Points for my marinara sauce?

• It's a disgustingly simple recipe, but since I was never good at keeping with WW, I don't know how many points this may be. I want to start back with WW, though.

Sauce:

2 cans diced, fire roasted tomatoes
    Fresh garlic to taste (I use a lot of garlic, usually the whole bulb)
    1 onion cut into chunks and separated
    1 tbsp olive oil
    oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste

Sweat onions in olive oil with seasonings. Add garlic and stir around until garlic aroma comes out. Add tomatoes and stir. Allow to simmer, stirring frequently to reduce the sauce to slightly sticky. Break up tomatoes and onion as desired. Serve over a healthy pasta.

(Mods: If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry! )
  • Mmmmm, sounds good! Personally, I don't count any veggie ingredients when I make sauce. I would just count the points for the oil. I'm sure you're supposed to count at least the canned stuff, but last time around I lost 100 lbs without ever counting canned tomato products and I'm not going to start now. After all, it's a veggie, not a cheesesteak!
  • I love this sauce. I made it for my family last night (with only 1 clove of garlic and a sprinkle of dried, minced garlic) and they loved it. It goes great with any pasta. Now to avoid cheese, sausage, garlic bread and white pasta with it.

I like using the Ronzoni Smart Taste or Healthy Harvest, or the Barilla Whole Grain pastas with it.

The Barilla Whole Grain, per 2 oz (cooked or dried? i don't know which):

Calories: 200 (15 from fat)
    Fat: 1.5g
    Carb: 41g
    Fiber: 6g
    Sugars: 2g
    Protien: 7g
  • The 2 oz of pasta is the dry weight. On the label where it says 2oz, it says there's approx. 7 servings per container, and now most of the pastas are only 13.25 oz instead of 16 oz like they used to be. I usually make a big batch and then just divide into freezer containers by the number of servings it's supposed to be. With all kinds of yummy stuff in the sauce, you get a bigger serving, which is totally awesome! I made some sauce yesterday with onion and shredded carrots in it, didn't have any garlic though. My husband, who refuses to eat carrots, never even knew they were there! Hee hee hee...