Wellburtin SR

• Great thread. I, like most overweight people have been depressed. I also suffered from Anxiety/panic attacks a few years ago. I started therapy though and that rid me of the Panic attacks but The depression still comes and goes.

I wanted to quit smoking this year and My doc put me on ZYBAN which is just another name for Wellbutrin SR. Its and antidepressant/anxiety drug. I found that it not only helped me quit smoking, it lifed my depression and is helping me with weight loss. It makes me feel less compulsive than when I'm not taking it. It is currently being looked into clinically as a diet aid. The only side effects I had from it was some crazy dreams/sleep distrubance for the first few days. Other than that I LOVE IT.

I quit smoking last month but I'm staying on the drug. It really helps me.

Sarah
  • Thanks for the info on Zyban. I am really happy this site is here, I always felt like there wasn't anyone out there like me but now I see there is.

Thanks again,

Love Leens
  • So Nice to meet all of you!
    What a nice place to come to feel at home. I too struggle with depression, was in a car accident last November and it put my life on hold. I was doing so well prior to that. Had joined a gym and was going faithfully for 5 months. Had lost 12 pounds of body fat and went down a size. Was feeling so good, it was like an antidepressant for me. I had somewhere to go and liked being with women who had a common interest. It set the pace for my day, giving me so much energy. It was work, but it made me feel better physically as well as mentally. Well, that is all put on hold until I can heal this body...

Needless to say, I have slipped into "depression", having found the size I worked so hard to loose and not having the strength and energy to do anything about it. Funny thing is, I didn't gain any weight, but the body expanded again lol . Just goes to show you what exercise can do for you.

I too have been put on Wellbutrin. I've been on it for about 4 weeks and don't feel that much different. What I was wondering was, those of you (Sarah) that are on this, what dose are you taking? I am on 150 mil once a day...I believe the normal dose is twice a day. Maybe I need to increase it. Any informatin would be appreciated.

Thanks Linda for telling me about this board. And thank you everyone for letting me into your life. So nice to meet all of you. Meg
  • I started out on 150mg in the morning for a week and then up to 150mg twice a day. After I quit smoking i went back to the once in the morning dose. It takes a few weeks to build up in your system before it becomes effective. If you dont feel it working yet perhaps you should ask your doc about twice a day dosing. It may be what you need to get it started in your system. I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Sarah
  • HI MEG!!

Sometimes it takes a while for the medication to work, and sometimes it takes a while for them to get the dosage right. Don't give up, because once they do you will be feeling much better. It is worth going through the fine tuning period. I am taking a different medication, but once it started working it was like my life went from black and white to color. GOOD LUCK, and keep us posted!!
  • Meg meg meg
    Hi Meggers, glad you found the place. I hope you'll stick around.

Detrassi is right.. it takes time. You might be on right drug and right dose, but it takes some time to notice the effect of some drugs. I am not familiar with this drug, so I don't know how long it takes. Your doctor would be the best person to ask about this. You could be on the right drug, but need a higher dose. I am guessing, that after a month on a drug, if you haven't felt much difference, they will probably increase your dose. You could also need another drug.. I am on my fourth drug. I would suggest calling him/her and telling what you told us.

We each have a unique body chemistry and like when making cookies, you have to use the right ingredients.

Who said cookies?
  • WellButrin SR
    My nurse practitioner placed me on Welbutrin SR specifically to assis with decreasing appetite. I t seems to be working.
  • Hi Doxi,

Glad the wellbutrin is working for you. If you don't mind me asking, what dose are you taking? I take 150 once a day and don't see much of a difference...trying to figure out if I need to adjust things.

Thanks and good luck!

Meg
  • Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share my experience with Wellbutrin SR. I started it in September for depression and after about a month I started to notice a big difference in myself. It CAN help you to lose weight, unlike some of the other anti-depressants like Paxil, which tend to cause weight gain. I haven't noticed a significant loss, but I do notice much more energy and motivation and of course, less sadness. Someone on here mentioned that it also helps to alleviate agitation or anxiety. My psychiatrist explained to me that while Wellbutrin is an excellent drug to fight depression, it does not help with anxiety and as a matter of fact, that is one of the side effects. I've experienced more anxiety on this drug than I ever have. But the overall benefits of Wellbutrin outweigh anything else... including the insomnia I went through in the beginning!

By the way, really the minimum dose you should be taking to get results is 150mg twice a day. But start out slow and work your way up.

Good Luck!
    Lisa
  • I've been on 450 mg of Wellbutrin for about 3 months...It does curb my hunger, but I noticed I'm much more anxious and paranoid...now I'm on another med besides this. I did very well, years ago on Prozac 80 mg, but nowadays it doesn't have the same effect.

I haven't noticed any weight loss...but I have decided to get with a few of my friends and try the buddy system. The thing is my two buddies live in two different states. I think this site will help us. There's so many people here with the same story as mine, so many ideas and success stories and so many motivational words from all of you.

Wish us luck!
  • MY experience w/ ZZYBAN
    I HAD to repond to all this HAPPY talk about Zyban/Wellbutrin.

Last month i started to take Zyban to quit smoking, i stopped smoking after 1 week on the med. because it really curbed my taste for cigarettes. After 3 weeks on Zyban i started to itch all over, & then i got Welts on my body anywhere i scratched - -THEN began the shortness of breath, which REALLY freaked me out.

I was terribly excited about quitting smoking, loosing weight (because that is what some people tout as truth) and lift my depression w/ one prescription!!! I just dont want everyone reading these posts to think Zyban is some wonder-drug, there are side affects and i experienced the worst of them,,,,, BE CAREFUL!!

BUT AFTER ALL THIS, i DID quit smoking - - so all the suffering was not so bad!!!

PJD
  • Hi Everyone,

I did some surfing the other night and found a very interesting and informative site http://www.geocities.com/borg_aw It is a "wellbutrin" site and has a lot of info as well as a message board that is very interesting...worth checking out.

Hope all of you are doing well...keep smiling

Meg
  • Hello everyone

I just joined a week or so ago. i take 300 mg of wellbutrin in the am and 150 mg at 3:00 in the afternoon. I also take 100mg of zoloft at night.

i have not lost weight, but have gained it. I have been on both meds. for 8 monthes. I have gained 15 pounds.

I feel much better. everyone has noticed a big difference in my mood and personality.

I no longer have the energy rush i first experienced. I feel as if i could sleep for days. over spring break ( Im a teacher) i slept for 20 hours only getting up for meds and water.

The dr. put me on ritalin several monthes ago. He only gave me a weeks worth because it is addictive. But I truely feel I need something like this to get me out of my tired rut.

I have to lose weight very soon. I'm going back to my home town who is used to seeing me as a size 10 and i am now a 22 very close to 24.

any ideas for energy

thanks
    bender

PS
    bigsis it really sounds as if we have alot in common. feel free to send a private message.
  • Welcome
    Hi Bender and welcome to the boards

I wish I had an easy answer for energy, as I am sure you have heard this before. When you get regular exercise, you have more energy and you sleep better. I know it is hard to start, believe me I struggled during the first few weeks. Start slow, because the more you do, the more energy you have. Also, proper nutrition. That means getting enough calcium, cabs, proteins, and vitamins that fit whatever plan you are using. My physician recommended I take a daily multivitamin. While a vitamin is not a substitute for good nutrition, it sometimes is hard to get everything you need when on a weight reduction plan. I thought I could eat junk and take a vitamin and be fine. She informed me that was not the case.. drat!

I started back to exercising on January first. I am now at 5 days a week cardio for 40 minutes and 3 days a week weights. I started out at 3 days cardio, and my session were 15 minutes a time. I can tell you I feel better, I sleep better and I have a lot more energy to get through the day. I also work full time and it really helps my mental alertness at work. Number crunching can be a definate sleep inducer if you are tired!

I wish I had a better answer for you, but this is what I have found. Maybe someone else on these boards has some more suggestions.
  • Thanks for the information. I know over a year ago, when I was going to the gym it only took about two weeks and I was feeling better. I will just find a way to deal with the boys while I go to exercise. I know I can not get off the wellbutrin. If I skip a dose I turn real ugly.
    thanks,
    tina