Soy Milk

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, in an effort to try and do some of my usual cooking with healthier ingredients, I purchased some unsweetened soy milk (Silk). Ugh, this stuff is nasty! Is there anything out there that tastes better that isn't loaded with sugar?

And I like soy beans! Steamed soy beans in the pod == my favorite snack.
  • Keep trying brands until you find one you like. Do you use sweeteners?
    We make our own soymilk (Soyabella maker) and add agave and vanilla to "flavor" it.
    Wonderful!
    Some folk add Splenda for a low-cal alternative.
  • I agree that the regular flavor is pretty gross, but maybe you could try the unsweetened vanilla or chocolate flavors? I like the unsweet vanilla from Westsoy and Silk, and I'd love to hear about the chocolate if anyone has tried it....
  • I happen to like Silk soymilk, but you might want to try Almond Milk. It's a very healthy substitute for milk. I can't stand rice milk, but that's another option. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • I'll keep trying. I'll have to see if the local commissary even carries rice or almond milk...if not, I'll try to sweeten the silk with splenda and see how that works out.
  • Try the vanilla flavor. I don't care that much for soymilk, but at Christmas time Silk has an eggnog flavor and I like that because it's way lower in calories than either real or imitation dairy-based nog
  • I love the Silk chocolate, it's better than the real thing! You might try the vanilla instead of the regular. I've tried a few different soy milks and I keep going back to Silk. 8th Continent made me a bit nauseous.
  • I looooove 8th Continent, and don't care much for Silk. Just keep trying til you find the right one for you! I never thought I'd ever use soy milk, but when you find the right one, it makes all the difference!
  • Does it have to be soy? I unsweetened Almond milk, it comes in Vanilla or Chocolate. 40 calories for a cup of the vanilla. I toss it in the blender with some ice, splenda and frozen banana or strawberries and a splash of fat free 1/2 & 1/2 (it makes it creamier). GOOD STUFF
  • Where in the store do you find this almond milk? I've heard of it, but never found it!
  • I find it right next to the soy milk. Trader Joes has it pretty cheap but I've found it at Safeway as well.
  • Another recommendation for almond milk, here! I get the unsweetened vanilla by Blue Diamond (called Almond Breeze). It is found in the health food aisle, non-refrigerated, with the other cartons of non-refrigerated milk subs (rice milk, hemp milk, etc.). At only 40 calories a cup (as previously mentioned), it's a great calorie bargain compared to many milk substitutes.

I, too, tried the unsweetened soy milk, and I dumped it down the drain after 2 sips
  • Ahhh, unrefrigerated! Never looked for any type of milk there... Thanks for the tip!
  • My all time favorite of all soymilks is 8th Continent Lite Vanilla. 60 calories and its pretty good as far as protein goes. I have switched over to the same brand but original flavor lite because I just mix it with my cinnabun protien mix (yum!) and it tastes the same with the mix.

Its tons better than silk and has way less calories. Same serving of lite original silk soymilk has 80 calories vs 50 in the 8th continent brand.

Hope that helped!
  • Yep, 8th Cont Lite Vanilla, yummmmm, and Naytally, your avatar cracks me up!