The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

You're on Page 3 of 17
Go to
  • such great (Beck) insight
    Greetings all, on a beautiful morning.

Heidi, I think you are really onto something with the morning AND evening journaling/ reflecting. Not only is it a great Beck strategy, it is a great living strategy..a way to suck more awareness out of each and every day. It is so hard to "hang on" to a day, make it last, make it count. Especially in summertime. How has the 4th come and gone already?

I am grateful for my hyper-awareness of daybreak and waking up early in summer. I don't have any trouble staying moving all day long, either, but it is not really cardio or strength training, it is just moving. My gardening efforts are pretty much as the spirit moves me and where ever the sun moves me (I follow the shade!)

I love, love, love the morning light on my shade gardens. I love the way the morning light is so different from the evening light, though both are so much more flattering than mid-day bright sun.

The color is really bursting forth right now. The Oenothera are spectacular, and they are getting some good back up from a supporting cast of Flax and Gallardia and annuals.

BillBE, kudos on the move toward vegetarian days. Good for you, good for the planet. I am so not there; I am just such a carnivore. I read the post on this forum a while back about focusing on a vegetable as the main part of the meal and what goes with it. Huh? That is just un-American. And of course, why so many other cultures outlive us!

Happy thoughts to all. Have a great (Beck) day.
  • Good morning my coaches. I did alot better yesterday and I feel really good about it. Today is sunday and in 2 weeks I fly out. I am excited about seeing my brother as we have not seen each other in a year,,,that is when we go on vacation.
    Hope that all is going good for all of you. Today I start day 7...organize your home. I will be doing this for a few days as I need to really go through and remove and restack some food and everything. Later.
  • What is the minimum post so that you can get a weight tracker?
  • Hi everyone. I wanted to let you know that as of last Monday --official weigh-in day, I've passed the 50 pound mark (-2 pounds for the week brought me to 51 in total) and reached onederland!!!!! Almost all the loss is since I started Beck on February 18.

I continue to do well through day to day life, special occasions, stresses, etc. I'm still eating according to South Beach guidelines, with some flexibility, and a bit of a nod towards blood pressure lowering and HDL increasing recommendations. I've started swimming as one of my exercise options -- so it's either Curves, bike ride, swimming, or a walk most days...I'd say I average 6 days a week.

Bill, you asked a while ago about whether anyone weighs and measures their food. I do, most of the time, for everything other than vegetables. Not at restaurants, not for company meals, and I estimate for things like stews and stir fries. I'm finding I'm getting better at estimating portions -- for instance, the other day I put a piece of fish on the scale which I estimated at 4 ounces -- and it was. I find it's helpful in taking the guesswork out and in avoiding portion creep. I do still try to pay attention to mild fullness, since that's an important awareness in general and especially in situations where my food isnt' measured, but most of the time I clean my plate when I'm having a measured meal or snack.
  • Good Morning all,
    Mary: I would love to see some pics of your gardens. It is so special to have something like that that brings you joy just by looking at it (as well as tending to it, etc...). Really, I keep trying to pay attention to the things that bring me the most joy to be able to identify a "hobby". I think I am just into trying to do what I have well right now-but dd and I do a LITTLE bit of gardening. I should even just designate a little patch for myself to have that experience-too much to commit to the full meal deal of putting gardens in everywhere in my yard. Really...pictures-do you have any?

BillBlueEyes: Cheers! I don't measure my food either but I have in the past. It does help with things like cereal for me to be able to visually see in the bowl where a cup of cereal levels out. Barpos described it perfectly...

Barpos: WOW-you are in the zone! Big kudos to you!

Today I have done my journaling and am now being summoned to "school"-dd brought out my schoolbook and "ticket" (?) to bring to class with me. She is yelling, "ding, ding, ding! Schooltime! Time to come to school!". Wonder what I will learn back there-gotta treasure these times, I am learning that the stages get past us FAST!.

Here's to a beckful day for everyone-I do solemnly swear to sit when I eat and keep my advantages in my head throughout the day. Off to "mommying".....
  • angelmomma210 - From the authority, posted on the Fourth of July.
    Quote:
    from Suzanne 3FC, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145563

Signature option - 20 days and 20 posts

New members cannot use the signature option until they have posted at least 20 times and at least 20 days have passed. This was necessary due to problems with spammers.

• I had some Highs and Lows this weekend but it's all par for the course right?
    Got out early on Thursday and headed to PT it was my sit down to eat day Now mind you I have a scooter style wheelchair so I totally could have cheated on this one! I didn't have a snack so PRe-PT I bought a golden delicious apple Pulled over and ate and appreciated it!
    For the better part of the weekend I thought about what I was eating through parties and everything. Tonight I went over the deepend stress at returning back to work had me in a box of TJ's honey nut cheerios UGH
    So while I'm not pleased with this Overall for the weekend I did well. I'm picking you all as my coach
    I cleaned my house out of Junk (some very personally cough) and I've automated my breakfast and lunches for the week. I think I'm going to crawl into bed and read the next day for Beck!
    Tomorrow is a new day!
    Kier
    PS I will try to respond to ppl!
  • Thank you...I am shooting for 20 posts. I have already done a weight tracker and hopefully it will come on.
  • Needed to tell you that I am on day 7 and have started reorganizing my home. It is coming along and dh is helping. It seems to be a little easier that I thought.
  • Okay...could someont explain the weight tracker...I have one but don't know how to apply it. Thanks.
  • Monday
    Diet Coaches – Quiet relaxing weekend. Stayed on track. Put out for recycling some 30 pounds of paper from organizing my stacks of stuff this week - kinda proud of that. CREDIT moi.

MaryBlu - Yeah for morning people. Love your description of the difference in morning and evening light.

mommying Heidi (hbuchwald) - LOL at having a "ticket" to go to school. Perhaps your DD has the solution for truancy; if kids had to pay for each day, they may be more reluctant to skip and lose their money. Kudos for staying with your journaling.

Barbara (barbpos) – Congrats on 51 pounds, and CONGRATS on onderland. Kudos that you're in the zone with your food and exercise plans. Thanks for the comments on measuring. I measured my bean salad for my lunches this week - one cup - seems small. May have to try even smaller containers until it looks more appropriate.

onebyone – Hope sales were high with the good weather this weekend. Great idea to pass along your loaf of muesli bread.

angelmomma210 - Kudos for marching forward with arranging your home. Re the weight tracker in the signature: as I've seen Suzanne 3FC explain it, you have to have 20 posts and 20 days. Since your profile page shows that you signed up on June 30th, looks like your signature will kick in on July 20th.

Kierie (KO) - Will happily be one of your coaches, hope you will also coach me. Kudos for the neat appreciation of your Golden Delicious Apple. And Kudos for keeping your perspective after a mixed weekend.

Readers – "Whether you’re depressed or content, a stay-at-home or working parent, a binge eater or social eater, a dieting novice or dieting pro, the Beck Diet Solution can help you. " Beck, pg 23.
  • Okay....thank you about the signature.

Did good yesterday..had cereal and milk for breakfast....a burrito for lunch and a snack and then a peach. For dinner dh made steak and chicken on the grill. The chicken was marinated in light zesty italian dressing. We also had augratin potatoes...I had one serving..wanted more but told myself that I wanted salad instead and I did. Did have green beans and salad and a piece of chicken and a small piece of steak so that I could taste it. Then I cut up the meat and put them away for lunches for dh...that is really a good thing for me to do.
    I am on day 7 now and reorginizing my home. We moved alot of canned stuff and I went through my cubbards...it was a good feeling. Have a great day.
  • morning all!!
    sorry I have been MIA, we left thursday evening for oklahoma for my brothers wedding and I did not take the laptop, well it wouldn't have mattered because I was way too busy all weekend to post anyhoo.. BUt it was a great weekend! On the No S diet you can splurge on special days and weekends and even though I had the ok to I really didn't go crazy. I did have wedding cake and I did have some drinks but all in all I think I toned it down quite a bit which I am giving myself full credit for
    Tonight I will update you on days 7-11 for me on Beck. I'm working right now but I wanted to check in so you didn't think I left for good
  • Good Morning Beck Babes (Assuming you're all women but a man can be a babe!)
    Billie: I will happily coach any and everyone I can! You're doing great organizing and recycling.
    AngelMom: you're doing great!
    Spryng: you handled the wedding weekend really well!!

Coaches: So I had to give myself some credit last night after posting I found myself staring in the fridge (I keep my cereal and flax prepacked for easy AM Grabbage) Pondering having a my night stinks bowl of cereal. I closed the fridge door turned off the light in the kitchen and didn't walk back in!!! CREDIT!
    I'm home today with a bad headache
    The plan for today is a turkey and swiss wrap for breakfast tea with agave and 1% Cereal with milk or lentil stew for lunch and experimental veggie packed hamburgers for dinner.
    Its day 8 and I'm working on my schedule and what is really important!
    bbl
    Kierie
  • i'm going to try a slightly different approach...
    morning everyone,

back from a crazy couple of days roadtripping with the regular and extended family. lots and lots of driving, which was tough on el nino and consequently tough on myself and DH. too much time in the car. i managed to talk DH into talking me into running another half marathon, this one at the end of september. training starts immediately and i look forward to faster and more enjoyable runs, since i get to keep the fitness improvements i made while training for the last one.

lots to reflect on in everyone's posts. onebyone, i've had EXACTLY the same sabotaging thought - "i don't need to lose any more weight! i'm fine the way i am." well, we're both wonderful exactly the way we are - but why stop there when we could be happier and healthier? i'm so much more consistent with exercise, i think, gee, why worry about what i eat? why do i need to lose weight? BECAUSE I'M OBESE, that's why! clothes don't fit the way i want them too! i can't run as fast as i'd like! i hate looking at myself in pictures! why do i think these things will somehow magically go away? heidi and wendy, so wonderful to hear from you! mary, your observations are particularly helpful - i like "hang onto a day." they go so fast, and i don't know if awareness makes things slow down - but it does help you remember them later. the strongest memory i have of the blur of my wedding day was our first dance, because it was the most focus i had the whole day. barb, amazing job. really fabulous! go ON, girl! bill, your continued awareness of yourself and behavior is inspiring. i toast you with my (bought and paid for) coke zero! ko, bill isn't female, but i also believe (correct me if i'm wrong, bill) that "babe" can be applied to anyone. hope your headache improves! spryng, if you're allowed to splurge, i DEFINITELY believe wedding cake is the way to go.

i also have been less than disciplined in my approach, and it shows. daily planning is the first thing to go, because somehow in my head it's the thing that really means that i'm on a diet and i can't eat the foods i want/like/deserve/etc. i'm going to try an experiment: i'm going to plan a week's worth of off-plan food. when i write my meal plan, it's historically been all super-healthy, low calorie, diet-perfect, and not at all what i actually want to eat. since i've been successful at maintaining with no plan, i'm going to plan to eat the food i really want - in the amounts i've been eating them, as a way to try and get over my visceral reaction to returning to a meal plan. hopefully i can get comfortable with that, get my brain wrapped around the fact that following a plan doesn't mean eating food i don't like. i got religion about exercise and tracking what i eat, so i'm going to ease my way in by journaling what i'm really going to eat before i eat it, instead of afterwards. if i can get used to doing it this way, then after a few weeks i'll make one improvement in my diet each week (or maybe even every other week.) i'm still too black/white in my thinking about how this "should" work, what i "should" eat, how quickly the weight "should" come off. kaplods posted on another board about how she was instructed to do a sort of "reverse" atkins - instead of taking carbs down to almost nothing and then adding them back to figure out what a good individual amount is, she started exactly where she was and then gradually removed. i think i'm going to try that with beck - plan to eat exactly the way i do now, and then gradually improve. it's not that my eating is terrible now. not at all! i'm generally pretty healthy. i just have this rock-solid resistance to meal planning that i need to soften and get my head around.

what do you think, coaches?