Happier Days

• Hello! It is great this forum has been started, and what amazing timing in my life! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts...I didn't know where to post my message...because I wanted to write everywhere...just thought I'd start a new thread!

It is nice to see that I am not alone in the world when it comes to depression and weight issues. It is so reassuring that there are other wonderful people out there...just like me.

I have been battling depression for about 5 years and I just went to the doctor about 3 weeks ago. I was too scared and/or embarrassed to go...but knew I had to do it. I found a doctor I was comfortable with (although the anxiety about going was a lot to handle) and I am so glad I went. She had a wonderful way of opening the door to talking about my depression and giving me a glimmer of hope. She put me on Zoloft, and suggested a counselor. I have gone to the counselor once and will go again in a couple of weeks. I haven't noticed a huge difference with medication yet, but am feeling more energetic and my eating habits are improving. I am no longer eating constantly! I don't feel the need to...so I guess that is a big change!

I have had to deal with some doosies in the last several years and I am so glad I am now moving on....and I am so glad to be posting here to meet new friends! We can all help each other with the weight battle and the others we have been working on.
    Currently I am at 211...down from 217! Good news! I would love to be 200 or in the "hundreds" by summer!

So...please post...write back....I am looking forward to some new friendships! WE can do this together!

Trace
  • Welcome Trace
    So glad you could join us. I completely empathize with being too scared or embarassed to go to the doctor about depression. I waited, 5-6 years myself before I had to get help.

It sounds like the Zoloft is working well for you.. more energy, controlled eating and a great loss to boot! I am glad you are seeing the counselor. I found it a BIG help when I first started on medication. I don't know if you are exercising yet r not, but I find exercise to be an amazing endorphine booster. Gets me going for the whole day.. I actually am missing the rush on my days off!!

Hope you'll hang out with us and be a regular poster.
  • Welcome Trace,

Your post gave me lots of hope THANK YOU !!!
    Keep us updated on your progress, okay.

Love Leens
  • Thanks!
    Thanks everyone...I really feel welcome here.

I go to the doctor again tomorrow for a checkup...she is also taking blood for thyroid test. I am a little nervous about it but realize it is something I have to do.

I will post again soon...take care all

Trace
  • Hi Trace,

Welcome, I think this forum is going to be a good thing for all of us.

Good luck with the thyroid testing...I suffer with hypothyroidism and have been on meds for 16 years. They help a lot, especially with depression, fatigue and mood swings. So if you need them, please take them. Don't let your fears get in your way.

Nice to meet you...Meg