I ran for 20 minutes straight!!!!!!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I can't believe I actually did it!

I started running on Jan 1st doing the Couch to 5K plan http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ...

I had a bout of really bad shin splints in February which threw me off the plan for a long while, but I got back on track again... taking it at my own pace, not theirs! It's a really, really good plan. For years I've said to myself : "When I lose weight I'll start running again" and made every excuse under the sun for not doing it now. I get asthma. I have bad knees. I'm too fat. Blah. Blah.

Well... each session has a five minute warm up walking and a five minute cool down... walking. The first one is running for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes.

For the last few weeks I have been doing run for 8 minutes, walk for five minutes, run for 8 minutes. Then all of a sudden the next one on the list is : "Run for 20 minutes". .... It was just too abrupt for me and it scared me! That jump from 8 minutes to 20 seemed extreme, so I kept stalling.

Today I did it! I ran for 20 minutes straight! Actually it was 21 minutes ... just because I could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all of you who think you can't do it..... I just want to say..... YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!

*does a happy dance*

Just wanted to share
  • Quote: Today I did it! I ran for 20 minutes straight! Actually it was 21 minutes ... just because I could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For all of you who think you can't do it..... I just want to say..... YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!
    You are incredible!

I always wanted to run, but my knees have become so bad that I'm sure I wouldn't be able to. Maybe someday though.

Keep up the awesome work!
  • Way to go!!!!
  • Isn't that the most awesome feeling? to you for doing it!!!!!
  • Congrats Kerry - that is awesome!
  • Gret job!!!!
  • WooHoo! for you!

I remember how that felt...you deserve every single bit of accomplishment that you feel!

And thanks for posting...I am looking forward to having that feeling again when I've shed a few pounds more. Your post made my 'mouth water' so to speak!

Ti'an
  • Woot! Good for you!
  • Thanks, everyone!!!!!

Ti'an, I'm glad I made your mouth water!!! lol ... It really is awesome. I love it! Heck... never thought I'd be saying that about exercise....
  • Fantastic...way to go!

• Wow... that is great... Keep going... I'm going to get there too.
  • Wow! That is just too cool! I can barely run for 20 SECONDS!!!!

Linda
  • Oh wow, that rocks! YOU rock! Great job!
  • Wow - high fives all around! I'm going to have to try that program. Good for you!
  • I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous! I can't get past two minutes, but I keep working at it. I never thought I could run two minutes, so I've already proven myself wrong once. Great job!