Phase 2 dry cereals

• I've had the SBD dry cereal with skim milk and particularly like the one with whole grains and strawberries. Is there any other cereal anyone can recommend that is phase 2 acceptable, low sugar and whole grain? It seems almost every cereal has soooo much sugar, much more than allowed. The only other healthy cereals I seem to see are by Kashi. Some contain brown rice syrup and I've never heard of this. The south SBD cereal has evaporated cane juices so I know this is must be acceptable. Thanks for your help!!
  • There is a SBD cereal that has "yogurt bites" in it that I think tastes good. Also, All-Bran extra fiber which I add a splenda packet and banana or berries. Other than that, oatmeal, cooked at home and heated up at work with cinamon, splenda and nuts. This go round on SBD, I have not incorporated dry cereal into my diet yet. I have used SBD cereal bars for b-fast or a snack.
  • I found a generic version of all bran thats actually pretty low in sugar. I occasionally have Red River hot cereal too but it doesn't really agree with me.
  • Cereal is one of my favorite foods and it has been a wake up call to see how much sugar is added to how many cereals! I mean even non-sugary tasting ones are loaded with it. I find it to be one of the saddest aisles at the grocery store (right after the bread isle).

The ones I have found are:
    • Fiber One - the basic version
    • Shredded Wheat - basic, bite size
    • Shredded Wheat and Bran - bite size
    • Grape nuts - basic version (I use it to add some crunch to the Fiber One - 1/2 serving of each!)
  • Really? Grape Nuts cereal is okay? If so, this is exciting news for me. I thought I had checked it out once before and it didn't meet the guidelines. This used to be my favorite cereal. The only list of ingredients I could find online has "Wheat Flour" as the first ingredient. Do you guys think it's okay? I'll have to take another look at the grocery store this weekend.
  • I found one recently at our local organic store. I'm not a big cereal eater...occasionally at night when I want something. It's the "Heritage O's".
    Talk about stand up to milk...quite a crunch too. It does have cane juice listed in it, but with 3g. sugar, not that bad and it doesn't cause cravings for me.
  • I know I have Grape Nuts in the cupboard and that I have eaten them some - when I get home I will check the ingredient list. I can not seem to find out on line if it is "legal" or not.

Ally
  • I too have eaten grapenuts - not alot but I like to put a tsp or tbsp on my yogurt sometimes
  • Oatmeal all the way for me. I love it so much more than cereal and milk these days!

Kara
  • I'm a huge fan of oatmeal, too. Whether it's the regular oatmeal, or steel-cut oats, I love them both. I really like hot Ezekiel cereal, too.

Grapenuts are NOT okay. I don't have any on hand right now to check the ingredients, but I know there is something in there that is not SBD friendly. I used to eat them almost every day pre-SBD, either hot or cold

Schmoodle, if you are a big fan of Grapenuts, you should really try the Ezekiel cereals. They are very similar to Grapenuts.
  • I love to put a little Uncle Sam cereal in with my yogurt.
  • I mix Uncle Sam with Kashi Go Lean 50/50. Go Lean is too sweet for me straight.
  • According to my box of Grape Nuts the ingredients are:
    whole grain whaet flour
    wheat flour
    malted barley flour
    salt
    dried yeast
    soy lecithin

A serving has:
    7g fiber
    4g sugar

Not perfect - but not horrible in comparison to MOST mass market cereals.

I also LOVE oatmeal - especially steel cut. I make a big batch and divide it into servings. But, cold cereal is comforting to me and some days it meets some emotional needs/cravings that no other breakfast comes close to!