
    Happy reading!
    Kerry
  • Pat -- I really like Marian Keyes too (I think there was only one book so far that I didn't like). I especially liked Anybody Out There, even though it was different from her others. I have This Charming Man on my Bookswim list, so I should get it soon.

I just finished Sue Grafton's D is for Deadbeat and before that I read Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise. Suite Francaise was interesting, but more for the background story of the author than the novel itself. Nemirovsky died in Auschwitz in 1942. She had planned a novel of 4 or 5 sections but only finished 2 before she died -- it's about the German occupation of France during WWII. The first section was a bit slow and I enjoyed the second one much more. The writing is really beautiful in spots, but I found myself more interested in the appendices, which included Nemirovsky's notes and plans for the novel and all the letters to, from, and about her around the time she was deported and taken to Auschwitz. Pretty tragic. Her daughter brought the manuscript out for publication many years after her death.

Now I'm reading Phillippa Gregory's The Constant Princess. After that I plan to read Jane Green's The Beach House. The birth of my baby will probably interrupt the reading of one of these books, unless he decides to stay put until next week!!