What was your big push or motivation? Share your stories.

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • good luck with your audition. I feel like when i was younger i just new i needed too loose weight... i was sick of being called yokozunos (spelling) daughter.. for those of u who dont know who that is its a sumo wrestler. but when i turned like 18 my sister who had lost like 70+ pounds would pat my stomach everytime she saw me it made me crazy thats what did it then... now its my friend saying that I always loose weight and gain it back because I never stick to anything.. he said its just who i am and it would be weird if i was any different I am Ridiculously determined to prove him wrong. And I'm totally sick of people saying "you will find someone who likes you for your personality" thats all good and well but i want guys to be like... who's that hot chick, and then the biggest one... I cant wait to go upstairs without being winded when i get to the top I remember it happend once it will happen again
  • After being surrounded by my family and friends and tons of good food every weekend between Thanksgiving and New Year's, I returned home and fell into a lonely funk and began my worst case of yo-yo ever. All the gains I had made pre-holidays 2007 were gone starting with Thanksgiving and through the end of February. I knew I had to do something, but I literally couldn't get my butt off the couch. Two things got me moving again. One was having my mom come visit and nag me about my unhealthy behaviors. The other was a huge fight with my boyfriend over my weight, his drinking, and our future. I also went out and bought a cheap 2 piece swimsuit from Target so I could visualize exactly what my goal needed to be. Kristenflynn3, I also agree with you about the guys looking past the big girl right at the hot chick. Since we already have nice personalities, with hard work we can be the hot chicks too!
  • a lot of things, but one that comes to mind is a photo that a friend posted on her myspace, me, her and another friend, and I saw it and just about freaked, like "holy *$%$ am i THAT FAT?!" ^_^ I mean, I didn't even recognize myself anymore in photos.
  • I've had a number of those OMG moments and then 2 months later I'm right back to where I started. The most recent moment was when biggest loser started, all the contestants weighed in and I realized I weighed more than the heaviest woman on the show. I cried for most of the show and the next day decided to do something.
  • To be honest, it's as simple as vanity. I wanted to wear cuter clothes, and at 235, and even now 27 pounds later, it's hard to find the designer styles I crave. I want to wear designer jeans! Things like that. But hey whatever works, right?

Also, I just want to live a longer life. And I don't want to spend my 20s being overweight.
  • I found it pretty inspirational to read everybody's motivators, please keep them up!!
    For me:
    1. Like somebody else, I want to be able to feel good cute clothes. I don't want to feel fat when trying on clothes nor do I want to have to worry about buying clothes because I feel fat in it. I want to wear clothes that I like when I see it on the rack, not clothes I feel will hide my bigger figure.
    2. I have a friend who has lost a ton of weight even though she was skinny to begin with. Though I must admit that she looks too skinny and almost borderline anorexic (she's revealed to me that she's under 100 lb at 5'5), it is still a huge motivator for me because I feel like if she is able to get to that size (size zero or even smaller maybe), then I am able to too. Though I dont' want to look like her at all, because she is way too skinny and doesn't even fill her pants anymore, I do view her as a big push for me to get to 120 lb.
    3. I really want to look my best for prom.
    4. When I see weight loss infomercials with moms triple my age that are skinnier than me, that reallly really gets to me. I get even more motivated when they say I'm finally at the weight I was at back when I was in college, because then I feel that I should be at that size now because I'm in high school > going to college soon.
    5. When I see skinny(but fit) tan girls working out in their cute workout clothes like a tank and short shorts at the gym. I work extra hard because I know that the same body is within me somewhere and I know I can look just as great as the girl that ran by because I can get a pretty kick butt tan too.
    I sound very vain here, but yea, these are some of my biggest motivators.
  • My biggest motivation is to live a long, healthy life. There is a history of high blood pressure and cancer in my family, and I figure the best way to try to fight off something I have a genetic predisposition to is to be as healthy and fit as possible.

However, I would also really, really like to enjoy shopping for clothes, and to feel comfortable in a bathing suit.
  • Quote: I had alot of different things that motivated me. First off I had gained almost 30lbs during and after my pregnancy, I had no clothes that fit anymore and refused to shop in plus size so i lived in mens trackpants and big tshirts, the one that really got me going was I wanted to try out for canadian idol and I thought there is no way when the camera adds 10lbs am I going on TV. I have losed 43lbs so far and my audition is next saturday
    Let us know how the audition goes!!!
  • Losing weight has been on my mind for...who knows how long.. I don't even remember.
    However, this time is really different. To start with, I've already been to gym without missing one time for a month..(3/week). And that's more than how many times i've been to Bally's fitness in 2 years I've had their membership. I am very motivated and am in this for good and for a long run... and my push for this..
    Well..
    While I was pregnant, I lost so much weight because of morning sickness that even after I had her, I still weighed less than what I did before pregnancy. Then I had to go through some difficult times and before I knew, i was at 203! Gained almost 30 lbs! I started WW and lost 17 lbs in 2 months...but then I couldn't afford WW so I stopped WW and thought I would do it myself.
    It didn't go well so I started WW again when I could afford it again and lost 5 lbs again but then I don't know what happened...I just drifted away from it. Throughtout this, I never really worked out at all.

Well, after that, I knew I was gaining weight slowly but I just didn't want to see the number so I kept avoiding the scale in the bathroom. One day, I went up on the scale and it was 208! The most I've ever weighed... and no matter what I try to wear, it was getting me depressed. Whenever I go out, it took me "forever" to decide what to wear just because what I wore last year didn't fit me anymore. Every piece I try and take off, my self-esteem was going down and down. I was always putting myself down, feeling ugly and fat...and one day, I saw advertisement for Curves on Internet and decided to give it a try. Just working out gave me more energy and now my whole body feels a lot better, my back pain is almost gone, I feel a lot better. So I decided to use this chance and take it for long run and lose weight for good this time.

So, you see? I don't really have "BIG" motivation but I think wanting to be healthy, sick of feeling like crap, finally got to me. I never thought I'd feel so good after working out but every day, I look for the next day's exercise and that just "wow"s me...
  • Husband told me that my eating was getting out of hand (this is after I devoured a medium pan crust pizza) and that he was losing attraction for me.
  • Quote: Husband told me that my eating was getting out of hand (this is after I devoured a medium pan crust pizza) and that he was losing attraction for me.
    My boyfriend said something similar and my friends all condemned him to bad boyfriend ****. I just figured he was being honest in a very straightforward way. I admit it was part of my motivation, although I had came to the realization of needing to be healthy by myself before his comments.