Sneak Attack: True or False?

• I just saw in an article online that some government group was wanting to get an amendment made that would allow companies to use sythetic products in food labeled as organic. Is this true? Was it approved or shot down? I can't find anything for sure, unless it hasn't finished yet.
  • Synthetic ingredients can be used in processed foods labeled as organic, and have always been allowed. This was last re-affirmed in a 2005 bill, but was part of the original definition of "Certified Organic" as created in 2002. A processed food can be labeled as "certified organic" if that food consists of 95% or more certified organic ingredients. An item can be labeled "made with organic ingredients" if that food consists of 70-94% certified organic ingredients.

The main group that lobbied for the change was the Organic Trade Association (which includes both large organic producers like Kraft as well as a whole lot of smaller organic producers)...the bill wasn't actually introduced by a government panel or group. The main opposition was the Organic Consumers Association.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/oct2...5-10-28-01.asp
  • Thanks for the link. This is going in my current project for my holistic class for things the government and FDA have done to keep us in a state of poor health.
  • Wow, I bet that's a HUGE file!
  • Just for more clarification, there is also a 100% organic label...and those foods can be labeled as such if all ingredients in the food are organic, but non-organic or synthetic ingredients are used in processing (for example, to clean processing equipment).

And if you're doing the report, I'd look at the 0.5 grams of trans fat allowed in foods labeled "trans fat free", despite clear, scientifically studied and documented links between trans fat and health issues.
  • Oh I am putting that one in there. As well as aspartame being proven to cause cancer in animals. And that they use mercury(at least five times the safe amount), formaldahide, and propyleme glycol(anti-freeze) in flu vaccines. SO many things I could put in it. *grins*
  • Have you read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan? It breaks down what happens behind the scenes in agribusiness, including the controversies around organic labeling. It's an interesting read and might be useful for your project.
  • Another good one is Marion Nestle's Food Politics!