Hello! A newbie who wants to lose weight!

• I have tried many diets in the past. I know all the rules, at least for the most part, but I have issues with willpower.

My husband and I both have to lose weight. We've gone to a nutritionist, but again I didn't learn anything new. I just have to DO it. Don't eat empty calories. Don't eat junk food. Choose whole grains over simple carbs. Have more vegetables. Drink more water and don't drink pop (my biggest weakness - but I haven't had any pop for a week). Limit fat, and choose good fats over bad fats. Portion control. Etc. I think my problem is mainly motivation and willpower.

I was naturally thin growing up, and through my 20s, and I just never developed good eating habits because bad eating habits didn't cause me problems - at least not the immediately visible problem of weight. Then my metabolism got slower as I got older, and I had a baby and put on weight there, and with my bad eating habits, I ended up with a lot of extra weight on me!

I have been lurking and there are so many people who post here who have been truly successful, and who have maintained for a long period of time. Seeing that is huge motivation. I'm really hopeful I'll be successful this time. I want to get really old someday and getting to a healthy weight will help in that goal.
  • Welcome, JaneyMay!

I'm with you. I know everything there is to know about losing weight. And like you, I was slim and fit in my teens/early 20s while eating massive quantities of junk. A hard habit to break.
    As you said, we just have to do it!

Please have a good search around the forum... there are many great groups to join, and I'm sure you'll find a few areas that are comfortable for you.
    Best wishes!
  • JaneyMay,

Have you tried taking it a step at a time? You don't have to change a lifetime of bad eating habits overnight, in order to lose weight. I've been having great success this time with choosing 1 or 2 habits to work on each month, for eating (like, say no to swiss cheese, or get down to "normal" meat portions), and for exercise (like, join a gym, or start walking 3 days a week). Sometimes I learn the habit before the end of the month, and add a new one to work on. At the end of the month, I assess my progress, move any habits I'm still working on to the next month, and write another one or two new ones I think are realistic to work on. I know we're all different, but thought I'd throw it out there, in case it helps give you ideas for coming up with your own plan, that is custom made to work for you. You're the only one that can figure out the best plan for you, don't forget that!