It's Over - Finally! - OT

• Well the drama finally ended this morning when after almost a week of "labour" I passed into the world an ugly, sharp, nasty little kidney stone. I spent from 7:00am Friday morning until 9:00pm Friday night at the ER hooked up to the IV on enough pharmacy grade anti-inflamatory and morphine to knock out a horse - and still was in complete agony! I kept puking because of the morphine - all the while I am in the hallway of the ER because they ran out of the curtained "rooms". I actually didn't care too much about anything at that point. The did an ultrasound and found the stone was lodged about 1 inch from my bladder. I really didn't want surgery, the urologist agreed that if I passed it that far I could tough out the rest of the way - he also made a point of telling my husband that "some people say they are tough - but your wife is tough - this is some of the worst pain a human can experience". Paul said I was slurring and unitelligible at that point but the doctor kept on talking to me like I was making complete sense. Maybe he is just used to talking to drugged people. They still admitted me just in case but at 9:00pm the pain just stopped and I was sure it was gone so they let me go home. I was right - it popped out this morning. I'm still a little sore - but mainly just feel like crap after being on so many chemicals for 5 days straight.
    I'm getting up bright and early tomorrow and going to the gym for a good workout and a nice sweat afterwards in the sauna!
  • WOW!
    Thank goodness that's over! I can only imagine how painful it must have been!

I'm so glad you're feeling better

Linda
  • I'm so glad it's over for you. You are one tough cookie!!
  • WOW!! can only imagine! I've been told my kidneys are calcified and that i have the potential to have kidney stones break free and pass! I sure hope not! Glad your out of the hospital and good idea to flush your system of all those drugs!
  • I'm so relieved for you. I lived at VGH for about 6 weeks and I remember about not caring what other people thought when I got sick. Sometimes you are so sick, it really doesn't matter anymore (i guess the same with being modest while having a baby!)

Take it EASY at the gym tomorrow....you've been through a rough go and enjoy sweating it out in the sauna.

From one lotus eater to another,
    Ginger
  • Ouch!!! Thank goodness that's over. You are stronger than me thats for sure.
  • *whew* Glad it's over!
  • Glad you were able to pass it on your own! I had one last summer and it was the pits! Mine was probably to the point yours was but it just would not pass. I ended up having surgery to have it removed which I will never do again! The discomfort after surgery was pretty bad too. Would never wish the pain of a kidney stone on my worst enemy! Ouch!!!
  • OMG. I can't imagine the pain. Glad to hear it's finally gone.
  • Yikes! I've never had a kidney stone, but I know several people who have, its not fun thats for sure!! I'm glad its finally over, and you can get back to your ole' self!!!
  • I'm weary from just reading about it....
    take it easy, healthymama, that was "something else"!!

glad to hear you are okay now. Let's hope that never happens again.