"Low Carb Fudge" Are these SBD Legal in any phase?

• I saw these on Recipezaar and was wondering if they are legal..

Low Carb Fudge Recipe #120111
    You can eat rich creamy fudge AND stay on your diet? What more is there to love?!
    by Mercy
    15 min | 15 min prep | SERVES 16
    1/4 cup margarine or butter
    2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (2 squares)
    24 (1 g) packets Equal sugar substitute
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened (not fat free)
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Melt butter over low heat.
    Add chocolate and stir until melted.
    Remove from heat and stir in sweetener and vanilla.
    Combine the chocolate mixture with the cream cheese and beat until smooth.
    Stir in nuts and spread in lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
    Refrigerate until firm.
  • i don't think so.

we don't use butter or margarine
    we don't use full fat cream cheese
    we don't count carbs.
  • If I were to sub smart balance for the butter and lf cream cheese would it work? I was mostly worried about the unsweetened chocolate.
  • the unsweeted chocolate is the least of your worries.

dark chocolate is fine on SBD....
  • According to the book.....
    Dr A does mention about some specific margarines that he "approves" like Fleschmann' Premium Olive Oil margarine. He doesn't say outright you can never ever have butter and he even gives an example in his book that the use of butter on a white potatoe along with sour cream will slow down the glycemic effects of eating a white potatoe. Of course, this would be one of those food items you would eat "sparingly" as his food guideline suggests.

So, if you make this with the idea that it is something you have on rare occasions I would say and try to adapt it using the food guidelines in either the book or where you see the list posted here.

This is not a food plan about denying yourself an occasional indulgence. There are some nutritional and antioxidantbenefits in the unsweetened cacao (go for 70% or better), for example. Dr. A. does have chocolate on the approved food list as well. Just get the kind I mentioned here.

I have a homemade fudge recipe that I make for my DH all the time and I have been trying to figure out how to adapt that to the SBD. I have already tried using the above mentioned margarine but it seems to lack the rich flavor that it in the "original" (and obviously not SBD!).

I think you could try and move some of those ingredients around with some SBD approved ones and see how it works out. I know I am experimenting in my kitchen and if/when I can come up with a good tasting fudge that is SBD approved, I will post it here!!
  • This looks like it could be adapted to be SBD friendly. http://www.diet-recipes-to-go.co.uk/...ndy__Diet_.htm
  • Well, using butter substitute would probably screw up the fudge chemistry but give it a try. Come back and post another thread with results if anyone tries it.