Where did the Lake GO???

• this is something i just have to share it happened over the weekend with all the rain we have been getting. BTW i live about 3 hours north of here and we have had alot of rain but not nearly that much. this article is from my local paper.

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/app...NTPAGECAROUSEL

and this one is from Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2188335.story
  • Hubby just told me about this a couple hours ago (we live in Wausau).
  • Kaplods-- i am in mosinee soon to be moving back to wausau. isn't something though.
  • Wow, I have family in Wausau, but I live in Alabama now. I used to live in Milwaukee and we plan a trip up that way the first week in July----thought about going to the Dells---how's that area?
  • Yep, small world.

Hubby and I met in central, IL (Bloomington/Normal area) about 6 years ago, about 4 years ago we moved to Wausau (back for him, as he grew up in Wausau and has family in the area). I told him, I'd always wanted to move outside of Illinois at some point, I just never imagined moving North!

Actually, I love the area. We moved up for the cheaper cost of living as hubby's job disappeared (downsizing) right before the company moved to Mexicao, and I was having crazy health problems. Now we're both on disability as two years after I got it for fibromyalgia, autoimmune disease and arthritis, hubby had a bad fall, tearing up his shoulder and sort of pushing an existing bone and joint disease over the edge (he had his first knee surgery at 17 and his doctor told him then that he'd be permanently disabled by age 30 - he made it to 35). Any way, we've both talked about moving somewhere with warmer winters, as they really hit us hard, but we love the area too much. Or, as we've talked about, becoming perhaps the lowest income "snowbirds" if we can buy a bit of property in the south or buy a motorhome. Of course, with the price of gas, I'm not sure that "snowbirds," will not become an endangered species.
  • WOW! mrsaugie!

And we both know about small world don't we Colleen...Bloomington/Normal...Steak and Shake and all!
  • now that is weird. mother nature can sure be cranky.
  • Aahh, EZ,

Steak and Shake, just the name gives me a craving for chili mac (I'm a 3-way girl myself). Can't forget a few shakes from the bottle of clear vinegar pepper sauce (and those pretty yet inaccessible tiny yellow peppers) or the saltines - to absorb the orange grease separating from the sauce, got to eat it before it cools and congeals.

I would have to say that chili mac is definitely the most disgusting food I enjoy (and I like tripe and other innards). I was actually quite sad when they tore down the "original" Steak and Shake on Main Street. Walking to that Steak and Shake from the Illinois Wesleyan campus was a weekly tradition (and quite a hike, or at least to my fat-self).