Lowfat Baked Potato?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey ladies! I love baked potatoes but need some suggestions for enjoying them in a low fat way. Can you share your secrets?

thanks!

(also, is this the right forum?? )
  • While I can't eat potatoes on my current plan, I can tell you what I used to do to make them a little "healthier".

First, use Parkay or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Also, use FF Sour Cream and FF Cheese. You can also top with various veggies or protein like Turkey Chili, grilled chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and onions, etc.

Enjoy one for me!!!

*2 months potato free!
  • I like to add steamed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, zucchini) and then top with zesty marinara.
  • ooooh, you need to try this!!
    cut your baked potato in half and mush it up a little with a fork
    sprinkle whatever seasoning you like, garlic salt, pepper various spices, dry onion soup mix, anything!
    evenly spread 2% cootage cheese and top w/ grated parmasean
    stick in the broiler for just a little bit
    the cottage cheese will melt (like REAL cheese) and it is unbelievably yummy and extremely healthy and low-fat and low-cal!!
  • A good tomato salsa.
  • i eat sweet potatoes plain. love them.

I no longer eat white potatoes but when I did i added a bit of fat free plain yogurt and some tuna all mashed up and it was a meal!
  • I am one of those weird people who have always loved a baked potato with out butter or sour cream...just salt n pepper...lots of pepper.

Same with salads...I have never wanted gobs of dressing. 1 tablespoon is enough unless it is a HUGE salad. Salad dressing is not what made me fat...the bacon, full fat cheese, croutons, etc definately contributed to the fat fact...but not dressing.
  • I love mine with BBQ sauce.
  • Im having baked potatoes tonight too. I am just added a couple tablespoons of Light sour creme and a tsp or butter. And salt. Yum yum!
  • I use a couple of spoons full of low-fat plain yogurt along with salt, pepper and some sliced scallion tops - I'd use chives if I had them.
  • Molly McButter sprinkles. Very low in calories and flavorful; sprinkle on right after splitting open the potato so the steam turns the powder into a bit of a melty fluff. Ranch flavor, cheese flavor, sour cream and chives flavor, whatever!

Of course, I'm totally craving a potato, reading this thread. And my "old way" too... real bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream, real butter, chives, pepper... ah... the good ol' days (NOT).

When I was low-carbing, I learned how to make a cauliflower casserole that is exactly like (I'm not kidding, here) twice-baked potatoes with all of the cheese and bacon. It's delicious! But only for the low-carb'ers. Not the low-cal's or the low-fat'sers.

Ah... again... the good ol' days.

NOT! (Stay grateful about your diet, Grace. Stay grateful about your diet, Grace.) Aaaaahhhh!
  • I pop my potato open or slice it up and top with fat free cheese and pop it back into the oven until the cheese is melted.
  • I like mine smashed... I have been making them with low sodium chicken broth instead of milk and butter. I found a garlic flavor broth... mmmm.

Experiment with spices - they can add al ot of flava w/o adding any calories/fat.
  • I add some I can't believe it's not butter spray and salt and pepper. That's all.
  • Quote: ooooh, you need to try this!!
    cut your baked potato in half and mush it up a little with a fork
    sprinkle whatever seasoning you like, garlic salt, pepper various spices, dry onion soup mix, anything!
    evenly spread 2% cootage cheese and top w/ grated parmasean
    stick in the broiler for just a little bit
    the cottage cheese will melt (like REAL cheese) and it is unbelievably yummy and extremely healthy and low-fat and low-cal!!

This sounds really good! I'll be trying that. I've gone away from bakers because they are boring. What a neat idea here! Thanks!