Exercise

• SORRY IT'S SO LONG!!

I know I've been missing in action lately but at least I'm not gaining...just maintaining. I have lost about 20 pounds just by changing what I eat, how much I eat, and when I eat. I am successfully eating breakfast now, btw. People at work have finally taken notice and I've been called, dare I say it, SLIM!!!

I think the reason I am just maintaining and no longer losing is because I've lost as much as I can just by changing the food and now I need to add exercise into the mix in order to keep losing. Thoughts?

I finally bought an iPod nano and loaded it up with fast, upbeat workout songs. I also got these Nike Plus shoes and a sensor to put in the shoe and a thing to plug into my iPod nano that is supposed to record my walking and running patterns. Has anyone heard of this? So now I have no excuse not to get out there and start walking and running and just plain old moving. The problem I'm having (and have always had) is getting motivated enough to get up and actually do it. Not to mention finding the time.

I have only signed up for Summer B at college so I'm going to have about two months off soon and I'd like to use the extra time (I still will be working full-time, keep in mind) to start an exercise routine. How do you guys get up and get out there and actually do it?

I caught a show on TLC called "I Can Make You Thin" with Paul McKenna (sp?) and he was talking about how good it is to exercise because it makes your metabolism faster. It also talked about paying attention to when your stomach says you're full. There seems to be a lot of good stuff on the show. Has anyone watched it? What do you think about his Golden Rules?

Again, sorry it's so long but I've been out of the loop and apparently I have a lot to say...make that ask. Lol.
  • It's good to read about your success!!! I totally empathize about your situation. I was the same way - I bought the gear, put a new battery in the MP3 player, packed my gym bag, put on my gym outfit, and then proceeded to huddle under a blanket on the couch the rest of the night. I finally dragged myself to the gym one day. I hated it and had to force myself the first 2 weeks to really go with any consistency. But then I started noticing some results and it has kept me motivated and made it easier to make myself go now! You can do it too! All of us in my department work full time and have to study after work as well. Those of us who excercise regularly do it in a consistent pattern I've noticed. Those with families go way early in the morning before work and those of us who are single like the extra time to sleep in the morning and we go after work instead and then come home to eat and study.
  • I giggled as I read about the blanket and the couch as I'm wrapped in a comforter on my couch as I type. Ha-ha. And yes, TV is on. But yeah, same thing happens with me so it was good to read your post. I think it's great that you now have a routine. I have heard that it takes two weeks to start a new habit. I have classes on the internet and on campus on Tues and Thurs after work. I work from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. So, I could probably do what you suggest and work out after work on the days I don't have school. I live right near a bike/pedestrian trail too so I have no excuses! I just need to do it...and that seems to be the hardest thing. Ha-ha.
  • Hey Florida! Long time no see

When it comes to exercise, I had to force myself. I scheduled it in a day in advance, and every time I looked at the calendar I said to myself "Oh right. I'm going to be on the treadmill tomorrow after work." I said it enough times that it was "scheduled" in my brain. Like a doctor appointment or something. When it came time to go, I went! It wasn't super easy, I did think about not going, but making it an appointment really helped out. Now it's turned into a routine. So I just head there after work each day
  • I know, right? I've missed the forum and all you ladies (and the one or two guys I've seen floating on here. Lol!)! I'm going to have to schedule some appointments on my calendar at work tomorrow!
  • Florida Native: I have noticed in the past that youa re the same height as me = but your b-day is in August, TOO? Mine is the 30th and I would love to be at goal by then, but I am focusing on losing weight PERMANENTLY instead of setting a time to lose it by.

I have always felt the same as you about exercise... I have been focusing on changing I see in my body and how I feel, and that is motivating me to stick with it and to do more and more. I also switch it up a LOT. Sometimes I take a class (b/c it can be nice to exercise in a group) and I run with a group on Saturday mornings, sometimes I walk by myself, sometimes I do a workout DVD at home, I use my treadmill, I take the stairs at work, and now I am thinking about joining the gym at work (they have classes, too!)

It helps me to have tiny little goals - like my goal is to exercise three times a week. I get overwhelmed if I say 6 times a week, but three is totally do-able.

When I was working and taking classes - I would squeeze in a workout between work and class (I had an hour and 45 mins. btwn.). Getting up earlier in the morning can work. Or if you can just get out for a walk at lunch time?

Scheduling it in is a stupendous idea! I think I am going to start trying that... If I can schedule coffee with the girls, then I can schedule some time with my Billy Blanks DVD or my running shoes!
  • I found it hard to get into an exercise routine, but I think if you stick to it for like a month it becomes easier. When I worked full-time (I quit to go back to school) I would take walks on my lunch. I don't know if you work out in a gym or not, but I find if I get home and start doing things around the house I get lazy and don't want to leave. SO, I always pack my gym bag in the morning throw it in my car and go directly after I get out of school, that way I don't give myself time to get lazy. Or find a friend that wants to walk too. That way you can be work out buddies and motivate eachother. There have been times when I was sitting on the couch and a friend called to go on a walk and that was just the motivation I needed. Or try to find an activity you enjoy like tennis, or dancing, or spinning classes, because if you enjoy it, it doesn't seem like work.
  • SCraver: Yeah, we are the same height! How freaky our birthdays are so close too. I had a St. Pat goal and a birthday goal (St. Pat goal kind of added into the birthday one) on top of my larger goal because it helps me to break things into little goals I can accomplish. So I definitely don't want people to get the impression I'm losing weight just for my birthday. I'm tired of going up and up and up and I'm tired of yo-yoing when I finally do lose. This time, I'm hoping to make it permanant and just MAINTAIN! And you're right, if I can make time for a beer or a lunch, I can make time to walk and run. I just need to do it.

I wish I had more friends here that had somewhat of a similar schedule so we could exercise together but we're all kind of on different routines. It's hard to keep up with everyone. I'm going to try to get out there and do it this weekend...we'll see!