Calf injury - how not to be depressed

• Hi everyone

Four weeks ago i suffered a grade 2 tear of two of my calf muscles. Was very painful initially, and was in a walking boot, using a cane. Eventually, things have gotten better, and can now walk, although not long distances, unaided. I continued to work with my trainer on upper body stuff (doctor said that was fine) but i have not done cardio or leg work for more than a month now. At first, i didn't care that much because i was in pain and just wanted to get better. Now, i find it really hard not to sink into a funk...i love to exercise ( i actually don't love doing it but i love how it makes me feel).

I don't want to push things...i'm not supposed to resume cardio until i see the doctor and get the ok, and that's not for two more weeks. I am also more than a little scared of reinjuring this thing...

Any ideas on how now to fall into a pity funk would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Veggiegirl1
  • Strength Train!!! This is what I did when my knee went haywire back in September...I strength trained, used an "arm bike" at my gym...whatever I was allowed to do, I did.

The result? By the time I had my surgery, I had BUFF arms...strong enough to carry me around on my crutches...and those are still there, even now that I'm back on my cardio routine. It kept me sane, too, since I could still get exercise endorphins.
  • Thanks Mandalinn...what exactly is an "arm bike?"
  • http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...o-arm-bike.htm

Video about using the arm bike for cardio.
  • Omg, my heart goes out to you.. I had a really bad charley horse the other night and thought I was going to die, I can't imagine your pain... I admire your committment to exercising... I wish you a speedy recovery...
  • Thanks Mandalinn for the link, and thank you SweetCaroline for the words of encouragement It really helps...

I had a session with my trainer this a.m. and my arms and abs are getting quite a workout! I see the doctor on Thursday and will know more how things are progressing...some days are better than others so I just try to focus on those! Thanks again ladies