Whatcha Reading June '08

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Absolutely desperate for something to read one day, I fished a Carol O'Connell book out of a box at work. I read it even tho' it was number 8 or 9 in a series about Kathy Mallory. I really enjoyed it (can't remember the title now). I went online and found all the others. As soon as I finish Patricia Cornwell's Jack the Ripper, I'll launch into them.
  • About 2/3 of the way through The Good Guy by Dean Koontz
  • I finished Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot the other day. I'm about to start My Life As a Rhombus, a young adult book that I picked up from the library. I need to read Mohawk by Richard Russo for book club - has anyone else read it?
  • I'm reading..New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. I'm loving it so far!!
  • I read all the time. New books, old books, various types of fiction, various types of non-fiction....you can almost name anything.

Anyway, I just completed The Renshai Chronicles series by Mickey Zucker Reichert, and have just started on The Powers That Be series by Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.
  • Shopaholic, I'm a huge fan of Stephenie Meyer's. I don't think she's the most eloquent author to ever put pen to paper (I'm mean, she's no F. Scott Fitzergerald, but neither am I!) but I do think that her stories and characters have this amazing quality that just makes me want more. I mean, she's writing about vampires for Pete's sake and I want them to be real!

Hope you have Eclipse waiting for you as soon as you get done with New Moon!
  • Jen, have you read Meyer's The Host? I just rented it from Bookswim, but I don't know when I'll get it. I still need to read Eclipse too.

Right now I just can't find anything I want to read. I get in these ruts sometimes, and I think it's because I've just read TOO much lately, if that makes sense. Nothing is satisfying me. I keep starting books and then stopping them because I don't like them. Then I go back to reading all my books about childbirth and labor and scaring myself.
  • Jen~Oh ya, I defiantly want more!!! I want the vampires to be real too!!! LoL!! I dunno though, I haven't loved a series like this in awhile. I even got my friend into loving it as well, lol. I do have Eclipse waiting for me. I had to leave it out in the living room so I couldnt be tempted to start reading it while I was still reading Full Moon, lol. I do read another vampire series though. But its mostly like chick lit. It's fun light reading. I swear, I dont have a thing for vampires, LOL!!! (Or maybe I do..I still love watching Buffy)

LisaMarie~I'm gonna be reading The Host after Eclipse. It's gonna be a little wait until the 4th book comes out, so I gotta keep entertained until then, lol.
  • I am reading Water for Elephants - I love it!!!!!!
  • Francie -- What's the other vampire series you like? Maybe I'd like it too! I love Buffy -- we bought all the seasons on DVD and pretty much plowed straight through them a few years ago. Right now we're watching all the Angel seasons (we're on season 4 now).
  • Sweet Sissy...how did you like Size 12 is Not Fat? I just bought it but won't read it for a week or so. I have my next three reads stacked (it's second) and waiting but still working on The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage.

Mararthon Mom...I LOVED Water for Elephants...definitely one I will read over and over, eventually.
  • YAY for finding fellow book lovers.

LisaMarie - I devoured The Host last week. I really enjoyed it. It's very different from Twilight (not nearly as over-the-top romantic) but again, the story is compelling. I understand about being in ruts, and then nothing satisfies. I'm kind of there right now.

Shopaholic - I live in Asia, and found the Twilight books in Singapore last winter. I brought them back and have been passing them around my friends here ever since. Everyone's addicted!

Right now I'm re-reading a book I picked up from my shelf in desperation - it's one of the Falco mysteries by Lindsey Davis. It's passing the time, but I want something new that I haven't read before.
  • Currently reading

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (gulp!)
    and (to lighten the mood, or not, as it were )
    Wicked by Gregory Maguire
  • LONE SURVIVOR....a gift from my daughter for Father's Day...loving it!
  • Lisa~The other vampire books I read are the Undead and Unwed series. I think they're funny..lots of s-e-x though, lol. I'm waiting for the next book to come out. The author also wrote like 2 books about a Mermaid, those were pretty good too. I wish she'd write more.

Jen~Oh ya, the books are very addicting!! I'm so glad my friend started reading them too, lol. We're gonna see the movie together when it comes out. I cant wait to read The Host.

Well..I'll be starting Eclipse tonight. Its gonna be a long night of reading, lol.