Dessert Idea

• Well, since ice cream and cakes are out of the question. Has anyone thought of eating frozen Cool Whip? It's great for the Atkins diet. Check it out.
  • Quote: Has anyone thought of eating frozen Cool Whip? It's great for the Atkins diet.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but...no, Cool Whip is not great for the Atkins diet. It contains corn syrup & high frutose corn syrup...both of which are not acceptable on Atkins.
  • The only kind of whipped topping you want on atkins is fresh home made whipped cream (heavy cream yum)... you can even add some Davinci's sugar free flavored syrups.

• Ok, well you've got a point there. However if you were to indulge in some kind of sweets, wouldn't Cool Whip and a bowl of fruit be better than a bowl of Ice Cream?
  • A bowl of fruit with real homemade whipped cream would surely be better than a bowl of ice cream

On the rare occasion I endulge in a treat...its ususally Fage greek yogurt with some frozen blueberries, a splash of DaVinci's syrup & chopped, toasted almonds on top! Delish!!!
  • Quote: The only kind of whipped topping you want on atkins is fresh home made whipped cream (heavy cream yum)... you can even add some Davinci's sugar free flavored syrups.

Just make sure you read the label on the heavy cream. I found out they are not all created equally. One brand sold here (sorry, don't have brand name) shows 1 carb per tablespoon (I'm thinking they add sugar), and the brand I use shows 0 (California Sunshine Ultrafresh).

Also, if you are a coffee or tea drinker and you like creamer in your coffee/tea (like me) - get rid of that imitation creamer and half-n-half, use heavy cream.
  • Quote: Just make sure you read the label on the heavy cream. I found out they are not all created equally. One brand sold here (sorry, don't have brand name) shows 1 carb per tablespoon (I'm thinking they add sugar), and the brand I use shows 0 (California Sunshine Ultrafresh).

Also, if you are a coffee or tea drinker and you like creamer in your coffee/tea (like me) - get rid of that imitation creamer and half-n-half, use heavy cream.

Yep.. not all is created equal Read Read Read !!
  • I would not lay money that Cool Whip would be a better choice than ice cream, either from a calorie or carb perspective, and definitely not from a flavor perspective.

I know when I was in WW, someone passed around a "recipe" for ice cream sandwhiches. Chocolate or vanilla wafers or graham crackers with Cool Whip Light (or maybe it was Cook Whip Free) frozen between the layers. My mom made them, and they were hideous. I don't think frozen Cool Whip tastes anything like icecream. It tastes like frozen grease to me (even the light or fat free, whichever it was). Even when it's thawed, I'm not all that crazy about it, to me the vanilla tastes a little off, like it might be imitation vanilla flavoring rather than genuine vanilla.
  • All good points. Those Cool Whip sandwiches sound interesting and I bet they were created with the best intentions.
  • Heavy Cream is the best way to go. If you need crunchies add chopped nuts, sweetness -artificial sweetners.
    How about combining Cream and Sugar Free Jello?
  • Eeewww... lol... I don't like cool whip! Maybe some homemade whipped cream would be alright, but who knows!