How do you handle stress?

• I work for a company that operates in chaos. My stress level is high. I get home and am often so worn out from the day that it's a fight to exercise.
    Anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with this? (yes, I am looking for another job.)
  • I actually use exercise to handle my stress. I'm lucky, there's a small gym in the building where I work, and I look forward each day to just getting on a treadmill and working my body to get rid of everything! I never realized before just how great exercise can be for dealing with stresses.
  • I know how you feel. I often come home just dragging!! But I have to agree with Faerie, the exercise does help. If you can talk yourself into just doing a little, it helps a whole lot! And I usually get going and do a fair amount! I hate the wind...which has been just awful in west Texas of late - so an indoor activity helps keep me going when I won't go outside. Good luck on your job hunt, and in the meantime, give yourself to exercise gently!
  • I'm like Faerie.... I also exercise to monitor stress. All I have to say is if you want to eat when your stressed, paint your toe nails. Seriously that, totally kills the craving... for me anyway lol. Do something you enjoy when you stress (that isn't unhealthy, like binging). Dance, sing, go on the internet and chat with people, watch tv, paint your nails, etc. Good luck!
  • get up and 5-530 and go to the gym, seriously--that is the only time for me to workout, I can sit around all sat & sunday and never work out!
    my job is crazy stressful, I used to cry, but now I just get pissed at people and I am kind of mean at work. I don't mean to be, but it just comes off of me sometimes.
  • i have began to use the treadmill as my stress reliever... the other day the bf and i were bickering and on the way to the gym... i told him to leave me alone on the treadmill for 45 mins then i will be ok... and i was... as the blue team on TBL says... i like to walk it out (god i never thought i would enjoy exercising)
  • I'm dealing with major stress issues a lot recently too (relationships, time, money, work--my field is high stress, so theres really no getting around that for me) and I've found that my fitness blog has kind of turned into a stress management blog as of late.

When I was going to a therapist regularly a couple years ago, we came up with some stress management techniques, and even though sometimes I'm so stressed out that all I want to do is stay/get in bed and stay there till everything goes away, I have to remind myself that its better just to take the steps that I know will help me feel better instead.

It doesn't always work, I'll admit. I've been struggling lately to fight the urge to shut down. BUT, the best advice that I can give is that even if you don't FEEL like working out, just go do 15 or 20 minutes of intense cardio. In stressful times, think of it as more of a mental-health exercise than a physical fitness thing.

Second, think of what doesn't make you stressed and do those things. It sounds really obvious, but really I think in times of high stress we forget the most obvious things. For me, its reading, cleaning, long baths, working out, talking to friends, crafty stuff... you get the idea. For you, it might be something totally different. But, I'm trying to set aside a few minutes each nice before bed to do something that I know will calm me down.

Oh! But most importantly, and I think this goes for anyone who has reasons not to exercise after work.. try working out in the morning BEFORE you get frazzled. People who work out in the morning are more likely to be consistent AND, the good-feeling work out brain chemicals could keep you sane through the rest of the day.
  • I agree with the morning workouts. i was having the same kind of problem and no matter what i said i would do or try to do workout-wise to deal with stress, i would be too stressed to do anything. I've been getting up at 5:30 now though to workout and it makes a huge difference. I kind of secretly love that time too because i feel like i'm the only one awake and it's a big secret that the time exists (weird, i know, but kind of cool) Plus, it sets the mood for the day, i don't have time to talk myself out of it, i'm less cranky in the morning because I've been up and moving longer before i interact with people (haha!), and when i get home and am stressed, i don't feel guilty unwinding in front of the tv for a little bit or taking a little snooze. I recommend you try it for 2 weeks and see how it goes. (2 because the first one, at least for me, I was really tired by the end of the day but now I get a little energy boost from it instead)

Good luck!
  • My job is not all that stressful, even though it does have its moments. BUT when you combine work with being a single parent of 2 little ones then ya, the stress factor definately raises.

I am gonna go with the exercising in the morning. I used to be a night worker outer, but was just so exhausted at the end of the day that it was hard to do and I never really felt productive at it. So, now I workout in the morning and it seems to actually make my mood better. No more morning grumpies for me...

Here is to hoping you find another job shortly!
  • I'm another one for morning workouts - I'm out of the house by just after 5 and I get in at least an hour workout before the rest of my day starts. I find it really helps with the stress of the day and has had a major effect on my energy level...no more 11am lull sitting in lecture and I'm fine in surgery in the afternoons. Plus, I really feel it mentally sets me up for the day eating-wise...I think "I'm not going to blow the work I put in this morning by eating X" :-)

Good luck!
  • Thanks everyone! I LOVE my sleep so every time I've tried morning workouts I've failed to get up for them! BUT I'll give it a shot and make myself do it for 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks for the support!
  • I clean/declutter, read novels, read magazines, cook/bake something healthy, call a friend, read/write emails to friends, play with my dogs or groom them, take them for walks, buff and file my nails and put on lotion, take a shower and get a little dolled up afterwards, drink Ionic Fizz (magnesium/calcium drink), be in nature if it's warm outside, go shopping, stroll around Borders, get my eyebrows done, get a haircut, see friends, visit my grandma, make myself hot cocoa on the stove using 60 cal almond milk and good quality cocoa mix, log on to 3FC, hug a family member, watch old b & w movies, do a quick workout, etc. etc.

hope that gave you some ideas
  • Stresstime=Yogatime for me.