The All New 40's Chat

You're on Page 10 of 26
Go to
  • Morning girls.

Biggest Loser so glad to see Ali win. She looked so good last night. When they voted her out she told them she would be the biggest loser and she did it

It's always good to see them all at the finale and see how much weight they have lost. Good to see Bernie win the 100,000.

Inspires us all to keep on track.
  • Rennie, Your rug is beautiful. I had forgotten you were working on a wolf. My oldest daughter would just love it.

Clyde, Ali was never one of my favorites, but it was good to see a woman win. The Final show is always kind of a let down for me. A little tiny applause for Bernie and then on with the show. An even tinier shout out for the couple who did it at home and won. Then they announce Ali the winner and the show is over. So antichlimatic (spelling?). For me anyway. I thought it was weird that they showed her eating several flavors of frozen yogurt in the middle of the night. It just seemed like a set up for a set-back series or something. I know, I'm reading stuff into it.

I've been having that kind of week. I've really had to keep my mouth shut a lot this week in fear what I'm really thinking just may come flying out. I can't blame it on PMS I just feel like nearly everyone is not doing their job right. I know, who died and made me boss! It's probably just because this time of year is so hectic and so many things need to be wrapped up etc...I'm praying and breathing a lot, because I know next week I probably won't feel the same way about many of this weeks "issues." Keep your fingers crossed I don't alienate anyone at the spring concert today, because my beef for today is that a teacher is singing the solo part for my 5th graders song. She's not even the music teacher. My feeling is, people take off work to hear the children perform. If the song is too difficult for the kids then a different song should have been chosen. I know the 5th grade girls feel upstaged so to speak. This is their time to shine not feel like background. Ok, there I've had my session. Thank you all for listening. Breath...in with the good out with the bad...
  • Oh my gosh. It was cold this morning. It's mid-April in the South ... what the HECK?????

Brrr.

GT - I think you need to have been here 30 days and make a certain number of posts before you can get a ticker. Once you hit those requirements, the option comes up in your User CP.

• lovn
    Everyone here keeps trying to steal it lol. I said, this isn't ours I am doing it for someone else and they are giving it as a Christmas present. Hubby said ohhhhhhhhhhhh well darn make me one. He has no idea the person my friend is giving it to for Christmas is him lol. I had no idea either until I showed it to her. She was having it made for her husband lol. Picked another one for me to do for him. I do know how you feel. I see that at my daughters school too. This is suppose to be their moment in the sun. Let the adults go somewhere else lol.

gt
    Hello. Once you have been here for 30 days and have posted enough you will be able to get a ticker. Darn that is cold for down in that neck of the woods. Took me a couple of months but I was lazy and didn't get my workouts done sooner in the day many times so I didn't get to work on the rug. Now, that is how I make myself get my workouts done lol I want to work on my rugs. 2 to 3 pounds a week loss WOW I am happy to get 1 pound a week lol. What secret weapon do you have to lose that much lol.

Photo
    I think mine would make me sleep outside if he could. He runs the whole darn house lol.

Slash
    Thank you, I really enjoy doing them. Have a few more to get done then I can start to embodier my table cloth and napkins. Hope I get to keep this one lol. It really can depend on how big the rug is and how much time I can find to put into it lol. Sometimes not a lot but I try to have my workouts done by 10 pm so I can work on it for a few hours each night while I watch old tv shows on my computer. This one took me a couple of months.
  • Lovn: I feel that same way about the final show of biggest loser. I actually had never watched it until this season, but I thought that the ending was just blah. It kind of freaks me out about Mark and Kelly though. What I mean is that Mark was at 156 pounds. 156 pounds??? for a man??? That just seems way to thin. And then when Kelly was so upset that she couldn't exercise like she wanted because of a herniated disk. What? Sure the money would be great if you win overall, but at what cost? I just thought that they were being crazy about playing the game and they aren't thinking of staying healthy. I was glad to see a woman win, and I think Ali looked awesome.
    Oh, and I can't believe that they would have a teacher sing a solo. Are you kidding me? It isn't about the teachers or adults. It's about the kids having their time in the sun. (Of course, today is a day for me to be on a soap box. I actually made the comment to my Mom that I didn't think that I like anyone here at work today. I'm a real ray of sunshine.)

GT: I think it is 30 posts, too, that you have to make before getting a ticker. I hope that your farm is ok. That just sounds like such a great thing to have all of that produce. I don't even have a garden right now because I just can't take the time to take care of it. Fortunately, we have lots of farmers markets around here.

Photo: Getting sick of the cold air here, too!

Clyde: I agree that TBL keeps us on track. I look at where Kelly started and it isn't that far from where I am. She looked awesome last night. Maybe I can do it too!! Wish I could go away for a few months to work on it, but that just isn't possible. I really doubt that I'd have a job when I came back!
  • Oh I wish we had more farmer's markets here. I have a small patch in my back yard where I put a few tomatoes and peppers every year (and thank heavens I didn't plant last week when it was warm!) and I have herbs out front, but I'd love to have room for a real nice sized veggie garden.

• morning all! Beautiful rug, Rennie.

Two hours to donate whole blood this morning. I'm a hard poke and apparently she wanted to be extra slow and cautious. Good grief. I forgot about the appointment and didn't exercise this morning before work, so in that regard I'm a bit screwed since I can't do it now tonight. Oh, well. Look at the silly calendar next time!

Gal here at the office is on her third recurrance of breast cancer. It's in her pelvis and spine this time, they have her on oral chemo. I have no idea, she's hardly in the office because apparently it makes her hands and feet hyper sensitive. Anyway, turns out her brother was in South Africa, visiting a friend and doing shark diving. The boat capsized, he drowned. I thought I had stress, guess it's time to shut up and suck it up! I have found since I admitted I was probably unconsciously stressed it has gotten better. Acknowledgement works, who knew. Now to turn it to my advantage . . .
  • PhotoChick, I use to do a really nice big garden and canned or froze everything we didn't eat fresh, but then one year I had 3 children playing fall sports and almost everything went to seed. I felt so bad I didn't plant another for 5 years. Finally, this past year we planted a small garden so much wouldn't go to waste and we had terrible growing weather. lol I think we're sticking with just flowers this year.

Kappy, Way to get your chin up!!!

The program was very nice today, but the teacher did so upstage the children. It was a beautiful piece with a powerpoint of American Tears running at the same time. I just think it would have been more appropriate for Veteran's Day or something when many adults are involved and the subject matter more suited. There were a lot of non dry eyes in the house though so.....and she hit enough flat notes to make the grouch in me happy! Really, I'm not a bad person I just play one in my pretend life lol
  • I could have a garden, I have the room, but for now I think I'll stick to making sure the existing plants and grass stay green. And... I'll continue to blame it on the kids and their busy little schedules!

Kappy: Sometimes hearing what others have to go through really puts our lives in perspective. I feel sorry for myself occasionally and that usually puts me face to face with someone who has much more to worry about than what I must deal with!

Lovn: It's ok to have evil thoughts. Sometimes we have to keep them to ourselves, but it's ok if they stay on the inside!!
  • Lovnmom - Why was everyone crying? Was it a song that just hit that certain area of your soul that everyone can relate to? Just wondering.

Kappy - Wow - your really brave to give blood in the first place. I've never done it but wanted to so many times. The last time I tried, they wouldn't take it because they said I didn't have enough iron in my blood but that was about 15 years ago. Maybe I'll get brave enough to do it again soon. I was A LOT skinnier then, say about 125lbs. Those were the days!

PhotoChick - what kind of herbs are you growing and are they in the ground or in pots? I'd love nothing better than to grow my own herbs. Any suggestions on how to get started?

Slashnl - It really is great to have such a large garden. You see - I've actually never had a garden before last year. My dad passed away last year and I inherited his farm in Alma. Since then, my husband and I have tried to keep his dream going by growing this garden. You see, when he lived at the farm, most of the people in that area were farmers and slowly, the farmer's wives were becoming widowed, so what he would do is grow these gardens and make sure all the "widow women" had plenty to keep them fed in through the winter. So that's what my husband and I do too, so everyone has enough fresh veggies to eat. It keeps me close to him. Like I said - didn't know anything about it, but do now! I've learned pretty fast.

ShyMoment - I'm on the Metabolic Research plan - nothing else has seemed to work for me - but this one seems to be keeping me on track.

Hope everyone has a good day - wish me luck - it's weigh in night! I always weigh more when I weigh in the afternoon - Yuck!
  • Diane, You know it really isn't an excuse. That's just life. We both are very actively involved with our children and there are just going to be things we put on the back burner others may feel are for sure a front burner priority. Don't make excuses, be proud your priorities are so lined. You good mommy you!!!....as for the being mean on the inside, thankfully, my best friend and I think pretty much the same about most things. We are each other's safe outlet. We let it rip knowing it won't go any further thus avoiding ulcers!!

gt, Yes, the song is called American Tears and there is a power point presentation that goes with the song. The pictures are of 9/11, John Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Neil Armstrong etc...many of our greatest and saddest moments in American history. I believe it has gone around on the internet. Like I said, it's a truly moving piece just not my thing for the elementary spring concert. More in keeping with Memorial or Veteran's Day...on to you. I think what you are doing with your garden is monumentally cool!!! You are helping others while keeping your father's memory alive. Were you two very close? You must have been for you to honor him in this way. Neat!

Got out for a nice long walk with M this morning. Glad we got going sooner than usual, because it's raining now. I put a new meatball recipe in the crockpot we'll be enjoying them on hoagie rolls broiled w/ mozzarella..I've eaten very little today so I can enjoy tonight!! My dishes are washed and 2 loads of laundry are done. I can so here my book and a cup of coffee calling my name.

Hope you're having a terrific Thursday!
  • Afternoon girls.

Just got in from a nice long walk. It's gorgeous here today in the 70's. I had to get my sunblock out and put on my capris for the first time this year. I have very fair skin and can burn easily in 70 degree weather.

My weigh in today lost 2 lbs. The two I gained last week

I'm thinking about getting some plants and flowers tomorrow. Need to get some colour around here. My friend and I looked at flowers last week, lovely hanging baskets.

Need to get some laundry done and get tidied up before my gang come home.
  • GT - I live in a townhome and have a patch of yard in front and a patch in back that's "mine" (i.e. not maintained by the HOA and that I can plant what I want).

In the front planted directly into the ground I have:
    Rosemary
    Lavender
    Sage
    Oregano
    Lemon Thyme
    Basil (this is an annual, so I reseed/replant every spring)

In the back in the ground I have:
    Creeping Rosemary (more ornamental than for food)
    Verbena

In pots on the back patio I have:
    Cilantro
    Chives
    Sweet Marjoram
    Mint
    Catmint (for the cat)

I also grow garlic around my rosebushes.

Herbs, IME, are the easiest things to grow. Seriously, all I did was put the rosemary, lavender, and sage into the ground and let them do their thing. The oregano will take over if you let it (and i almost did) so I wound up digging it up and moving it to a more restricted part of the yard. I might wind up digging it up again and movign it to a pot.

Right now my rosemary is about 4 ft tall and blooming like crazy. I will cut it back in about a week and peel the stems to use as skewers for grilling. I let the sage get to leggy this fall, and whacked it all off at the base, so it's just now starting to send green shoots out again.

But seriously ... I abuse my herbs and it seems the more I abuse them, the better they grow !

• Hi everyone! I am new this website/forum/thread, and I'm glad I found it...it might be what saves me from going NUTS!

By way of introduction, I'm 45, married, one 11 year old child (on the spectrum for autism). I live in Connecticut but am a born 'n bred New Yorker. I work full time.

Obviously I have weight issues. In December of 2006 - the day after Christmas, although I'm Jewish, so it was a quiet day for me - I had a heart attack. Long story short, I made a good recovery and it set me on the path to changing how I live. Of course I was overweight at the time, and had a cholesterol level through the ceiling. After recovery and cardio rehab, I managed to get my cholesterol way down (thank you, Lipitor!), and after about 10 months, lost 15 pounds of the 50 I wanted to lose.

I see my cardiologist 2x a year, and at my last appt. back in October, he told me to lose 10 pounds by my next visit...which is next week. Didn't happen; instead, I gained 10. I'm now just a few pounds lighter than I was when I had my heart attack.

I'm ready to give up. I've changed my diet quite a bit (it's not perfect, I know, but it's much improved) and I exercise vigorously, between riding horses and pretty good treadmill sessions. It makes no difference, it seems. Short of simply not eating, I feel as if it's just never going to happen. And part of me is almost ready to just accept it...which I know I can't do.

Anyway, I tend to internalize all my negativity and now realize that I have to let it out somewhere or I will go mad. Between the stress of having a challenged child, a full time (albeit great) job, running the household, dealing with a horrible mother...I'm at wit's end!!

So - thanks for letting me vent. I promise that future posts will not be so negative - believe it or not, I'm actually a pretty fun and upbeat person. I'm just in some dire straits right now!
  • LetsGoMets, don't think about the big number just take it one pound at a time. Don't give up you will get lots of support on here. Are you keeping track of what you eat or are you maybe not eating enough?

I understand how you feel having a mentally challenged child myself. There are days I want to eat everything in sight.

Wish you luck at your doctor's visit next week.

Keep on posting.